Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 8,175 guests, and 438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
Everton FC ready for talks on shared stadium but Liverpool FC set to go it alone

EVERTON FC chief executive today declared: We are prepared to consider sharing with Liverpool. The suggestion came after Communities Secretary John Denham rejected the club’s plans to move to Kirkby and build a 50,000-seater stadium alongside Tesco in a £400m development.

Robert Elstone said: “It’s certainly one of the options that we will need to cover.

“A shared stadium is perhaps an option if it’s affordable.

“We have to look at where we can raise money, because potentially Liverpool will have to obviously contribute to that, and Liverpool City Council perhaps might need to find some money.

“If we are the first major English club to look at sharing then we’re not scared of making those decisions.

“So we’re going to have to start to have those conversations, we’re going to have to be open-minded about solutions.”

The Everton chief executive also appeared to take a swipe at former partners Knowsley Council and Tesco over the failure to secure final planning approval for Kirkby.

He said: “Our immediate reaction is one of disappointment and surprise. I think surprise because, particularly, our partners were extremely confident of success. That confidence has proved a little bit optimistic and perhaps unfounded.

“The motivations were about driving Everton forward and ultimately giving David Moyes a fairer crack of the whip in the transfer market. That challenge hasn't gone away and it's a challenge now that we're going to have to pick up and run with and perhaps find another solution.”

On the face of it a ground-share would seem an attractive option with Liverpool having put their plans for a £400m stadium on Stanley Park on hold during the current global financial crisis.

But LFC owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett are opposed as they believe it would impact on the amount of cash from a solely owned stadium.

Liverpool’s deputy executive director Peter Shaw said: “It’s not on our agenda at the moment. Liverpool are progressing forward with our own stadium. That is the position we are still in.

“The LFC stadium is quite far progressed and once the financial markets reopen for business the LFC stadium will progress further.”

When asked whether the idea of a ground-share with Everton could be a possibility, he said: “That’s not for me to answer.”

Financing any scheme is at the heart of the problem for both clubs, and Mr Elstone stressed that finding money was the key issue.

“The solution is not about finding land – this is a solution that is about finding money; it’s about affordability,” he said.

“That was the big attraction to Kirkby, that it was affordable.

“Then it’s about reviewing alternatives and sitting down with partners, all the stakeholders in this region and anybody who can help Everton deliver what it needs – which is a world-class stadium that’s going to secure our future for years to come.
Liverpool Council leader Warren Bradley said he wanted to work with Everton on whatever plans they came up with.

“I think it is up to the club to come to us, we will work with Everton to help them achieve what they want,” he said.

“I was the one who first floated it [shared stadium]. But I think we have come to a crossroads. I am not in a position to start dictating to two commercial businesses what to do.

“Robert Elstone has said that he would not rule anything in or out. But I am not going to dictate.

“I would say to Everton as soon as we can let’s talk in a constructive manner about what Everton want to achieve with the help of the council to help them secure funding.

“My favoured option has always been the redevelopment of Goodison.”

He said the possible need to relocate the nearby Gwladys Street Primary school, homes in Muriel Street and Diana Street, and Walton Motors to allow for the redevelopment of Goodison was “not a massive hurdle”.

“I really do believe that we can work with Robert Elstone to bring forward something that can work in the future.”

Opposition Labour leader Joe Anderson said the setback for Everton was an opportunity for both clubs to go back to the drawing board.

“As far as I am concerned this is now a real opportunity for the city council to talk to both Liverpool FC and Everton FC.

“We need to get some meaningful, open, and honest dialogue with both clubs to understand their financial situations.

“And we have got to talk to Everton about what they can offer and what they can do. We need to know exactly what their financial situation is so the council can look at helping.”

NWDA chief executive Steve Broomhead has long been a joint stadium advocate.

He said: “We have always thought it was an option that needed to be tested.

“Our position is that it is a legitimate option that remains in place, as ever it is the clubs that will have to decide what they want to do.”

THE ECHO

Google Ads
P
PaulWirral
Unregistered
PaulWirral
Unregistered
P
If we have to share then Everton can have the ground on Tuesday nights as thats when all reserve matches are played!!

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
When Liverpool go bankrupt, Everton will end up having the ground to themselves.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
If we have to share then Everton can have the ground on Tuesday nights as thats when all reserve matches are played!!

I think it would be a better idea to let Liverpool have the ground up until October and let Everton have it for the rest of the year.

October appears to be where the season ended this year for Liverpool raftl

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
I have to say I'm glad Kirkby was turned down. As for sharing a ground with Liverpool - no thanks!! I've been going to Goodison since the early 80's and have no desire to see my beloved Blues anywhere but Goodison.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Yeh i wouldnt wanna share my stadium with the 'skanky blues' wink

love you

[Linked Image]
Nikki Abbo! wink Life isnt a practise,you have to get it right first time! smile
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
You have been for a long time Chicken - it was our ground raftl

love you too wink

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
P
PaulWirral
Unregistered
PaulWirral
Unregistered
P
Ever wondered what Evertons sponsor really stands for?

CHANG = Can't Have A New Ground.

muahahahahahaha!!

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am