WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,899 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tilly Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
....himself on train tracks

A GARDENER mourning the loss of his pet dog took his own life by laying in front of a train, an inquest heard.
Alan Webb, 65, had his German Shepherd named Sheba, for more than 12 years and was devastated when she passed away in May last year.
Mr Webb’s son, Ian, told the Advertiser: “We just can’t believe what’s happened.”
His wife Andrea added: “He had so many friends but he was so sad after Sheba died.”
Mr Webb lived at retirement accommodation in Town Green, Aughton for just over six years and was well known in the community.
Glenys Clapcott, scheme manager, told the coroner: “Alan was a very private person, his house was immaculate and he had a special relationship with his dog.
“She went everywhere with him – she was human. He would take her to work with him. When she died he was devastated, he carried that dog home – put her in his van and buried her in the garden behind his flat.”

Glenys said she spoke to Alan a few months later and he told her he still hadn’t got over Sheba.
Mr Webb was also in regular contact with PCSO Gillian Reed. She told the inquest: “He would often come to visit me at the station which is on the railway track.
“He was very helpful, I saw him most days. Sheba and Alan were absolute best friends. He was never without her.
“He would get her to speak to me and she would fetch his paper and slippers, she was very well trained.
“He was absolutely devastated and really upset when she died. He was thinking about getting another dog but he told me he couldn’t replace Sheba.

“One day, he called into the police station just to have a general chat and had said he was feeling particularly low. He said ‘I feel like ending it’ on the railway.
“If I thought for one minute there was something in it – I didn’t realise he was that depressed, he said it like it was a joke.”

The coroner also heard evidence from Alan Wissett, a Merseyrail train driver, who was too upset to appear in court.
In a statement he said he had left Ormskirk train station at 6.20am on February 16, stopping at Aughton Park before pulling off towards Liverpool.
Mr Wissett said he was travelling at 60mph and was about three quarters of the way from Town Green when he spotted a body faced down over the left hand track wearing a cloth cap, but there was no movement and there was no one else around.

Mr Wissett said he applied the emergency brake but had no time to sound the horn.
Mr Webb was identified by a note in his pocket with his name and address and next of kin’s contact details.
Deputy coroner Simon Jones concluded that there was no evidence of alcohol or drugs in his body at the time of his death and that Mr Webb had taken his own life.

that is the saddest thing to read frown

http://www.osadvertiser.co.uk/news/...imself-on-train-tracks-80904-26757972/2/

Google Ads
Old Hand
Old Hand
So sad Tilly, if only he had gone and rescued a dog, no matter how hard it must of felt and the feelings of betrayal (which we all have when its time to replace a pet that we have sadly lost)im sure he would still be alive now. R.i.p Alan

Tilly Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
that's what I thought too Kevin. He had so much love to give a rescue dog, poor man he must of been really devastated to do something like that.

This really does highlight the bond and loyalty the are renowned for. Whatever you put in, the dog will give ten fold back, that’s why letting go at the end is so heartbreaking.

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Wow that's bad. I know what it's like tho. Dogs are amazing pets. Not only will they guard you but will be loyal and never judge you. Rip old timer and pooch .

Old Hand
Old Hand
Soooo true, if only humans could give them unconditional love back and not look at them as just being heartless Creatures without feelings, it makes my blood boil!! have you seen this story from a dog to its owner (if dogs could speak of course)its called

"How could you?"

When I was a puppy I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housetraining took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not meant for her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

The End

Tilly Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
yes, I have seen it Kevin, I have it saved on my comp, every time I read it it makes me so angry and very very sad frown

Old Hand
Old Hand
Same here Tilly love, but aswell as make me angry it also makes me dig even deeper and find even more love for Dogs, not that i can love them anymore than i already do but you know what i mean. smile xx

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Its the train driver i feel sorry for, it will takes years for him to get over this, that's if he ever does. I suppose its wishful thinking to expect anyone who wants to commit suicide to think of other people.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
Tilly Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by bert1
Its the train driver i feel sorry for, it will takes years for him to get over this, that's if he ever does. I suppose its wishful thinking to expect anyone who wants to commit suicide to think of other people.

Your right Bert,
committing suicide is a very selfish cowardly way out, for the family left behind to deal with it and the people that they involve when committing the act it must be torment.
however to do what this man did for the love of his dog obviously pulled at my heart strings and I feel very sad for him. It's over for him now, but not for his family or the train driver, they are the people I feel for now. frown

Last edited by Tilly; 3rd Jul 2010 1:13pm.
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Kevin - I've never seen that letter before and I have to say it's made me cry. Having taken 2 family dogs to the vet because they were in far too much pain and far too ill, it brought back some horrible memories. We were rather selfish and left it to the last minute, even though we and the vet knew we had no other options. Both dogs looked at me before they went as if to say "thank you" but it didn't make it any easier.

To have to go through that with a dog that is not ill or in pain would be unbearable frown I couldn't do it.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Tilly Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by Wench
Kevin - I've never seen that letter before and I have to say it's made me cry. Having taken 2 family dogs to the vet because they were in far too much pain and far too ill, it brought back some horrible memories. We were rather selfish and left it to the last minute, even though we and the vet knew we had no other options. Both dogs looked at me before they went as if to say "thank you" but it didn't make it any easier.

To have to go through that with a dog that is not ill or in pain would be unbearable frown I couldn't do it.

I know exactly how you feel too. frown
and yet there are people that will take their healty dogs to a vet to be put to sleep for really very stupid reasons,
here is just one of many I know of...

Zeus-14mths old & put to sleep by his owner because he had changed in the last few weeks and chewed the remote control and other things around the house. [Linked Image]

this poor lad was in his 'teenage years never given the chance to grow up. Some people should never own a dog frown

Last edited by Tilly; 3rd Jul 2010 3:22pm.
Forum Master
Forum Master
that is so sad,I had to have my dog put to sleep a year ago tomorrow.it took time to get used to her not being there, especially when I came back from taking the kids to school, that was our time to go to the park.I went to the shops and helped out at school.A year on its got easier I wont forget her and maybe in the future we may get another dog,

no1s gonna keep me from u
Tilly Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
I never thought I would get over losing my first German Shepherd
'Scouse' he literally saved my life, I would of been killed by a car that hit a wall in front of me if he hadn't pulled me out of the way seconds b4, and to have to take him to the vet to end his life was soul destroying frown he had kidney disease and was only 6 years old.it was a long time ago but if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be here now.
Scouse
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tilly; 3rd Jul 2010 3:42pm.
Tilly Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by starakita
that is so sad,I had to have my dog put to sleep a year ago tomorrow.it took time to get used to her not being there, especially when I came back from taking the kids to school, that was our time to go to the park.I went to the shops and helped out at school.A year on its got easier I wont forget her and maybe in the future we may get another dog,

you should. smile you cant replace her but it makes it easier.

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
I won't get another one after Tarot goes - I won't put myself through the pain again. I could definitely never replace her as she's a one off.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am