Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,360
Posts1,033,313
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
13 members (4 invisible), 9,823 guests, and 479 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:09am
Wirral waters
by casper - 6th Apr 2024 9:07am
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by hootmeil - 4th Apr 2024 1:15pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
casper 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#330924 19th Jun 2009 12:14pm
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_

EXCLUSIVE: The council spy car patrolling Wirral, photographing and fining motorists

A SURVEILLANCE car paid for with council tax is patrolling Wirral taking surreptitious photographs of errant motorists who then receive fines through the post.

But Wirral West MP Stephen Hesford and local councillors have questioned Wirral Council's motives.
The white Smart car - marked out in Wirral Council livery - is fitted with a 'periscope' camera on its roof.

The council says it is primarily to catch out "disruptive or dangerous" drivers - like those who park on zig zag road markings outside schools.

But on Wednesday afternoon a Globe reader spotted it parked in The Crescent, West Kirby - a road the council had been planning to pedestrianise earlier this year - apparently monitoring motorists stopping to use an ATM at a bank opposite on Banks Road.

Its camera was level with the private accomodation above The Crescent's shops. "I was horrified," said the reader, who has asked not to be named but who emailed us his photographs of the car.

"It can park normally and then raise its periscope camera to spy on vehicles while hidden in a row of parked cars.

"You then receive a parking ticket without knowing an offence has been committed. That's sneaky.

"I would also be very concerned about misuse and abuse of this periscope camera by the drivers and of course the cost of such a unit."

He added: "The choice of a Smart car was obviously deliberate, it's size enabling it to hide effectively in a row of parked cars to carry out it's dastardly business.

"I find it petty and vindictive which I guess sums up this awful council.

"Seeing it in the flesh brought home the Orwellian nature of its intrusiveness. I had shivers down the spine."

Wirral West MP Mr Hesford said: "I just wonder whether the council has its priorities right.

"At a time when it wishes to decimate library services it is spending thousands of pounds in snooping on my constituents and disrupting the ordinary commercial life of places like West Kirby.

"I think that the council should re-examine its spending priorities."

The car was seen driving through New Brighton on Thursday afternoon by Globe photographer David Gennard, who followed it as it drove past St Mary's College in Wallasey Village, up Grove Road and onto Warren Drive into New Brighton.

The resort's Conservative Cllr Sue Taylor said: "How dare they waste this money?

"There are more than enough parking enforcement officers on the streets as it is.

"The police also operate large and small CCTV vans so this is just blatantly duplicating services we are already paying for.

"Who's agreed it and how much? Surveillance doesn't come cheap."

Tory Cllr Leah Fraser, who until recently chaired the corporate services committee that investigated Wirral Council's use of the government's controversial RIPA laws - which allow council employees to use anti-terror legislation to snoop on residents for incidents like fly-tipping and anti-social behaviour - was also angry.

"This is yet another example of Wirral Council’s confused priorities," she said.

"A mobile CCTV camera, which was bought to improve road safety around schools, is instead being used to boost the council’s income from parking fines.

"This is the same council that had to switch off the CCTV cameras in crime hotspots due to cash problems.

"Big Brother is alive and well in Wallasey Town Hall, whether it is secret snooping using anti-terrorist laws or a video camera on a twenty foot pole going past your bedroom window."

She added: "Where are these pictures stored? How long are they kept for?

"The public needs to know how long this information is stored and who's got access to it."

A council spokeswoman said: "The vehicle has been on the road since April.

"It has been supplied and is operated by NSL (formerly NCP) as part of their parking enforcement contract with Wirral Council.

"There is no additional cost to the council for the vehicle’s deployment.

"Authorisation for the use of this CCTV vehicle in Wirral came from cabinet, and it is primarily used to tackle disruptive or dangerous parking, for example outside schools, although it may be used to deal with problem parking anywhere across the borough."

THE GLOBE

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
I agree with them starting to take action against what some see as petty crime. At one time you would be pulled over for a bulb out, it was a constant reminder to behave yourself, these days no action is taken until someone does a Freddy Kruger.

All crime should be addressed, not ignored, it leads onto bigger crime if it is ignored.

I can't believe the number of parents who park on yellow lines and zig-zags outside schools - they should be done for contemplated manslaughter (if there was such a thing!). I fully support action taken against them, and against the pervs who regularly oggle/chat to schoolkids.

