Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 8,175 guests, and 438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
The end of the world is...on December 21, 2012?

No cause for alarm? Another Domesday date? Well, not quite. This time, a date which seems to line up with an interstellar black hole, a 3,600-year intergalactic cycle and just about all the worst prophecies in a number of different religions practised by advanced ancient civilizations. The year 2012 is not peculiar to the Mayans...

The Apocalypse has long fascinated Mankind, in His constant quest to find out where we came from and more importantly, where we are going to in future. The answer seems to be crystal clear. It appears that science, ancient civilizations and major religions all agree on one thing: December 21, 2012.

It does not seem to be a date picked out of a hat. The date coincides with the Mayan end-year, or the end of the Tzolkin (Tchólkin), the 5-thousand-year-old Mayan calendar which calibrates time in solar, lunar, Earth and galactic cycles, whose termination date is the Winter Solstice of 2012. And what happens on that date?

It is the date that the Sun enters in conjunction with the intersection of the Milky Way (north-south axis) and the ecliptic plane, which is the path that our Solar system follows in the cosmos. The Maya called this intersection the Sacred Tree, which runs in 25,800-year cycles. On December 21 2012, the Sun enters the centre of the Sacred Tree, as foretold in the Mayan creation story, the Hero Twins.

The location of the Winter Solstice Sunrise (December 21, 2012) takes into account the Earth's tilt, observed over thousands of years by the Mayans who predicted that 2012 would be the Great Cycle Year, the year when the present age ends and a new age begins, the end of the 26,000 year Long Cycle.

Now science moves in. Many astronomers believe that the center of our galaxy is constituted by an enormous black hole stretching one million miles across. It is designated a supermassive black hole and is situated in the region called Sagittarius A. As the Earth and Sun draw nearer and nearer to this intergalactic warp in physics, it appears apparent that things are changing. New Solar particles are starting to raise the eyebrows of astrophysicists, Solar flares are alarming those who control telecommunications and the Earth itself seems to be lurching from natural catastrophe to natural catastrophe.

Enter the Ancient Sumerians, whose Planet Nibiru (also termed Planet X by some) ends its 3,600-year-cycle soon and will supposedly pass between the Earth and Mars. To be more precise, in 2012.

Is this Mayan end-date also referred to in the Qu'ran: "The day will come when this earth will be substituted with a new earth, and also the heavens, and everyone will be brought before GOD, the One, the Supreme." 14:48?

If we wanted to sell copy and frighten people, we could delve into the Internet and come up with a wonderfully Apocalyptic theory linking astro-physics and practically every major religion with snippets about end-dates, then tie them together in a piece with the same credibility as using "someone told the baker so" as a source. But just as this journalist refuses to trash private lives with personal and private information, this article also refuses to jump on the bandwagon with scare stories that unnecessarily upset people and who knows, drive some to suicide?

Sorry, but the Mayan prophecy was the end of one calendar but the beginning of another, with Mankind becoming cleansed in the process, not destroyed and in real life may have far more to do with peace in the Middle East than anything else, which in itself would be a beautiful prophecy.

As for science, the Earth is lined up in this way on December 21 every year and if the supermassive black hole has not caused any harm in the billions of years of the history of the Universe, why should it start now? As for the Sumerians, there is no evidence whatsoever that Nibiru is anything more than a parable and finally, the Qu'ran:

People can take isolated phrases out of any holy book and turn them into anything they wish. Including copy to sell newspapers or hits on the Internet. Having said which, I guess my piece did what it was supposed to.

Sleep tight. See you on December 22, 2012.

Timothy Bancroft-Hinchey

Pravda.Ru

http://english.pravda.ru/opinion/columnists/28-10-2010/115564-december_maya-0/

Reason one: Mayan calendar

The first to predict 2012 as the end of the world were the Mayans, a bloodthirsty race that were good at two things -- building highly accurate astrological equipment out of stone and sacrificing virgins.

Thousands of years ago they managed to calculate the length of the lunar moon as 329.53020 days, only 34 seconds out. The Mayan calendar predicts that the earth will end on December 21, 2012. Given that they were pretty close to the mark with the lunar cycle, it’s likely they’ve got the end of the world right as well.

Reason two: Sun storms

Solar experts from around the world monitoring the sun have made a startling discovery. Our sun is in a bit of strife. The energy output of the sun is, like most things in nature, cyclic and it’s supposed to be in the middle of a period of relative stability. However, recent solar storms have been bombarding the earth with lot of radiation energy. It’s been knocking out power grids and destroying satellites. This activity is predicted to get worse and calculations suggest it’ll reach its deadly peak sometime in 2012.

