Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
14 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,530 guests, and 650 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#331966 25th Jun 2009 8:32pm
Snodvan Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Dad has had cable broadband with Win 98 for ages. Works very well and is infinitely more stable than systems using phone lines. Ethernet modem, not wireless.

Message today from dad (who is 91)

Err – my internet is not working

OK I will go have a look – sure enough DNS error ie cant find server

Checked all the cables and the modem lights looked correct/ steady

Went home to get my WinXP laptop because I also use NTL/ Virgin cable.
Connected that to Dad’s NTL system – same problem

Phoned NTL (OK, Virgin) help desk
Explained the problem

She asked me to connect up my laptop then (remember hard wired via cable – not wireless) and then her instructions:-

Control panel
Network connections
Local area connection
Support - checks IP is showing and is valid – OK

General tab - click on disable

Now tells me to close the computer down and to switch off the modem

Switch the modem back on first – wait 1 min
Switch the computer back on

Bingo – have internet connection

Thank you I say – now can we do that with my dad’s Win 98 computer

Sorry Sir, we are not trained to give any support for Win98 (she did not sound old enough to have even seen Win 98!!)

What can I do?

I can give you a support number to phone for that – it is an 09 premium rate number

S**T !

ANYONE out there remember Win98 and have any idea

a. What the problem may be (and may WHY it suddenly went wrong)?
b. How to more or less duplicate the instructions given to me for WinXP?

Snod

5 Precepts of Buddhism seem appropriate. Refrain from taking life. Refrain from taking that which is not given. Refrain from misconduct. Refrain from lying. Refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness
Google Ads
Addict
Addict
Snod

I am with NTL/Virgin and was on the 2MB broadband. They have been upgrading the 2Mb broadband to 10MB and after I was upgraded, about 3 weeks ago, I was having trouble with loosing the broadband connection, but not the last week for some reason. (I am using a wireless connection).

I have tested all my configurations etc., and cannot find the problem - but I mention this as I am wondering if your father has been upgraded from 2MB to 10MB?

Regarding Win 98, I still have Win 98 on on another dual boot laptop & will test the broadband connection on it tonight or tomorrow. If no one has been able to help you by then, I will get back to you & give you the results.

One thing though, I would suggest leaving the modem switched off for a few minutes at least.

Addict
Addict
I didn't want to mention this in the previous post as it may deviate from your question!

I realise you may already be aware of what I am going to say below blush

Using win98 for the internet is a security risk. There is too much detail for me to go into here, but even if your Dad isn't putting any of his personal information on it, his pc is still open to being hacked into - and could be the cause of the problem?

Personally, I would never use Win98 for the internet, especially using ANY personal information.

Is he using and anti-virus programe like AVG and a firewall like Zone Alarm? - Even though I am asking this, I don't believe you can use them anymore for Win98, I might be wrong?

One other thing to check is in the "device manager" - for a yellow question mark or light bulb (can't remember what it is in win98) - Recentley a friend of mine suddenly lost his internet connection and it turned out that for no reason his ethernet drivers were missing and he had to reinstall them!

Not configured anything on windows 98 for a while, if you look on your windows xp laptop connection, you should be able to find the DNS servers used. Try entering those onto your dads computer. Leave the IP address as obtain automatically. see if that works?

Snodvan Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Thanks for the advice Folks

Dad has been on 10 Meg BBand for ages now (while I am still on 2 Meg via a set-top box!! My upgrade is in a week or so) and he has not had any problems ie excellent system stability over the last couple of years.

I do regular (weekly) checks on his machine for viruses, adware etc - and I have never found anything bar the odd bit of adware. MacAfee is installed plus Adaware & Spybot. Some like MacAfee some do not, but it obviously works. Anyway, a hacker may be bored to death with posts etc about SAGA, British Legion, Police Homewatch + monitoring of shares on the Net

Plan today is to unplug dad's computer and to bring it to my house where I will connect it to my NTL line and see what happens.

I should add that dad being on Win98 is a function of his computer hardware ie a small Patriot bookcase machine with a whole 0.4Meg processor and a mere 0.5 meg RAM + tiny hard disk (still only 25% filled). It simply would not take WinXP

Cheers, Snod

5 Precepts of Buddhism seem appropriate. Refrain from taking life. Refrain from taking that which is not given. Refrain from misconduct. Refrain from lying. Refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness
Addict
Addict
Snod, Sorry that I went on about something you already are aware off!!

Can I make a suggestion about renewing the IP address. It's a while since I used it on Win98, which is a different way to Winxp etc, but here is a link to a webpage that gives you some info:
Win 98/ME - Using "Winipcfg" to Troubleshoot Networking Problems

Go down to "How do I use winipcfg.exe to troubleshoot connections?" to read about how to use the Renew function

Also - I tried my Win98 system last night and couldn't get the Virgin broadband working on it, but I need to spend more time on it - but no luck upto now, sorry.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Right, try using OpenDNS; to change the DNS servers in 9x, (I havent touched 9x for 5 years or more, as I changed my home network to Windows 2000 back in 1998 so forgive me if this is incorrect) go to control panel > network > highlight the network adapter you are using > then click properties > then there should be a tab called DNS or DNS configuration or summit. Click enable DNS, and then put these servers into it:

Then click apply or ok. This will usually override any ISP and/or modem allocated DNS servers. Now do a DNS flush, to do this got to start > run > type cmd and press enter > then type "ipconfig /flushdns" (without the quotes) and press return > then do this a second time and close the Command Prompt window.

Then restart Internet Explorer and see what happens. Report back with what happens.

