WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 12,743 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
The History of Wallasey Village
by PaulWirral - 1st Jul 2009 6:03pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
lincle 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Awesome
Wiki Master
Awesome
Wiki Master
There was me thinking this was a thread about alternative gifts 'For Him'.......I can just see it on Amazon.....'Prank all your friends and neighbours - stand at the side of the road in a hi-viz jacket....'

People who bought this item also bought: A Hi-viz jacket.

Special offer: Buy the cam and hi-viz jacket for £??

Google Ads
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by mrhanky
not trying to cause an argument but speeding isn't a criminal offence

All motoring offences (except parking offences in areas where enforcement has been handed over to local councils, rather than traffic wardens) come under Criminal Law, so there can be no doubt that speeding is a criminal offence. Motoring offences dealt with by means of fixed penalties don't create (or add to) a criminal record, whereas those dealt with in the courts DO form part of a criminal record.

Should you decide to have your day in Court, the criminal offence of speeding has many possible consequences including:

Acquittal in Court
Conviction in Court (appearance) - fine, points and record
Conviction in Court (in absence) - fine, points and record
Discretionary Police Caution - record
Discretionary FPN - fine, points, no record
Warning
No Action Taken

grin

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
I doubt 30mph and 35mph will have any difference in resulting pain, you've probably as much chance of being killed at 30mph as 35. I tend to stay on a pavement, so it probably will never affect me.

"C20 LET bang"
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by DavidB
I doubt 30mph and 35mph will have any difference in resulting pain, you've probably as much chance of being killed at 30mph as 35. I tend to stay on a pavement, so it probably will never affect me.
That arguement carries on forever, ie 30 to 35, 35 to 40, 40 to 45 etc.

In any case, statistics show otherwise, there is a zone up to about 30mph where you are reasonably likely to live, at 40mph upwards you are likely to be killed. 30-40mph is the 50/50 zone so to speak.

Don't forget it is not just death, there is severe maiming, physically or mentally etc. Even at 30mph you are likely to have a life long disablement of some sort. The speeds are likely to be lower where children are involved because there is a greater chance of going under the vehicle, whereas an adult may "just" have their legs destroyed at 30mph.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
When I was 7, I was hit at 40mph (when I was running across the road to get to an ice cream van - think this was on an actual advert about the same time!) - the driver had his leg in a cast as well! I wasn't harmed because I was chucked over the car. I had a massive graze on my chest where I slid on the road when I landed and cuts on every joint area. I got up and felt myself, and found my front was wet. I thought it was blood, but I soon found out I'd wet myself!
The advice I can give is pedestrians - stay on the pavement!!!

"C20 LET bang"
Forum Master
Forum Master
Some pedestrians deserve to get mowed down the way they wander into the road with no regard for themselves... I wouldn't take the chance when it comes to over a tonne of metal vs my 15 stone frame.
I am not condoning speeding or dangerous driving. But everyone needs to be scareful on the roads... including pedestrians.. and that goes for cyclists too!

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Don't start me on cyclists Phil raftl I used to live in Cambridge and they were a nightmare!! We nearly got taken out on the motorbike on a roundabout by some stupid foreign student on a bike who went round it the wrong way. The roundabout had trees, shrubs and flowers on it so you couldn't see what was coming towards you....the last thing you expect to see is someone on a bike!

We had to pull up to upright sharpish, the bikers amongst you will know how much of a mistake that can be when you're on a roundabout, even at only 15-20mph. The student then had the balls to kick off at US for making her fall onto the grass part of the roundabout! The car drivers behind us weren't best pleased either. The carnage that could have been caused, even at low speeds, doesn't bear thinking about.

They're no different up here either. The number of cyclists that don't cycle on the cycle path on the prom amazes me, as does the abuse you get if you tell them to get on the cycle bit. The ones that cycle on the pavement get on my nerves too! Some pedestrians are just as annoying when they walk on the cycle bit.

Rant over - for now raftl

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Contrary to popular belief, the police lose money on thier speed enforcement programmes, to the tune of milions per year, despite fines. So they (and the government) hardly do it to make money.

I was done for speeding in March, first ever offence in 6 years of driving, I was peeved off as I don't usually speed anywhere (and even more annoying is I know people who speed everywhere and never get caught), but at the end of the day, I was breaking the speed limit and I got caught, so you hold your hands up and get on with it.

I also got my car siezed on Friday because the MIB were showing no insurance held, and the [censored] I am, I didnt have the insurance certificate on me to prove otherwise. At first the constable was going to give me a producer, until her jobsworth mate came along and said it should be siezed. Just cost me £250 to get the car back, and the issue lay with my insurance company (Quinn Direct), though amazingly, my car was back on the database two days later!! What a pisstake, but lifes a bitch and shit happens!! I only nipped to PC World to get a laser printer, 2 minutes walk from my apartment and I gets pulled over on a drink-drive campaign, shows zero on the meter etc, and the plod wouldnt even let me nip home and get my insurance ceritifcate.

Lol. I agree with the enforcement of speeding etc, and at the end of the day, the plod can only go on what information they are provided with by the MIB. When that information is incorrect for whatever reason though, it can be costly, which is where I think it does become unfair - as is "procedure" whereby it was procedure not to allow me to walk down the road to get my insurance certificate. I only took it out pf the car a few weeks back to query my windscreen cover - costly mistake, and lesson learnt lol!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Glad you sorted it matey but I'd be ringing Quinn direct to see if you could get any costs back (it is their fault after all).

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
I had the same problem in the SAME location, PC World. Was it a grey BMW estate?
It's easy to get done for speeding if you're not concentrating on the +/- % of speed, I don't speed, but find it hard to stick at 30mph. It's just a done thing, like everything else in life.

"C20 LET bang"
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
It would help if the car manufacturers designed gearboxes with ratios that made sense to use at 30mph, on most cars, this is very much an in-between-gears speed.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Never had a car that felt as though I didnt have the right gear for 30mph think

Back to the main topic subject, I must admit its a bit of a "make the numbers up location", although there are a lot of industrial units there, with traffic pulling in / out, but I can think of better locations, in more built up areas, where they would be of more use.

The most pointless location I can think of is by the Toyota garage coming to the end of the M53! True, its a 40 limit, and people come round that corner still doing 50+ but.....

All accidents there seem to happen on the corner before the Toyota garage, so they are failing to slow people down in readyness for the corner and thus, they are not preventing an accident there.

Once passed Toyota there is a roundabout at the end of the motorway where you have to slow and give way anyway, its not like you come off the motorway and run directly in to a town center... think

So, I came to the conclusion that they are only protecting the slip road outside the Toyota garage (anyone remember an accident there confused ) or they are making the numbers up from people coming round the conrer to quick!

They would be better off in a different location IMO, its using places like this, that make little sense, that makes the type of enforcement look like a nice little earner....

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
Forum Master
Forum Master
It was only because dickheads superspeeding were crashing on that bend stuy which was why they put it down to 40. It was a perfectly safe bend to take at 70... in good weather conditions

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I know that Phil, you know that, but its no good the police standing after the bend and catching a car speeding as it comes sideways round the corner, crashing though the Toyota fence - if they want to prevent that, they need to set up before the bend.

And as for where they normally wait, thats where everyone is braking for the roundabout and there is very little danger of an accident... think

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
Forum Master
Forum Master
You are of course correct. There's no point in them being there at all. Although I have heard that Toyota do a mean coffee and donut whilst your car is being serviced. So maybe that explains the police presence?... not to be confused with what you get them for christmas - police presents...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,596 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,917 Spotted!