Reason three: The atom smasher

Scientists in Europe have been building the world’s largest particle accelerator. Basically, its a 27 km tunnel designed to smash atoms together to find out what makes the universe tick. However, the mega-gadget has caused serious concern, with some scientists suggesting that it’s properly even a bad idea to turn it on in the first place. They’re predicting all manner of deadly results, including mini black holes. So when this machine is fired up for its first serious experiment in 2012, the world could be crushed into a super-dense blob the size of a basketball.

Reason four: The Bible says it

If having scientists warning us about the end of the world isn’t bad enough, religious folks are getting in on the act as well. Interpretations of the Christian Bible reveal that the date for Armageddon, the final battle between good an evil, has been set for 2012. The I Ching, also known as the Chinese Book of Changes, says the same thing, as do various sections of the Hindu teachings.

Reason five: Super volcano

Yellowstone National Park in United States is famous for its thermal springs and old faithful geyser. The reason for this is simple -- it’s sitting on top of the world’s biggest volcano and geological experts are beginning to get nervous sweats. The Yellowstone volcano has a pattern of erupting every 650,000 years or so, and we’re many years overdue for an explosion that will fill the atmosphere with ash, blocking the sun and plunging the earth into a frozen winter that could last up to 15,000 years. The pressure under the Yellowstone is building steadily, and geologists have set 2012 as a likely date for the big bang.

Reason six: The physicists

This one’s case of bog -- simple maths mathematics. Physicists at Berkely University have been crunching the numbers. They’ve determined that the earth is well overdue for a major catastrophic event. Even worse, they’re claiming that their calculations prove that we’re all going to die, very soon. They are also saying that their prediction comes with a certainty of 99 per cent; and 2012 just happens to be the best guess as to when it occurs.

Reason seven: Earth’s magnetic field

We all know the Earth is surrounded by a magnetic field that shields us from most of the sun’s radiation. What you might not know is that the magnetic poles we call North and South have a nasty habit of swapping places every 750,000 years or so -- and right now we’re about 30,000 years overdue. Scientists have noted that the poles are drifting apart roughly 20-30 kms each year, much faster than ever before, which points to a pole-shift being right around the corner. While the pole shift is under way, the magnetic field is disrupted and will eventually disappear, sometimes for up to 100 years. The result is enough UV outdoors to crisp your skin in seconds, killing everything it touches.

Google Ads
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
just read the book very scary stuff shocked

[Linked Image] Please do not adjust your mind, there is a slight problem with reality
P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
If the above is true, one could get up to severe naughtiness on the 20th - no comebacks !!!

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
If the above is true, one could get up to severe naughtiness on the 20th - no comebacks !!!

Every day is the 20th for me Pinz raftl

If that is going to be the end of the world then I'd best have my birthday party 10days early. Would be better if they could put it off so I can have my birthday actually on my birthday think

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Wench
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

Every day is the 20th for me Pinz raftl

If that is going to be the end of the world then I'd best have my birthday party 10days early. Would be better if they could put it off so I can have my birthday actually on my birthday think
lol!

[Linked Image] Please do not adjust your mind, there is a slight problem with reality
Awesome
Wiki Master
Awesome
Wiki Master
Best order that sofa from DFS a couple of weeks before then? think

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
I knew via a blog a couple of people working on the Hadron collider,they loved all this rubbish about black holes etc,the problems they appear to have had is bird-sh*t in the external electrical gear giving them power problems,theyv'e already done some tests,were still here.
I was wondering when we were due for an end of the world story as we have been overdue one for 6 months or more.

Last edited by davew3; 29th Oct 2010 11:56pm.
Forum Master
Forum Master
We heared about this last year when in Chichen Itza, Mexico. Its an ancient mayan city, huge place. Gonna get very buisy on 21-12-12!!!!
Its the end of their Lunar Calender, end of one era beginning of a new.The `end of the world` movie has already been done! lamethrower

IF IT HAS A HOSE THEN IM YOUR MAN

BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY!
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Does this mean I won't be able to connect to Xbox Live?... That will be a sad day frown

Smartchild
Smartchild
The world ends for someone, somewhere every second of every day!

Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
The Mayan calender didn't end in 2012. It's all bollocks. And these 'scientists' who are raising their eyebrows - who/where are these scientists?

"C20 LET bang"
Smartchild
Smartchild
Guess they're hiding in a bunker just in case.

Awesome
Wiki Master
Awesome
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by tigertiger1953
Guess they're hiding in a bunker just in case.
With lots of big bottles of Evian and Heinz baked beans...(beans in a bunker - that could be the end of their world)

Forum Master
Forum Master
It's always the end of the world on my birthday :'( i heard the mayans died out or something before they could continue writing out this calendar, and they just got up to that date, and people assume they did it purposely. We'll just have to wait and see! tease

Smartchild
Smartchild
It always amazes me that people want to believe that primitive races who didn't have mobile phones or ipods could predict the end of the world.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am