Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Stats
12136 Members
65 Forums
72383 Topics
976042 Posts
12 posts in the last 24hrs
Max Online: 7831 @ 8th Apr 2013 4:18pm
Who's Online - Click Me
57 registered (11kendo, 9 invisible), 974 Guests and 180 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Social Media : Follow Us

(Views 7days)This Weeks Most Read
Wirral Globe 553
Pensby Hotel 521
Raspberry Pi in the classroom! 430
HMT Lancastria 398
Another Big Waste Fire in Liverpool. 379
Name help 354
54 plate renault clio 3rd brake light 181
A job. Company not named. 141
Wirral TUC Meeting re Update on Wallasey CLP Suspe 122
crop loss & water rationing in Dominican Republic 99
New General Forums
Lib/dems rule the day
by JimmyG
2nd Dec 2016 10:59pm
Daft funny joke
by venice
2nd Dec 2016 5:54pm
We dont learn much.
by venice
1st Dec 2016 9:22pm
Freegle
by venice
1st Dec 2016 6:36pm
New Wirral History
Name help
by Paternoster21
3rd Dec 2016 8:03am
HMT Lancastria
by granny
2nd Dec 2016 11:38pm
Cubitts Holland and Hannen
by fish5133
27th Nov 2016 5:38pm
Fire station
by chris7777
22nd Nov 2016 12:24pm
Buy a house in Greasby for 12s a week - in 1935
by yoller
6th Oct 2016 6:56pm
Forum Tips
Photo Gallery Forums
fireworks on the Mersey last night
Hadlow train station
Topic Replies
Another tree down on Arrowe park Road?
by diggingdeeper
11:53 AM
That was kept a bit quiet?
by venice
11:25 AM
anything with castors
by dustymclean
10:53 AM
Pot Holes--How Long To Repair
by keef666
10:34 AM
Blank Page : Offline
by Mark
09:53 AM
Bunchems Xmas present warning
by venice
09:28 AM
MIG welder
by anniebo28
01:34 AM
What song are you listening to?
by starakita
06:23 PM
Game shocking prices!!!
by eddtheduck
04:55 PM
December
M Tu W Th F Sa Su
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Recent Posts : What's On ?
Wirral TUC Meeting re Update on Wallasey CLP Suspe
by RUDEBOX
30th Nov 2016 9:16pm
World Aids Day Event 2016. Liverpool
by RUDEBOX
30th Nov 2016 9:05pm
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#324052 - 29th May 2009 4:17am Should we have gay clergy??
ChrisNewcastle Offline
Smartchild

Loc: Newcastle upon Tyne/Ex wirral
This has been a hot topic in most religions around the world,and I was just wondering what you guys thought?? me personally could not give a fig...live and let live, but preaching is teaching at the end of the day. I'm a 'puff' myself but can understand the upset to deep believers but in this day and age....come on!!

Wirral Info : Advertising
Click me for more Information......

* * * vipstudios.co.uk - Photographic Studios * * *
Now Advertise with WikiWirral.
WikiWirral stats 35,000 Page Views a Day +500 Search Engines.. Click Me
#324064 - 29th May 2009 8:33am Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: ChrisNewcastle]
bert1 Offline

Wiki Veteran

Loc: tranmere
The law of averages say we have many many gay clergy now and have done for ever. What your question should be, should the churches openly recognize them. I am not a religious person but have always thought religion should reflect life, why should someone who is not classed as mainstream be denied a religious calling. The church is modernising, it just takes time.
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.

#324118 - 29th May 2009 7:03pm Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: bert1]
hoseman Offline
Forum Master

Loc: Bromborough
Problem with this is Bert... Would you let your son be a member of this persons parish and be in direct contact??
Not homophobic, dont get me wrong, but you hear soooo much aboout clergy abusing their position and then the child abuse comes to light!
And then there is the religeous aspect about gays!!
Would you let a mass murderer be a clergy?? Even if they have repented their sins to god etc... Would you go into an empty room with them and feel safe?? Didnt think so!!
I am a Catholic, non practicing, and i had religeon rammed down my throat at an early age, bunch of hypocrits to me, may as well be POLITICIANS!!!!!!
And you dont want to get me started on THAT subject....!!! LOL

BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY!

