Royal Daffodil: the River Mersey ferry evacuated 7,461 service personnel from Dunkirk
There is a lot of confusion over the role of the Royal Daffodil at Dunkirk.
After the ferry boat Daffodil returned from Zebrugge and gained her 'Royal' prefix, she was refitted and continued in service until 1933 when she was sold to New Medway Steam Packet Co. A new ferry was built for Wallasey Corporation and this was called Royal Daffodil II, the suffix being necessary as the original boat was still named Royal Daffodil.
In 1936 the New Medway Steam Packet Co became part of the General Steam Navigation Co and in 1938 the original Royal Daffodil was sold and broken up, however a new ship, built by William Denny & Bros Dumbarton in 1939, was controversially given the name Royal Daffodil, so the Wallasey ferry remained Royal Daffodil II.
It was the GSN Royal Daffodil which took part in Operation Dynamo, not the Wallasey ferry.
The Royal Daffodil returned to service travelling between Tilbury and France after the war and was finally broken up in 1967.