Wallasey Villagers clubhouse is destroyed by fire
THE old clubhouse of the Wallasey Villagers has been virtually destroyed in a fire.
The sense of shock and sadness is huge. The Villagers was established more than a century ago and is believed to be the oldest artisans society in the north and one of the oldest in the country. “I am utterly devastated,” said club secretary Gary Abbott.
The wooden clubhouse was built originally for the lady members of Wallasey Golf Club in the 1930s and when the ladies moved into the main clubhouse the artisans who had occupied one room in the caddy hut moved into the old clubhouse about 15 years ago.
The clubhouse with its own bar, was discovered in flames in the early hours of the morning and was so severely damaged it will have to be demolished.
The clubhouses had contained the usual tables and chairs and also a 42-inch television bought last year, about a dozen sets of golf clubs, and lockers more than 100 years old. Every trophy in the display cabinets, almost 20, is scorched.
Recently two members slept the night in the clubhouse and Abbott, a fire-fighter, says: “Thinking of what might had happened (if that had been repeated on this occasion) it would have been even more serious.”
He added: “I will have to send some begging letters out, see if we can resurrect ourselves. It would be easy to see this as the end but after 100 years we are not going to lie down and die. We will come out of this bigger and better.”
He pays tribute to the “tremendous” support the artisans have received from Wallasey Gold Club. It includes the offer of the use of the main clubhouse for a charity event this month.
The fire is not being investigated by the police as a case of suspected arson.
IF any Golfnorthwest reader would like to make a contribution to help the golfers in their efforts to rebuilt their clubhouse Gary Abbott’s address is is 21 Oakham Drive, Moreton, Merseyside CH46 6FF, telephone 0151 606 8949. Liverpool Daily Post