Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (ArranGirl13, 2 invisible), 8,084 guests, and 428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Nienna Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Does any one have any pics or have any memories of Dee Street, Wye Street, Peel street, St Pauls road , Livingstone Street or the surrounding areas in Rock ferry?

I grew up living in Dee Street in the 60/70s

It was a wonderful time and a great community. Would love to hear of any other folk who lived there.

Google Ads
Addict
Addict
my gran and granddad lived in Livingstone Road and the back gate was in Dee St I remember the green grocers at the corner of Dee St .Chip shop next door in St Pauls Road, the men gambling using two pennies to bet on heads or tails outside the pub when it closed on Meadow lane.Two sweet shops in St Pauls Rd one by the bridge and one at the top of St Pauls Rd.Off licence bottom of Livingstone Rd.The houses being demolished in St Pauls Rd. opposite Dee St.

Addict
Addict
i used to live in stanley st at the back of the sally army and hang around in cobden street.used to get my sweets from a shop called blue ribbon great times.but cant remember that much as i was a nipper then playing with my old 3 wheeler bike used to go to the bottom shop by the bridge loads of jiggers to play in in them days cant remember the other streets names.

Smartchild
Smartchild
We used to live on Dee Street,but like Scary I was just a nipper too so can't remember much.I do remember we lived next door to a woman called Margie and her fella and they used to fight like cat and dog.I went into her house one day with my mum and there was ceramic teapots smashed all over the floor.
I think I remember that street had a major problem with ants though?

Nienna Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by alan128
my gran and granddad lived in Livingstone Road and the back gate was in Dee St I remember the green grocers at the corner of Dee St .Chip shop next door in St Pauls Road, the men gambling using two pennies to bet on heads or tails outside the pub when it closed on Meadow lane.Two sweet shops in St Pauls Rd one by the bridge and one at the top of St Pauls Rd.Off licence bottom of Livingstone Rd.The houses being demolished in St Pauls Rd. opposite Dee St.

I remember all of the above!

Did you grandparents live next door to the Robinsons by any chance they were my great aunt and uncle!
If your grandparents gate backed on to Dee Street we probably played ball games up it and got told off! I think there was only about 5/6 gates backing on to the road etc.
I remember the green grocers on the corner..they used to use those old brass weighing scales.
I remember the chippy too.. used to serve everything in news paper!
They all became derelict and we used to play in what was left..calling them the bombed out buildings etc

I also remember the two sweet shops and there was a pawn broker by the bridge. The sweetshop at the top of St Pauls road was owned by a Mr Lord. We adopted his dog ..a german shepherd cross called Sooty!
We used to get her bones for free from the butchers at the very top of St Pauls Road almost opposite old Lord's sweetshop! I remember as a child being scared by the stuffed bulls head they had on the wall. There was sawdust on the floor and huge sides of beef hanging on a rail. I used to get told off for pushing these hanging half cows into one another and making them swing!

I remember walking past the off liscence in Livingston road and the wonderful smell of beer that came from it.

At the very bottom of that road..where Peel street ran along it there was a tardis...an old blue police box!

My aunts lived in Meadow lane. Another lived in Star Street snd also another in Planet Street.(we were quite a big family) They knocked those roads down and built Jackson House which was an old folks home.
I went to the mission house sunday school which was in St Pauls road.. and now is the only thing left from those days apart from the pub..is it the Admiral.... memory not what it was!

It was a well loved area and folk were proud of what they had. Windows were always washed ..front steps always swept and brass on doors gleamed.. the women were a force to be reckoned with!! No nonsense hard working types!

We moved away in 1974 when the houses were due to be demolished.. but I came back in 1981 just to get married in St Pauls church where I was baptised and also went to sunday school.

I now live in a very leafy area but still miss the cameraderie of my childhood home. Everybody always looked out for eveyone else!

I still love the area even though now it is so very much changed!

Happy happy days!

Would love to hear other people's memories.

