History of the Mansion
'Highfield House' was first built about 1850 by Thomas Peers, a Cotton Broker, as a private residence. It was eventually purchased by the Corporation in 1919 from the Reece family whose house it had finally become and in order to cater for new arrivals in the town 'Highfield' was converted into Wallasey's first Maternity Hospital and opened in 1921.
In its term as a private residence it was the home of several families at various times. Its first owner, Thomas Peers, died on the middle 1850's, and by 1860 the house was occupied by a Mr Charles Shaw, who once took the whole of the scholars from the national School in Liscard Road to Eastham for the day, the first treat that anybody in the parish could recall. he was followed by the Twiname family, and later by another Cotton Broker, William Peers on this occasion. Thomas Gorman, a Wholesale Provision Merchant, who is commemorated by a large cross in front of St. Albans Church, purchased the property in 1876, and sold it in 1889 to Captain Alexander McGachen, a Master Mariner, who spent six years there before disposing of the estate to Mr Samuel reece, of dairy fame. It was on the death of Mr Reece's widow that the house and grounds were acquired by the Corporation. The house was damaged beyond repair in the last war air-raids, and was subsequently demolished.