A lot of re-naming of roads was done when Birkenhead became a County Borough
in 1887 . They took over Rock Ferry-where there was already a Wilton Road and
had prev been in Higher Bebington Township . Also Prenton and Oxton were
absorbed into Birkenhead and some road names were duplicated in different
areas so ,over the course of the next few years, some name changes were put
into place. The various Local Govmt changes in Bebington in 1902 and
espec in 1937 lead to similar changes in Road and Street names being made.
Grove Road ,Rock Ferry was originally Portland Street ( don't know reason for that
change) .St Pauls Road was originally Limekiln Lane. Indeed there was a Limekiln Lane Railway Station for approx 20 years!