#324177 - 30th May 2009 5:57am Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: hoseman]
bert1 Offline

Wiki Veteran

Loc: tranmere
I can't and would not make a link between homosexuality and pedophilia, if a child is in danger of being abused whether it is within the church or not it would be down to the latter rather than the former. As i see it and in answering your question, if the church was open about gay clergy at least you would have a choice of where to send your children, as it stands now people don't know what sexual persuasion there clergy are because it has to be kept under wraps. In the grand scheme of things are we going to refuse to let our children be in the presence of gay school teachers, medical people, etc, etc.
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.

#324761 - 1st Jun 2009 7:28pm Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: bert1]
Softy_Southerner Offline

Forum Guardian

Loc: Back in Devon
Gay clergy cannot be openly recognised by the church as homosexuality is a sin in their eyes.

#324771 - 1st Jun 2009 7:42pm Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: Softy_Southerner]
derekdwc Online   content

Forum Veteran

Loc: Birkenhead
my friend who is a reverend does not believe in women clergy either
He believes only in what is in the bible
He asked a woman priest/priestess? if she believed in the bible
and when she said yes he asked her how she could be a priest
He says it is in the bible that a woman can't be a priest
Are they called Priest/Priestess/Mother/Father

Why does a church (the house of God)have lightning conductors

Edited by derekdwc (1st Jun 2009 7:45pm)

#324786 - 1st Jun 2009 8:29pm Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: derekdwc]
MissGuided Offline

Awesome
Wiki Guardian

Loc: Back of the wardrobe
34-36 When the Pharisees heard how he had bested the Sadducees, they gathered their forces for an assault. One of their religion scholars spoke for them, posing a question they hoped would show him up: "Teacher, which command in God's Law is the most important?"

37-40 Jesus said, "'Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.' This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: 'Love others as well as you love yourself.' These two commands are pegs; everything in God's Law and the Prophets hangs from them."

Matthew 22:34-40

#324807 - 1st Jun 2009 8:58pm Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: derekdwc]
Wench Offline

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran

Loc: Second Circle of Hell.
Originally Posted By: derekdwc
my friend who is a reverend does not believe in women clergy either
He believes only in what is in the bible

I take it if that is the case, that he believes in child brutality, degrading women and their reproductive functions, motherhood, marriage? Making rape victims marry the men that rape them!?!?!?

Itís hard to be fit as a fiddle when youíre shaped like a cello!

#324811 - 1st Jun 2009 9:04pm Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: Wench]
diggingdeeper Offline

Wiki Guardian

Loc: Birkenhead
Originally Posted By: Wench
I take it if that is the case, that he believes in child brutality, degrading women and their reproductive functions, motherhood, marriage? Making rape victims marry the men that rape them!?!?!?
Some females just don't understand what males have to go through.... imagine having to take a vow of celebacy and then having to become a homosexual or paedo in order to only half break your vow.

#324944 - 1st Jun 2009 11:58pm Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: bert1]
marilyn Offline

Old Hand

Loc: liverpool city centre
Originally Posted By: bert1
I can't and would not make a link between homosexuality and pedophilia, if a child is in danger of being abused whether it is within the church or not it would be down to the latter rather than the former. As i see it and in answering your question, if the church was open about gay clergy at least you would have a choice of where to send your children, as it stands now people don't know what sexual persuasion there clergy are because it has to be kept under wraps. In the grand scheme of things are we going to refuse to let our children be in the presence of gay school teachers, medical people, etc, etc.
im with you bert spot on also lucifer i agree live and let live

#324947 - 2nd Jun 2009 12:08am Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: marilyn]
MattLFC Offline
Wiki Master

Loc: Moreton/Beirut/Mobile
The church only want's you to believe what is beneficial for them. You think women are regarded as second class citizens in the Christian religion? Think again, but this is what the church likes you to believe.