Btw, McAfee, AVG and Zone Alarm, to be quite frank, are utter turd - free they may be, but you can't put a price on security, ESET Smart Security (Nod32) or Kaspersky are the products to have (and actually be able to rely on - and don't wank your computers resources - in fact Nod has the smallest memory footprint and CPU load of any AV on the market, by far).

For the love of god, if the laptop has a 1GB hard drive (2000 Professional requires 654MB out of the box + service pack size), 233Mhz CPU and 64MB RAM, change the OS to Windows 2000, it is no heavier than 98 but far far far more secure, stable, efficient and refined, and a very similar interface!! With SP4 installed, it is also quite compatible with many older programmes.

smile

Snodvan Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
Matt

Fings 'aint never as you expect

Control Panel - OK
Network - OK

But that pop-up only has 3 tabs at the top of a page
Configuration - identification - Access Control

When Configuration is selected (the default) an UPPER box shows the network components installed. The top one is Client for Microsoft Networks. Then there is

Davicom9102/A fast ethernet adapter
followed by various dial up adapters

LOWER down in the box it indicates Primary Network logon as
Client for Microsoft Networks

[This emphasis on Client for Microsoft Networks seems to be the same on my Win XP laptop so I presume it is OK]

Under the IDENTIFICATION tab there are 3 small boxes indicating
Computer Name
Workgroup
Computer description

Under ACCESS CONTROL tab there are two highlight buttons
Share level access control (highlighted)
User level access control (greyed out)

OK so I highlight Client for Microsoft Windows as the Network Adapter and then from the 3 tabs below

Add - Remove - Properties

I select properties

on the next pop-up page there is only one tab - General
In the top part of the box titled Logon Validation is a button to
"log on to Windows NT domain"

In the lower part of the box titled Network Logon Options there are two buttons

"Quick Logon" (greyed out)
"Logon and restore network connections" - autoselected

NO SIGN of a tab indicating DNS / DNS configuration

What next ?

What beats me is WHY the system suddenly failed to connect to the internet. Dad is prone to "dropping" files in the wrong places when he tried drag & drop but NO WAY will he fiddle with any setting. Basically all he does is send/ receive emails, use Word to write letters and read the news etc on the web.

Snod

UPDATE - I have dad's computer at my house now. It still will not connect to the NTL/ Virgin cable network, which is of course working fine with my own machines

<< need smiley for 'pulls hair out in frustration' >>

Last edited by Snodvan; 26th Jun 2009 3:46pm.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Is there a properties box for "Davicom9102/A fast ethernet adapter"?

Is he connecting to the net using a SACM (modem), STB (digital TV box) or an integrated modem-router?

You can control the DNS servers using netsh in CMD, but I don't want to go down that route just yet - for non-Linux users, it can get complicated.

If you can, try the DNS flush twice and try and renew the DHCP configuration (DOCSIS cable relies heavily on this):

Command prompt: start, run, type CMD and press enter
DNS Flush - command prompt, type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press enter.
DHCP Renewal - command prompt, type "ipconfig /registerdns" and press enter. Then do another DNS flush.

See if that helps.

Addict
Addict
From what I remember the Win98 version of ipconfig does not have the flushdns option.

You have to start> run "winipcfg". Then from its dialog box, first click on "release all" wait till it's finished, then "renew all."

Also I don't think you can even use run> CMD in Win98.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Snod/Matt I have'nt run Win98 for ages so can't remember where things are, but did used to have to delete the equivalent to XP's "Windows Network Connection" sometimes and create a new one. Didn't matter how much you faffed around with it, it wouldn't do anything unless you started afresh.

I think on Win98 this was the network adaptor - wherever the tcp/ip settings are, I guess this holds logon and passwords as well - can't remember.

I wasn't using cable broadband but it was coming in on ethernet port in a similar manner (hardware firewall).

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
You could well be correct, ipconfig was deffo in NT4, which was released long before 98, so would have thought they would have taken it across, but then again, it is Microsoft we are talking about here.

Stupid MS for not realising that networking would become an integral part of any mainstream OS within years.

Im assuming the network shell exists in 98?

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Netsh was there on Win98 but I never got it to work, I put this down to firewalls and some settings I had attacked.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Netsh was there on Win98 but I never got it to work, I put this down to firewalls and some settings I had attacked.

Ah well in that case, try typing the following to change the DNS servers in command prompt:

netsh interface ip set dns name=”Local Area Connection” 208.67.222.222

press enter

then add the second DNS server:

netsh interface ip add dns name=”Local Area Connection” 208.67.220.220

So long as the first one works, the DNS should resolve correctly. The problem with the network shell, is the command lines tend to vary from OS to OS, I know for a fat that the command lines in Windows 2003 are somewhat changed from XP, and they are both running the same kernel and core-OS...

Snodvan Offline OP
Forum Addict
OP Offline
Forum Addict
you guys are talking above my head now with things like DNS flushes and DHCP configuration etc

For info
Dad uses a regular cable modem (NTL 250)but just at the moment I have his machine connected via my Set Top Box system. I was not REALLY expecting that dad's machine would connect via my "funny" STB system. I simply made the hook up in my house so that in peace/ quiet I could sit and look at the various options shown by Win 98 Control Panel - network ... and the subsequent pages. It is also 5+ years (or more) since I used Win98 and as we have all found out our memories are not what they used to be.

Tomorrow I will take dad's computer back to his house and will try the connection moves suggested.

What DD is saying about having to delete the equivalent to XP's "Windows Network Connection" etc sort of rings true. When I was connecting MY Win XP lappy to dad's NTL cable yesterday it did not work initially. However, following instructions from the NTL person I did that delete, re-established the connection and was able to access the web. When I asked the NTL person how to do that same move for Win 98 was when I was told "we are not trained to give that advice".

Snod

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mark 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am