WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
8 members (3 invisible), 8,693 guests, and 424 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Newbeee
Newbeee
Ive never read so much drivel as is posted in this thread.

Very few things written above are true or even close to the truth.

Stephen, you get out what you put in, simple, because most of the above is b****cks.

Google Ads
Wiki Guide
OP Offline
Wiki Guide
U a taxi driver then?

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by MrB2U
Ive never read so much drivel as is posted in this thread.

Very few things written above are true or even close to the truth.

Stephen, you get out what you put in, simple, because most of the above is b****cks.
Go on then, you have a go at explaining the truth, instead of vague accusations! I would also be interested to know if you are an employer or an employee (or both)!

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Newbeee
Newbeee
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
[ Go on then, you have a go at explaining the truth, instead of vague accusations! I would also be interested to know if you are an employer or an employee (or both)!

Vague accusations??? I have no idea what you mean.

An employer i am not, i have been in the past though. What do you mean an "employee"? You mean an operator i presume, as most drivers are self-employed so not employees but contractors.

Explain what you mean and i may be able to answer more proficiently.

Newbeee
Newbeee
Originally Posted by stephen1972
U a taxi driver then?

Started operating at 15, went on the road at 20, before badges were needed. Been on the road and operating ever since. Im 41 now. Ive co-owned a couple of firms, and helped start from scratch 2, one still running very well, the other was merged a few years ago.
So all in 26 years from all sides of the job, i'd say ive got a few valid opinions.

And yes i actually know a couple of posters on here, though they dont know who i am smile

(Hello V).... smile

Last edited by MrB2U; 7th Aug 2010 11:43pm.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Do you remember Murphy & Shakeshaft and Bill B?

Forgotten their full names but I used to hang around with all three at one time.

Why I asked about being and employer was that the perspective from Taxi Operators and Taxi Drivers does seem to be a bit different. On the other hand, the drivers have always moaned so its difficult to tell if its worse or not wink

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I never knew a driver who didn't moan about doing it (maybe one) my brother in law did it for years and finaly got out. He did it cos he couldnt find anything else to do.

See you in cyberspace!
Newbeee
Newbeee
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Do you remember Murphy & Shakeshaft and Bill B?

Forgotten their full names but I used to hang around with all three at one time.

Why I asked about being and employer was that the perspective from Taxi Operators and Taxi Drivers does seem to be a bit different. On the other hand, the drivers have always moaned so its difficult to tell if its worse or not wink

Murphy from Rock ferry? Cant place the other names to be honest.

Taxi operators do have different perspectives from drivers, no doubt about that.

Drivers always moan, very few dont, im guilty of that too. But to be honest ive always put it down to the way they do the job. Ive got family who are drivers and i told them from the start to work a simple system of how to pay themselves, dont fall into the trap of living to a standard where you have to chase the money. But they dont listen, so they slot into the trap of NEEDING to earn xxx amount because they have raised their lifestyle to fit it, as opposed to living to a set means. Most drivers are the same to be honest. Theres a couple of guys now running Audis as cabs, nice motors, but not the cheapest to run. So to make a wage they have to earn a little bit more than someone with a Mondeo. Means a few more hours here and there, so if they dont make what they need, they moan.

The thing is its not a job per se, its a lifestyle. You have to accept compromises. Going out on a Saturday night with your missus or mates means not only what you will spend, but knowing you've lost £250 in wages for that night too. Its hard to enjoy a rink when you know what its cost you smile

I love the job to be honest, so much so its not my main job anymore but i cant give it up. Ive tried many times, but i only last a couple of months. I miss the people, the things you see, the nutters, the funny things that happen. The money almost becomes secondary to the job.

Sad i know.

Newbeee
Newbeee
Originally Posted by Capt_America
I never knew a driver who didn't moan about doing it (maybe one) my brother in law did it for years and finaly got out. He did it cos he couldnt find anything else to do.

Yup most lads moan.

