WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (3 invisible), 12,472 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
The History of Wallasey Village
by PaulWirral - 1st Jul 2009 6:03pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
lincle 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks all for the further interesting replies.

That was a very poetic description of the area by Hilda Gamlin! It is absolutely amazing how things have changed since then, and sadly how much was lost.

I had a look at the 70s aerial views over Birkenhead, it's great how that site lets the user zoom in so much for free. Until now, I didn't know a 1970s set existed for this area - I thought it was just done in the Google Earth era, so that's a good find. Great view of a passenger ship docked at Liverpool on there too! Perhaps an Irish ferry or something (I'm not sure TBH).

Great picture of the Borough Road tram, thanks for that. It's the first time I have ever seen a tram displaying "Borough Road" on it.

I once saw an old photo of some destroyed buildings on Borough Road which had been bombed in WWII. I remember on the photo seeing what looked like tram lines running along the road, but I was never sure if that was the case, or even if tram services had eneded by WWII. In any case, now we know clearly there was a tram service (presumably pre-war) and it's really good to see some direct evidence of it.

I also remember reading in either the "Birkenhead News" or "Wirral Globe" around the early '90s where it was stated as part of the ill-fated "Merseytram" scheme, trams would be running through the Queensway tunnel by 1998. Alas it never worked out like that, just wish I kept the cutting of it, as that small article always stuck in my mind.

Last edited by PaulTaters; 4th Nov 2010 2:10pm.
Google Ads
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
As for the Woodchurch Interchange, on those 1970s aerial photos, you can clearly see the path of the old Landican Lane, before it was diverted away from the junction. It's very clear, when compared with the 1876 OS map in the left-hand window.

I was surprised that when I opened up Google Earth, I could also just about make out the course of the old Landican Lane running across the field (appears as a slightly darker band) even on present-day photos.

The 1970s view also shows how Woodchurch Road was kept open to traffic during the construction of the junction, with vehicles actually using the slip roads before the main centre section was put in place.

Last edited by PaulTaters; 4th Nov 2010 2:34pm.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
More things worth seeing on the 1970s overhead views:-

New Brighton pier and landing stange are still there.

The number of ships in the docks and at Cammel Lairds on the Wirral side.

You can see a ferry at Woodside landing stage and two at Seacombe.

The sheer number of rail lines around the docks and the number of goods wagons just lying around in sidings.

The construction of the new Birkenhead Market and the buildings along Borough Road (like what is now the TJs building).

Grange Road before pedestrianisation and when it ran uninterrupted right though to Argyle street.

Rendel street branch of Queensway tunnel - what looks like toll booths still remaining.

Kingsway tunnel and approach. Toll booths are there, but not opened yet? No traffic on the appproach. Looks like construction still in progress.

I'm sure there are loads more interesting things on those photos.

P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Well spotted Paul. Quite right. The original alignment went from a bend at the trees, straight across the field to Woodchurch Road by the new** gas compound. A few yards away from where the compound is now, was a large cast iron green painted cabinet. It had a sign "North Western Gas Board" on it. There must have been a clockwork chart recorder or similar inside as there was always a loud ticking from within. Funny the things you remember.

Another thing that got the chop from that area at the time were the old mercury vapour street lamps. Huge cubic glass lanterns. The old mercury tubes weren't colour corrected and made you look like death on a bad day ! You could see all the veins in the back of your hand. Yuk !

** "new" as in 30 years ago. ha.ha.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Paul; just to put a few dates in for you. Kingsway tunnel opened in June 1971. Trams ran until 1937, but no doubt the tracks were there long after. Map of the tram system attached. There are some good pictures of Birkenhead here:
http://www.20thcenturyimages.co.uk/trolleyed/4/22/wirral-birkenhead%281%29.html

Attached Images
tracks.jpg (730.22 KB, 439 downloads)

Carpe diem.
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thanks yet again for digging up this further info, Chris. It's very interesting to see a map of the Birkenhead Tram network in its heyday.

Well I must say, my questions have been answered in greater detail than I ever could've imagined.

A big thank you to all on the thread.

