Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,899 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
Bodies of three newborn babies found in St Helens house

THE remains of three newborn babies were found by police in a Merseyside house.
[Linked Image]
A tip-off in the early hours of last Sunday took officers to the address in Harlow Close, St Helens, where they made the grisly discovery.

It is thought the three children could have been born as long ago as the mid-1980s but died very soon after their birth.

Acting on the information they had been given, officers went into the Sutton Heath house and quickly found the remains.

Detectives today said they could not go public with where in the house the tiny remains were found or what, if anything, they were found in or with.

Three people have been questioned by police.

Neighbours say the house which was raided was occupied by a woman and her son, believed to be in his 20s.

Lyn Murphy and her partner Jason Hughes live next door to the property.

The couple say they were awoken by the sound of police banging on the door of the house.

Ms Murphy, 44, said: “When I asked them what was happening, they said they couldn’t say anything.

“I became alarmed when one copper went into the house and then rushed out again and began throwing up in the garden.

“He was leaning against the fence and it was proper vomiting.

“A copper said after what that policeman had seen, he’d be off work for two to three weeks.

“Later, I saw the undertakers bringing in three little boxes into the house, which looked like children’s coffins.

“When they came out, they had only two boxes which were stacked on top of each other, and were inside another cardboard box.

“As soon as we saw the coffins, we went inside the house, drew the curtains and didn’t come out again as a sign of respect.”

Mr Hughes, 38, said: “When the police first entered the house, I heard a bit of arguing and raised voices.

“I saw the boxes being taken into the house with my own eyes. They were no more than a metre long - one was blue, one was grey and one was pink.

“One had a drawing of a teddy bear on it and another one had one of flowers.

“When the boxes were brought out again about half an hour later, there were only two of them and they were stacked on top of each other.
The grim find of 3 babies that has stunned a street
“There were also handfuls of forensic bags being taken out.

“When one of the coppers was asked what was going on, he said: ‘All I can say is be prepared for the worst.’

“There’s been a lot of rumours going on. The lad who lives in the house has always been very quiet. He’s into his computers and always makes sure his mum’s OK.

“He’s a forklift driver and keeps himself to himself.”

Police say the investigation is at a very early stage and detectives are keeping an open mind as to the circumstances.

An undertaker took the remains away and they are now being examined by forensic experts to determine the age and sex of the babies and any possible causes of death.

Crime scene investigators worked throughout Sunday and into Monday.

Det Supt Steve Naylor, leading the investigation, said: “Following a call to us, we attended at an address in St Helens where human remains were discovered.

“The remains are believed to be that of newborn babies and at this stage of the inquiry it is believed they are the remains of three babies.

“The investigation has only recently commenced and a number of lines of enquiry are being explored.

“We cannot speculate as to the cause or circumstances of the deaths and any inappropriate supposition is likely to have a severe impact on the investigation and the family concerned.

“This looks like being a complex investigation and a lot of hard work needs to be done before we can ascertain what the full circumstances are surrounding this situation.”

Neighbours say a second house, in nearby Freemantle Avenue, which is believed to be the home of the daughter of the woman who lives in Harlow Close, was also cordoned off by police as part of their investigation.

Jacqueline Morris, 42, said: “I was surprised, shocked by it all. People just want to know what’s happened.”

Mark Davies, 28, who lives near the house, said: “The police taped off the house so no-one could go near it.

“Forensic officers in their white suits were at the house all day, taking things like boxes in and out of the house

“A police van was stood outside for two days and two nights.

“We live round here, I’ve got two young kids, and we just want to know what’s happened, but the police keep telling us they’re not at liberty to say.”

Three people – two women aged 54 and 38 and a 26-year-old man – were questioned over the discovery before being released pending further inquiries.

THE ECHO

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I was shocked when i saw this on news before.
Obviously, im only speculating but i wonder whether it was a back street abortionist place??

Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
this is sad frown

Keep It Real !!
Wiki Guide
Keep It Real !!
Wiki Guide
Shocking frown

[Linked Image from ]

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Yes, i agree. Awfully sad. I cant get my head round it-apart from speculation.
May these tiny souls find peace-i just dont understand. RIP

_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
More remains found at graveside

THIS is the sombre graveside where a fourth set of human remains were found in a makeshift grave at the foot of a family headstone.
[Linked Image]
The investigation into the discovery of the remains of three newborn babies at a house in Harlow Close, St Helens, took a further twist yesterday when officers arrived at the town’s cemetery.

Detectives confirmed they recovered remains, believed to be human, from a shallow grave on a family plot.

The main grave belongs to relatives of Bernadette Quirk, the 54-year-old gran arrested after the grim discovery in Harlow Close.

Ms Quirk – believed to have been married twice – was arrested, along with her son Christopher, 26, and daughter Joanne Blackburn, 38, who also goes by the name Lee, after police went into her house on Sunday. They were questioned and bailed.

Yesterday, the centre of the investigation moved to the burial site of Ms Quirk’s family.

The new remains are thought to have been found buried next to an ornamental black cube commemorating Ms Quirk’s mother, Patricia Hurst, who died in 1995, aged 61.

The turf next to the tribute was replaced after a police forensics tent was removed yesterday.

