From my grandmother, Grace
1. How old were you when you were evacuated ?
6 or 7. We had to go, not a lot of time to think about it.
2. Where about were you evacuated to ?
Abersoch, Sarn Bach
3. What type of memories did you have , please explain ?
Sleeping in shed when lady took in a lodger.
No sweets, no pop, no bread, no butter
Half a day at school – the Welsh went in half day then we went in.
A lot of walking - always so tired because of all the walking.
Go to beaches a lot – seagulls eggs laid in sand it was so quiet that they could do this without being disturbed.
You could see all the stars at night because it was so dark, no street lights back then.
4. Did you get evacuated with siblings ? If yes, who ?
Yes with brother but we got separated – he went to a very posh lady and I went to a farmer. She wanted to keep him as she had no children of her own. My little sister was still a Baby
so stayed at home with my mum.
5. Explain how you felt by being evacuated ?
Excited – we didn’t really know what was happening but we’d never been on the train before so we were all really excited.
6. How far did you have to travel ?
Don’t remember, far away but when we got there they were all speaking a funny language. They were mostly very kind but we were all terrified.
7. Did you enjoy your time whilst being evacuated ? Please describe.
Excited about getting on train at Port Sunlight, they gave us horlicks tablets which made us feel sick but they were like sweets so we ate them anyway and we had our gas masks, carrying them by a piece of string in a box. Loads of children on the platform, mums with their hats on and holding their handbags.
On the train we were singing “It’s a long way to Tipperary”
8. How long were you evacuated for ?
Not long, think my mum missed us.
Mum brought me back ‘if we’re going to die we’ll all die together’ in time for May Blitz – I came home too early really
9. Did you travel back home at any time ? If yes, why ?
10. How did it feel when you were told you could go home ? Please describe this feeling .
Don’t remember but the kids said I spoke funny when I came back. My brother stayed a bit longer and my mum was ok with that because she knew he was safe.
I hope this helps