WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 8,175 guests, and 438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
: RONNIE MOORE SACKED FROM TRANMERE ROVERS

TRANMERE Rovers have today terminated the contract of manager Ronnie Moore with immediate effect.

Ronnie joined the club in June 2006 and took them to ninth place in League One in his first season, 11th in 2007/08 and then seventh last season, just missing out on a play off position.

In a statement, the club said: "Attendances have dropped by more than 19 per cent during the last three years and the club felt that now is the right time to move forward in a new direction."

Chairman, Peter Johnson said: "I'd like to thank Ronnie for his services to the club over the last three seasons and to wish him well for the future.

"We now need to focus on next season and we will start the process of finding a new manager and assistant manager immediately in preparation for the pre season training which starts on July 1."

Lorraine Rogers stood down as Tranmere Rovers chairman at the end of the season after ten years with club, although she still retains a seat on the board

Moore's assistant manager Peter Shirtliff has also departed to join Swindon Town.

At a press conference only this Wednesday, which turned out to be his final one for the club, Moore was looking to the future.

After signing Oldham midfielder Mark Allott, Moore said: "Next season you can guarantee that the team is going to be a lot younger and so someone with Mark's experience will be vital to us.

"The way budgets are now, it's not only here where budgets are going to be cut, but all over."

He said he was also searching for a new assistant manager.

"It's a shame we've lost Peter, because he's done a great job and is an excellent coach. It will be hard to find a replacement for him.

"But I suppose if somebody offers you more money, there's not a great deal you can do. Deep down, he probably feels Swindon Town will do better than us this season, which will be a challenge for us.

"I've got four or people who I'm interested in as replacements for Peter and have had about 20 phone calls."

Outside Rovers' Prenton Park this afternoon, fans have had a mixed reaction to the news.

Andrew Kendrick, 19, from Prenton said: "I was shocked, in a way, but also excited to see what would happen with the club next. But I didn't want him to leave.

"I thought that he'd been a good manager and I wanted him to stay, because he's just signed a new player. Hopefully, we'll get a big name manager like Paul Ince or someone like that."

Wayne Lamb, aged 19, from Prenton said: "To be honest, I think he should have got sacked because he came to the club all mouth saying he would get us up into the top two.

"Never mind finishing in the top two, he didn't even get us into the play-offs.

"I've never liked him and think he should have been sacked a long time ago. Hopefully a big name like Paul Ince comes in."

--------------------------------

LIFE AND TIMES OF RONNIE MOORE:

Ronnie Moore was born in Liverpool and he began his playing career with Tranmere Rovers as a centre-half, before making a successful switch to centre-forward.

He also played for Cardiff City where his somewhat disappointing goalscoring record of six goals led some fans to sport badges bearing the legend "I Saw Ronnie Moore Score".

He later played for Rotherham United, Charlton Athletic and Rochdale, before returning to Tranmere, where he finished his playing career.

In a recent poll, Moore was voted as Rotherham's greatest ever player, beating the likes of Mark Robins and Paul Hurst.

Moore's first managerial post was a two-month caretaker spell at Tranmere, while still acting as a player.

After later acting as assistant manager to John King, he replaced Steve Joel as the manager of Conference side Southport in the 1996/1997 season, before beginning his first full-time managerial role in 1997 at former club Rotherham United.

He proved a success at Millmoor, taking the club from the Third Division to the First Division in successive seasons. Moore helped keep Rotherham at this level for three years but left the club early in 2005.

Moore then joined Oldham Athletic in March 2005, and the club did enough to avoid relegation in his first season.

He achieved a mid-table place the following year but parted company with Oldham because of poor season ticket sales.

Moore soon returned to management with former club Tranmere in June, 2006, just eight days after leaving Oldham.

He started in charge of Rovers by buying nine players in the close season, quality players like Chris Shuker and Paul McLaren.

In his first year at Rovers he guided his team to a 9th place finish, after looking set for a play off place for most of the year.

Again he shuffled things around in the summer with Kevn Ellison and Jason McAteer amongst the departures.

In came goalkeeper Danny Coyne, defenders Antony Kay and Ben Chorley and midielder Adnan Ahmed.

In his second year it was another near miss, this time Rovers finished 11th after being top in mid-October.

Injuries seemed to be against Ronnie also as his two key wingers Chris Shuker & Steve Davies were ruled out for long spells. He did enough in his first two years at the club to earn a new contract in May 2007.

This season, Moore took Rovers to within an inch of the play-offs, a last-gasp equaliser in the final game of the season from Scunthorpe Utd denying them the position.

THE GLOBE

Google Ads
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Good move i think

drifting drifting and yet more skidding
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Definately NOT a good move, especially if the rumours are true that Barnes and McAteer are being lined up. I am gutted.

Last edited by ronnie; 5th Jun 2009 4:20pm.
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
like all football teams....they are just a bussiness now.

Uncertainty or not knowing causes depression, Im happy because I know I'm going to die one day!
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Ronnie did a good job, they must have something lined up or at least i feckin hope they have. I dont believe the season ticket sales line for one minute. They cocked that up themselves with the p1ss poor attempt at marketing the £125 season ticket.

"can you describe the assailant?"
"er, 6ft3, moustache"
"my, thats a big moustache!"
Best thing to happen at the Rovers for years,Moore had no respect in the dressing room,I remember him in his latter playing years there,him and his family thought they were the club.
Goodbye and good riddance,I've only been to 2 games in the time he has been manager.I refused to set foot in the place.I should get some games in now next season.

Chris.

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
2 games in 3 years but you still reckon you can judge him? As for refusing to set foot in the place, thats a bit sad really, you should still support them regardless. I was not a Moore fan but you cant argue with what he has done season just gone.

Hope you give the next boss a bit of support!

"er, 6ft3, moustache"
Originally Posted by Sir_longmong
2 games in 3 years but you still reckon you can judge him? As for refusing to set foot in the place, thats a bit sad really, you should still support them regardless. I was not a Moore fan but you cant argue with what he has done season just gone.

Hope you give the next boss a bit of support!
I Having worked there(behind the scenes so to speak) in his latter years as a player and assistant manager,I got to know quite a few of them.Which is why I refused to go whilst he was manager.My son is mates with a player,he has confirmed my feelings I'm afraid,he was the only manager in my 38 years a supporter that never had my backing.I really hope the next set-up includes Ray Mathias,he has TRFC running through his veins.

Chris.

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Ince and Mathias would be good, was hoping for Coppell though.

"er, 6ft3, moustache"
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
SKY SPORTS NEWS have announced that John Barnes will be unveiled as Rovers new manager in a press conference on Monday morning.

Last edited by jonno40; 14th Jun 2009 12:04pm.

It all makes perfect sense expressed in dollars and cents ,pound shillings and pence

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am