The grave is also believed to be the final resting place of Ms Quirk’s grandparents and her brother Bernard, who died, aged 35, in 1993.

A post mortem report will be held on the latest remains found, along with those of the first three babies.

Detectives said it could take weeks – or even months – to establish their sex and age.

Merseyside police refused to comment on suggestions further searches could be conducted in the coming weeks.

Chief Superintendent Chris Armitt, area commander for St Helens, said: “As part of an ongoing investigation into the human remains found at Harlow Close, police recovered further remains, believed to be human, from the cemetery in St Helens.

“These remains will form part of the investigation.

“A Home Office pathologist will carry out a post mortem next week, and this will establish if the remains are human.

“Ongoing medical and forensic inquiries are under way to determine the age and sex of the babies, approximate year of birth and if possible cause of death.

“This process could take weeks, possibly months to complete.

“We cannot speculate as to the cause or circumstances of the deaths. Any inappropriate supposition is likely to have a severe impact on the investigation and the family.

“I would like to reassure members of the community that we are not currently looking for anybody else in connection with the investigation and there is no threat to the wider community.”

The large cemetery is just a five-minute drive from Harlow Close, where the three first sets of remains were found. A tip-off took police to the address at around 6am on Sunday.

Neighbours saw officers enter the house before an undertaker arrived later that morning.

Detectives have remained tight-lipped on where the remains were found and what, if anything, they were concealed in.

Police believe the corpses may have been secretly moved between houses in St Helens for up to two decades.

They said their initial inquiries led them to believe the babies could have been born in the mid-1980s and died soon after birth.

THE ECHO

Smartchild
Smartchild
says in the Echo today another baby's body has been found in a cemetery by a tombstone! i only saw the headlines.

Last edited by chris7777; 5th Sep 2009 2:37pm.
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
Originally Posted by chris7777
says in the Echo today another baby's body has been found in a cemetery by a tombstone! i only saw the headlines.

check my last post wink

_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
Ann Summers row led to St Helens baby bodies discovery

THESE are the first pictures of the Merseyside brother and sister at the centre of the grim discovery of three newborn babies’ bodies at a St Helens house.
[Linked Image]
Christopher Quirk, 26, his sister Joanne, 38, and mother Bernie were arrested on Sunday on suspicion of murder.

It came after police found the remains of the children on Sunday morning at a terraced house in Harlow Close, Sutton Heath, following a tip-off.

Police believe the decomposed corpses may have been secretly moved between houses in St Helens for up to two decades.

Bernie Quirk, 54, who lives at the property, was arrested along with son, Christopher, who also lives there.

Her daughter Joanne Blackburn, who also uses the surname Lee, lives a three minute walk away and was the third person held.

The three were bailed and are not thought to have returned to Harlow Close.

Merseyside Police, who said the remains could date back to the mid 1980s from babies who died very soon after birth, were today remaining tight-lipped.

Locals said the property was minutely searched as speculation grew the remains were found in the attic.

The family at the centre of the grisly find have lived at a handful of different addresses on the Sherdley Road estate.

Detectives will focus enquiries on several properties, and crucially say they are not seeking anyone else in connection with the deaths.

One line of enquiry is that the babies were kept a tragic secret after being stillborn.

The bizarre sequence of events leading to the shocking find started to emerge today.

On Saturday evening, police were called to a disturbance at a house on Freemantle Avenue, on the same estate, where Joanne Blackburn lives.

It is understood the 38-year-old had returned home from an Ann Summers lingerie party when a disagreement broke out.

Neighbours said they heard drunken screaming and shouting.

In the hours that followed, police received information that remains were hidden inside Harlow Close.

Neighbours in bed added they heard further screaming on the small walkway outside the raided property.
At around 6am, on Sunday, police stormed the house and officers found the remains.

Onlookers said police inside came out vomiting after coming across the tragic find.

A search was also carried out at the house on Freemantle Avenue where a computer and documents were seized.

Jacqueline Morris, who lives next door, said: “I saw Christopher being led out in handcuffs – he wasn’t saying much.

“It’s terrible to think those babies’ bodies have been there all this time.”

Lyn Murphy, 44, who has been living in the street for 14 years, said: “I believe the bodies were in the attic because I heard the police making noises upstairs as they were searching the house.

“There have been police forensics going in and out of the house for the past few days. Since Sunday there must have been three or four vans come by.”

Another resident Colin Johnson added: “We were dumbstruck, it makes your blood run cold. I’d gone to bed and at around 4.30am I heard a guy screaming at the top of his voice.”

Neighbours said Bernie Quirk used to live in Wigan, and was preparing to move back to the Lancashire town.

Establishing the identity of the babies could take months, depending on their age when they died.

Superintendent Steve Naylor said: “The investigation has only recently commenced and a number of lines of inquiry are being explored.

“We cannot speculate as to the cause or circumstances of the deaths and any inappropriate supposition is likely to have a severe impact on the investigation and the family concerned.

“This looks like being a complex investigation and a lot of hard work needs to be done before we can ascertain the full circumstances.”

THE ECHO

Last edited by _jase_; 5th Sep 2009 2:58pm.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Any updates yet?

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am