Have to say I've now become addicted to using that site with the 1970s aerial photos on it. It's great to scroll around the Wirral on maximum zoom and where there's a building (Arrowe Park Hospital for example) or a road (Upton Bypass) that we all now take for granted, there are just fields there. Virtually the whole M53 is under construction on those photos. Been looking at J5 Hooton too. Really wish we had a 1940s or 1950s equivalent too of these photos - that would be great, but I don't think they exist.

I should post more of my (bit obscure and off-the-wall) questions soon if I get round to it, I'm just taking advantage of the fact that I'm off work this week and so have a few hours spare here and there - normally I'm too busy to check these things out in any depth. Cheers!

Newbeee
Newbeee
Hi Paul
If you go to the doctors surgery by Arrow Park gates you will find on the walls pictures of the old buildings of Woodchurch. I remember the old village built on the site now occupied by Meadowside school. I think I have a photo of the post office on pool lane on an old hard drive. I will post it (forgive the pun) if I find it.

Awesome
Wiki Master
Awesome
Wiki Master
[Linked Image] from www.old-map.co.uk

Right click to view image bigger. Think this covers J3/M53.

P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
I can see my house from here !!!!

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lazzah
Hi Paul
If you go to the doctors surgery by Arrow Park gates you will find on the walls pictures of the old buildings of Woodchurch. I remember the old village built on the site now occupied by Meadowside school. I think I have a photo of the post office on pool lane on an old hard drive. I will post it (forgive the pun) if I find it.
Hi Lazzah, thanks for the info, that's great. I look forward to seeing the photo if you happen to dig it out.

Originally Posted by Snooze

Right click to view image bigger. Think this covers J3/M53.

Thanks finding that for the map, Snooze. Yes, that's right where the junction is now. I saved a copy of the zoomed in version.

It's great to see this, from before when the M53 construction even started. I see the aforementioned "roundabout to nowhere" is on there and also of course the original alignment of Landican Lane.

Other things of interest include Prenton Bridge, the "laundry", the clay pit and the non-existence of many roads in the Durley Drive area. Cheers!

Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I found some old images of Woodchurch here:-
http://www.oldwirral.com/woodchurch.html

Pretty interesting site - it also has some old maps of WWII bomb damage around Birkenhead.

Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
sorry if off topic

http://www.oldwirral.com/woodchurch.html

Dr Frick is a wiki member
Was looking at the bomb maps part and it reminded me of a friend telling me
in Cleveland Street there are some billboards and no-one is allowed to build on the land behind them because several people were killed there by a bomb and for some reason the bodies were never recovered
Can anyone confirm or say otherwise please

Last edited by derekdwc; 7th Nov 2010 1:44pm.
Awesome
Wiki Master
Awesome
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by PaulTaters
Thanks finding that for the map, Snooze. Yes, that's right where the junction is now. I saved a copy of the zoomed in version.

It's great to see this, from before when the M53 construction even started. I see the aforementioned "roundabout to nowhere" is on there and also of course the original alignment of Landican Lane.

Other things of interest include Prenton Bridge, the "laundry", the clay pit and the non-existence of many roads in the Durley Drive area. Cheers!

Hi - old-maps website has got a lot more user friendly these days - they used to make it really difficult to get a good close-up of things without you paying first wink

Smartchild
Smartchild
Originally Posted by PaulTaters
For some reason I've always wanted to know what Woodchurch Road looked like before the Woodchurch interchange with the M53 motorway was built.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of any photos showing this area, before the M53 existed?

I've managed to track down one photo of the area before the interchange was built. It clearly shows the roundabout built in the 1930s that other posters have mentioned. I suspect the roundabout was actually built there because early outline plans for the Woodchurch Estate (which was conceived in the late 1920s) envisaged housing being built on both sides of Woodchurch Road - the roundabout was to link with the access roads onto the estate on either side of the road.

Attached Images
Woodchurch Road 1a.jpg (152.04 KB, 220 downloads)
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Excellent Marty, that roundabout looks flatter than i remember it, maybe some years later shrubs and bushes grew on it.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,606 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,937 Spotted!