WikiWirral is where great friendships are made.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
8 members (3 invisible), 8,626 guests, and 425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Beginner
OP Offline
Beginner
Thousands of residents in Heswall, Pensby, Irby and Thingwall are being invited to take part in a pioneering TravelWise initiative, which aims to reduce peak-time congestion on the main routes into Birkenhead and Liverpool city centre. The TravelWise Personal Travel Planning project is set to challenge around 10,000 households in the area to opt for greener modes of travel - such as public transport, walking or cycling - instead of jumping in the car.

The project will run until the end of September. As part of the initiative, a TravelWise team will be visiting residents in Heswall, Pensby, Irby and Thingwall to offer a free personalised travel service to cut the cost, time, hassle and carbon emissions from their journeys. Participants will be offered free support, information and discounts to help them try out smarter ways to travel.

Neil Scales, Chair of the Merseyside Transport Partnership and Chief Executive and Director General of Merseytravel, believes the project will help reduce carbon emissions and congestion in the area.

He said: “Households with at least one car often have certain barriers to using more sustainable methods of transport – they tell us that they don’t know anything about bus routes, or they don’t know a lower-traffic route for cycling. Our bespoke personal travel planning approach, which will see TravelWise teams speaking to residents face-to-face, will address the individual needs of people in these areas by offering tailored support and incentives.

“Part of the challenge is to remind people who rely on their cars about the alternatives available. For example, we have some excellent bus links from Heswall, Pensby, Irby and Thingwall into Birkenhead and Liverpool, which are cheaper and faster than the driving commute. We also offer support for cyclists (and those who want to give cycling a go), in the form of access to free cycle maps which show easy cycle routes, led rides during the summer months, and cycle skills sessions.”

The TravelWise Personal Travel Planning project in Heswall, Pensby, Irby and Thingwall was set up following the success of a smaller pilot project in South Liverpool last year. This scheme saw an increase of almost 10 percent in the use of sustainable travel and a reduction in car use by more than 10 percent. It was extremely popular with residents and those participating in the scheme also cut their carbon emissions considerably.

Councillor Jean Quinn, Chair of Merseyside Transport and Planning Committee, commented: “Helping people to find travel options which are cheaper, healthier and greener is key to cutting congestion, improving air quality and making the roads safer. This TravelWise initiative is about helping people see how making some journeys by bus, train, bike or walking can be better for everyone.

For more information on the initiative, and to find out how to take part, visit www.LetsTravelWise.org or pop in to see the TravelWise Personal Travel Planning team at the TravelWise Personal Travel Planning Office, which is above Thornton’s on Downham Road South. The office will be open until the end of September between 10am-12pm Monday to Friday.

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Cracking idea to introduce this in the summer grin

Unfortunatly its not as much fun in the winter - waiting in the cold / wet / wind, to get on a crowded, dirty, bus / train, which takes you much longer to get home and costs you more.... [Linked Image]

Unfortunatly, our public transport system sucks!

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
Addict
Addict
Originally Posted by StuyMac

Unfortunatly its not as much fun in the winter - waiting in the cold / wet / wind, to get on a crowded, dirty, bus / train, which takes you much longer to get home and costs you more.... [Linked Image]

Unfortunatly, our public transport system sucks!

That is also why I can't see this idea working

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Well said Stuy clap It's also ok when the buses DO turn up!! On Saturday, I was intending on getting a specific bus (run by Avon Buses), it was missed out and so I ended up having to wait an hour for another bus that could even get me close to where I needed to be, then get a taxi from there to my destination as there were no other buses or trains that went close and it's not walking distance!!

If they want to get people on public transport, make the companies run to the timetable they state! If they don't run on time or miss buses out, pull the plug on that company and tender it out to a company that WILL run it properly!! I have to say, it's not the first time I've had issues with Avon - they frequently miss stops out, generally the one on Victoria Parade.

When you have to be in a certain place at a certain time, such as college for me, and they miss the bus out, it not only makes you look tardy for turning up to class late and make you annoyed for being made to be late, it also means that I am paying for a College course that I am not getting the full benefit from due to Avon not being able to run their service properly!

The fares are akin to highway robbery, to the point where it's actually cheaper to run a car than travel by public transport.

They need to sort the grass roots of the service out first before spending time and money on what is no more than a publicity stunt!! noonoo

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by TravelWise
Neil Scales, Chair of the Merseyside Transport Partnership and Chief Executive and Director General of Merseytravel

I bet theres a few drinks in it for him...

...it had to be a plan to line someones pocket with more cash... [Linked Image]

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
I'd be interested to know what the carbon emissions are for a bus, just out of curiosity think

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Smartchild
Smartchild
Ah so there looking for wirral residents to fund Liverpools Tram scheme again either that or foot the bill for the submarine down at woodside.
I still dont understand how one company can control the tunnels, rail network and transport links across to Liverpool. Seems like a win win situation, I pity those that have to travel over every day. have they re opened the liverpool loop yet?
katrina

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
What a joke - the bus service in the Heswall area is none existant - people can't afford an extra 2+ hours a day travelling - quality of life and all that.

If they want people to use the bus, they have to provide the buses.

The Liverpool buses from Heswall go round the world, visiting Rome, Sydney and such like places - they are the slowest way of getting to Liverpool, not quicker than driving.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
TheComputerLab
TheComputerLab
Wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am