Anyone who is interested in the conspiracy of how the church moulded History to suit them, take a look at a video I uploaded, recorded off BBC last year:

The Lost Gospels - The Truth The Church Doesnt Want You To Know

Originally Posted By: BBC Synopsis
Anglican priest Peter Owen Jones explores the huge number of ancient Christian texts that didn't make it into the New Testament. Shocking and challenging, these were works in which Jesus didn't die, took revenge on his enemies and kissed Mary Magdalene on the mouth. Pete travels through Egypt and the former Roman Empire looking at the evidence of a Christian world very different to the one we know, and finds over seventy gospels, acts, letters and apocalypses all circulating in the early Church.

I myself am a "sometimes practising" Roman Catholic, though thinking of changing to CoE because the RC religion does not match my beliefs. In honesty though, I don't know if I will be a Christian in 10 years time, Catholocism especially seem's to be a very hypocrytical religion, as are the vast majority of followers and preachers, and the video above has just about killed any faith I one had in the religion.

#324961 - 2nd Jun 2009 1:44am Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: MattLFC]
Wench Offline

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran

Loc: Second Circle of Hell.
Matt - there are some very worrying verses, chapters, books, whatever you want to call them, in the bible that encourage the things that I mentioned above. It's not so much what the Church want you to believe as what those that follow the bible to the letter are "told" to do.

I know the bible was written by "man" but the fact that some of it is so very disturbing got me into a lot of trouble when I was a teenager as I questioned them. I won't go into great detail, but I was told in no uncertain terms that I was "spawn of satan" and not welcome.

Thankfully, for me, I was allowed to grow and find my own way by my parents. There was always encouragement on free thinking and when my Dad died, the Church could offer me no answers or comfort, but Wicca and Paganism did. I've never looked back.

I have some very close friends that are of other religions, and some "acquaintances" who I would class as "fundamentalist Christians" - they are the ones that worry me the most. I have to say that I have more "Christian" values in my little toe than some of them do in their whole bodies. I've had Church going, God fearing people spit at my feet, cross the road to avoid being near me, had bird feet hung outside my front door, told that I should be burnt at the stake and a whole mirriad of things all because I appeared on a tv programme about Witchcraft. It beggars belief no

I don't care what religion people are, treat me with respect and I will do the same to you, same with colour, sexuality etc etc. A good person is a good person, irrespective of anything.

Itís hard to be fit as a fiddle when youíre shaped like a cello!

#324964 - 2nd Jun 2009 1:57am Re: Should we have gay clergy?? [Re: Wench]
MattLFC Offline
Wiki Master

Loc: Moreton/Beirut/Mobile
If you watch that video, even just the first 5 minutes, you will see that the "bible" that we know today, is far from the truth, indeed it is compiled of gospels and texts written some 400 years after the death of Jesus Christ.

The texts that have been uncovered which date from the time of Jesus' actual life, tell a very different story from what is now preached in the bible, and have the potential to shake the entire world of Christianity on it's head. The presenter of the programme, is himself, a Christian (Anglican) priest, yet has come to question the whole theology and the integrity of the roots of Christianity in light of the evidence that he has uncovered.

As the programme goes on to reveal, it is questionable as to whether Christianity would even have survived in the modern world, had it not been for the church's "tampering" with it's very origins. It also reveals how the entire religion, is based upon supression and scaremongering, and an overall show of superiority by the Christian church over their followers.

And as for Christianity in the UK, we all know that it shares its roots with Celtic Paganism, thank's to St Patrick's saving of Christianity after the Roman Empire fell, and Britain became a Pagan society. Indeed, had it not been for St Patricks convergence of Christianity into the Irish Paganistic belief, Christianity in Britain would not have become the mass-religion it is today within Britain, so if the preachers and anti-pagan's would care to revisit their own British Christian History, they would soon find out they actually have a lot to be thankful for of the Pagan religion.

Moderator:  Mod 
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Another tree down on Arrowe park Road?
by Davefabo
6th Dec 2016 11:08am
Game shocking prices!!!
by eddtheduck
5th Dec 2016 4:55pm
Another Big Waste Fire in Liverpool.
by Wally1