Have you ever sat outside a school and watch what goes on - public service vehicle parked on zig-zags wolf-whistling at schoolkids!!! Sadly some kids take this as a compliment - think they must look grown up - OMG

Guess they can use this vehicle for other offences as well, like criminals that openely take the lifebelts despite people watching them.

Criminals that smash bus shelters, despite people watching.

Its time the word criminal is used more instead of going down the newspaper routes of complaining about enforement of the law.

The only thing I disagree about this car is that you are not informed at the time, there should be a huge flash and a siren blasted straight in your face - YOU'VE BEEN DONE - CRIMINAL!

Oh dear .... I must have watched some television last night, this is why I normally don't, back into nice cosy little nuclear bunker while I scream.

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Good God man, are you ill raftl What have you done with the real DD? Give him back!!

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
See last para

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
I should bloody well think so raftl

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Awesome
Wiki Master
Awesome
Wiki Master
They should write Google on the side - then people would smile and wave at them - instead of shaking their fist raftl

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
If ya doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear, might stop some of the cocks who think they are above everyone and have the right to park illegally just so they dont have to walk a couple of extra yards!!

Addict
Addict
Have always said this to anyone who says CCTV is 'against my civil rights' 'is big brother state' etc. If you are not doining anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.
I believe everyone should be chipped at birth, bit like dogs and cats are by RSPCA, and all your info kept on that, so if you are found injured, have an acident, arrested etc authorities can scan and have your info, name, address, blood type etc. Also kids go missing you can locate them straight away, would cut down on abductions as they would be traced straight away and you would know who they were with off their tag.
I know its radical, but anyone who is a law abiding citizen would have nothing to worry about

P
PaulWirral
Unregistered
PaulWirral
Unregistered
P
Seems like someone has left a shoebox outside Waterfields.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Beaty59
Have always said this to anyone who says CCTV is 'against my civil rights' 'is big brother state' etc. If you are not doining anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.
I believe everyone should be chipped at birth, bit like dogs and cats are by RSPCA, and all your info kept on that, so if you are found injured, have an acident, arrested etc authorities can scan and have your info, name, address, blood type etc. Also kids go missing you can locate them straight away, would cut down on abductions as they would be traced straight away and you would know who they were with off their tag.
I know its radical, but anyone who is a law abiding citizen would have nothing to worry about

Amen that man!!

Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide

Are you for real?
How about bar code on the back of the neck? Names taken away and given a number? Camera located in every room in every household? Mandatory head shaving?

CHIPPED AT BIRTH?!?!?!

"C20 LET bang"
Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
I know its radical

Jesus, I'm gobsmacked.

"C20 LET bang"
Awesome
Wiki Master
Awesome
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Station

Are you for real?
How about bar code on the back of the neck? Names taken away and given a number? Camera located in every room in every household? Mandatory head shaving?

CHIPPED AT BIRTH?!?!?!

You can't give chips to a baby no

_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
Wirral Council transport chief defends 'spy car' tactics

WIRRAL council's transport chief has hit back at criticism in the Globe of the authority's so-called spy car.

Last week, we published picturs of the white Smart car using its 11ft periscope to to sneak pictures of shoppers parking in West Kirby to use a cash point.

Stephen Hesford, MP for Wirral West, said the council ought to have beter things to do than "snooping on my constituents and disrupting the ordinary commercial life of places like West Kirby."

He said the council should re-examine its spending priorities.

And Tory councillor Leah Fraser said: "Big Brother is alive and well in Wallasey Town Hall, whether it is secret snooping using anti-terrorist laws or a video camera on a 20ft pole going past your bedroom window."

Wirral’s cabinet member for Streetscene and transport services emailed the paper this morning to say: "Wirral tax payers do not pay for the Smart CCTV car.

"The car is used to target drivers parking illegally causing hazards to road users and pedestrians.

"If we were to have a ‘spy car’ it would not have a council logo and camera logo on the sides of the vehicle and it would not have an 11ft mounted camera on a telescopic arm."

And she added: "The drivers are trained and experienced professionals who use the car for parking enforcement; only people parking illegally have anything to fear."

THE GLOBE

What do YOU think?

_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
this was parked outside liscard primary school at 3:15pm today. spying on mums and dads picking there kids up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 8:57pm
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,119 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,118 Spotted!