I got into it just for some Xmas money...........26 years ago lol.
Its the worst job in the world if you try and use it as a stop gap. Going from pleasing yourself when you work, what hours you do, within reason dictating your own wages etc etc to a structured 9-5 type job answering to others is hard, very hard. I know plenty of drivers who are conditioned to the job now, they couldnt hack a 9-5 if they were paid 50k a year smile

I know one lad i used to work with called Paul Round, his missus wanted him to pack it in and work a 9-5 etc etc, so give him his due, after doing the job on nights for a few years he packed in. But for the next 2 years he still drove round the town centre on a Saturday night at club kicking out time as he couldnt get used to not being down there on a Saturday night. He would actually get out of bed at 1am, with his missus, and just spend an hour driving round nosing at the madness you see.

It gets you like that smile

Last edited by MrB2U; 8th Aug 2010 9:26am.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Thanks for that B2U, I enjoyed reading that thumbsup

Murphy was "Murphy's Taxis" quite a fleet of private hire cars, all the same model.

Dave Shakeshaft was Murphy's sidekick, a loveable rogue type character, but him had Murphy had a big blow up, something like Dave was either moonlighting or even started up his own company while still working for Murphy. Dave and his missus used to be landlords at the Rock Villa, I think they split up and last I saw of her she was Manageress of the restaurant at the Glegg Arms. I'm not sure if they had something to do with the Kings in Bebington at some point as well.

Bill B, I thing he owned Argyle Taxis then semi-retired by doing the disabled school runs with a 8 or 12 seater. He also had a "speakeasy" in his basement which eventually he applied for a licence and got turned down. He also got into flying micro-lites and could be seen in the skies quite often.

Newbeee
Newbeee
I remember Murphy well. His cars were all bright orange Morris Itals.
I vaguely remember Dave, but to be honest my area of work has generally been up towards Upton, Greasby, Moreton and this side of the Wirral.

Newbeee
Newbeee
Originally Posted by Neil_c
There's a lot to consider and you need to think about what you'll really make. Considering:

1) the rank you work for - all taxi firms will advertise for drivers all of the time, but you might not get much work, particulary in the week. Davy Liver / freephone is the busiest.

No they're not, no-one does particularly better than anyone else, its how you get the work and the type of work that suits, some do more bigger jobs but less of them, some do more credit work etc etc. Freephone/Satellite is deffo no more busy than other firms, fact.

2) Wirral usually insist that your car is younger than 8 years old.

Again not exactly true. On first plate has to be less than 6 years old. After 6 till 8 its on 6 monthly plate instead of 12, after 8 years old its town hall discretion according to condition.

3) You'll need to get it taxi MOT'd. Walsh's was the only bay that did it.

Wrong again. The concession for taxi testing was opened up a few months ago, there is now a few garages that do taxi tests.

4) Need to pay the radio/sat fee to the rank

Correct, and you pay regardless of earnings.

5) It will put many miles on your car

True, but nothing excessive on average, but the cars a tool for the job, a fact you have to remember.

6) Need to pay for taxi insurance

Correct.

7) There are many taxi drivers all looking for work

Not sure what you mean. There isnt a single driver out of work on The Wirral, because firms dont generally have a capped limit, any firm will level itself according to its work. If you dont earn what you know you can, you move firms, simples.

8) The cost of fuel

Er, which is paid for by the customer. Thats how taxi driving works.

9) You're more likely to get points on your license and need to pay fines.

Bollocks. Ive got no points, and never been fined for fook all. Why do i get points and get fined because im a taxi driver exactly.

10) You are likely to have allsorts of idiots in your car

You obviously speak from experience, but not as a driver. In 26 years ive blown an emergency 13 ONCE. You do have to be street wise and a bit savvy at times, but on the whole most people are ok with you if your ok with them.

11) Need taxi insurance.

Yup, correct. Mine was £980 last year fully comp with full liability and breakdown cover. I havent had this years quote.

I would really weigh all this up and think about what you're going to do if it doesn't work out.

Last edited by MrB2U; 8th Aug 2010 9:37pm.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am