Nienna Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by ChrisNewcastle
We used to live on Dee Street,but like Scary I was just a nipper too so can't remember much.I do remember we lived next door to a woman called Margie and her fella and they used to fight like cat and dog.I went into her house one day with my mum and there was ceramic teapots smashed all over the floor.
I think I remember that street had a major problem with ants though?

I dont remember that couple at all.

Whihc number did you live in Chris and what were the years?

I dont remember too many ant problems . I know some houses had a cockeroach infestation at one point and had to be fumigated..it was great excitement when the men from the council came for the day to do several houses. But after that no house that I know of had any further problems.

I lived there from 1960 to 1974.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
The pub higher up from St Pauls Mission is the Napier. The paper shop next to the railway bridge in St Pauls road is where I got my First box of fireworks after the war was over, it was in the November 1946. As a youngster I went to Sunday school at St Pauls Mission {the 1940s}

Ships that pass in the night, seldom seen and soon forgoten
Smartchild
Smartchild
I don't remember what number sorry I was about 3 or 4 years old I think (that's why I can't remember much about it) we wasn't there very long though. I was born in 78 so maybe '80 or '81 but I will check with my mum when I speak to her and get back to you.She might even remember the couple's surname I'm on about.
Sorry I can't be more help. x

Addict
Addict
i also remember a grosery shop by the monkey steps my mum carted me up the road along with a lot of other familys to sit in the road to protest against all the traffic and we all wanted a lolypop crossing by the shop because a couple of children got killed crossing the road anyway the crossing was placed there and still is as far as i no today i think the shop owners where called ted and murial williams but not quite sure as i was a little nipper but still remember the brassband nearly every week playing in the streets greeeat times

Smartchild
Smartchild
When I was a kid I was scared stiff of the salvation army brass band that used to stop outside my nan's house. I don't know why though I ust found them creepy as hell!

Addict
Addict
yer something scary about them rattiling there cash container for the needy but in them days we was all skint but always a good pan of stew on the cooker lol

Addict
Addict
Your reply brought back many memories of the area. I used to play football and cricket outside my nans back gate in Dee St.I was always getting told off by someone or other.Remember a family called Chadwicks lived on the left hand side looking towards Livingstone Rd had a son called Raymond.
Collisium picture house every Saturday or the Regal and Regent top of Well Lane one of them now a Tesco
My Aunt had a grocers shop on the corner of Allison St and Livingstone Road Remember going in with Ration Book for food.It shut in the 1950s but she still lived there till she died as house was attached to it.
Co-op Dairy in Etna St.
Getting football Echo every Saturday at 6pm from seller at the top Of St Pauls Rd.
I have a photo of a street party in Livingstone Road 1953.

Nienna Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
I would love to see that photo!!

I remember the Chadwicks.. they lived almost opposite to us!

I remember the co op Dairy too..we used to get orange juice in glass bottles from there.

Do you remember the blue bird cafe..which was a sweet shop on old/new chester road.

I remember the sally army comming around reglar with the band playing hymms.

Any one else from around this area?

Addict
Addict
Do not remember the name Robinson .next door to my gran on one side was a family called McDonnalds.I thought i had a copy of electoral Role about 1955 for Livingstone Road but have not found it yet.Found one for Allison St for the same period it does bring back the names of people you forgot.

Was the blue bird Cafe next to the picture house?

Another thought everybody gathering at the top of St Pauls Road to see in New Year.All the photos taken by the man who owned the sweet shop and a couple of days later they were all in his window for you to buy copies.
Your memories of the butchers brought things back
i remember a chip shop at the bottom of Livingstone Road in Peel St. but i think it had strange opening times.
I lived at the top of Victoria Park and used to walk along Peel St to get to Lairds when i was an apprentice. I think every one served there time at the shipyard or Levers.

Smartchild
Smartchild
Sorry Nienna I was wrong.I spoke to my mum and she informed me it was not Dee street we lived in...it was Deacon street but apparantly I could not pronounce it when I was a nipper.I was 4 when we left there (deacon street)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am