Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,862 guests, and 573 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shambo Offline OP
Wise One
OP Offline
Wise One
Dramatic footage obtained by the Guardian shows that the man who died at last week's G20 protests in London was attacked from behind and thrown to the ground by a baton–wielding police officer in riot gear.

Moments after the assault on Ian Tomlinson was captured on video, he suffered a heart attack and died.

The Guardian is preparing to hand a dossier of evidence to the police complaints watchdog.

It sheds new light on the events surrounding the death of the 47-year-old newspaper seller, who had been on his way home from work when he was confronted by lines of riot police near the Bank of England.

The film reveals that as he walks, with his hands in his pockets, he does not speak to the police or offer any resistance.

A phalanx of officers, some with dogs and some in riot gear, are close behind him and try to urge him forward.

A Metropolitan police officer appears to strike him with a baton, hitting him from behind on his upper thigh.

Moments later, the same policeman rushes forward and, using both hands, pushes Tomlinson in the back and sends him flying to the ground, where he remonstrates with police who stand back, leaving bystanders to help him to his feet.

The man who shot the footage, a fund manager from New York who was in London on business, said: "The primary reason for me coming forward is that it was clear the family were not getting any answers."

full story & video

Google Ads
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
pigs.

Uncertainty or not knowing causes depression, Im happy because I know I'm going to die one day!
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Admittedly, the push is a little harsh, but in all honesty, if you where surrounded / being followed by shouting riot police, would you be walking along, head down, hands in pockets think

I think Id be pretty keen to move on, regardless of if I was involved with the protest or not...

To me, his lack of awareness makes him appear drunk??? think

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
Wiki Guide
Wiki Guide
The protest was peaceful until the swarms of riot police turned up. They actually turned up during the 'Protest Through Poetry', they wouldn't let anyone pass out through the quarter. Some of the police officers were not wearing ID tags (which is required), and actually had to put it on when asked by journalists. I would actually say they only ordered to turn up to antagonise the protesters.
I was in Liverpool (Slater Street) when the police went ballistic and they were just striking out at people walking about. I hate this side of the police.

"C20 LET bang"
Shambo Offline OP
Wise One
OP Offline
Wise One
Met suspends G20 footage officer, (another one).

A Metropolitan Police officer shown in YouTube video footage apparently hitting a woman during the G20 summit protests in London has been suspended.

The footage shows the woman swearing at a police officer who then appears to hit her in the face before apparently striking her on the leg with his baton.

"The officer has been identified and suspended pending further investigation. The officer works as a sergeant in the territorial support group," he added.

Earlier Scotland Yard had said the apparent actions of the officer featured in the new footage raised "immediate concerns".

"Every officer is accountable under law, and fully aware of the scrutiny that their actions can be held open to," police said.

full story and video

P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
I have always respected the police. I was brought up that way. Sadly, over the last few years that respect has been nibbled away. The two incidents of members of the public being attacked by uniformed bags of dog's vomit is just indicative of what has been coming to the fore for a while.

It won't be too far in the future when the average law-biding Joe Bloggs and his pissed-off neighbours and friends say enough is enough and turn on the uniformed numpties who walk around the place looking like an Ironmongers shop on a bad day.

No one is taking the bad apples out of the barrel. The results are becoming obvious.

Surely, with today's excellent investigative journalism, it wouldn't be too hard for the names and addresses of the uniformed scrotes to be found and published. Then they might regret the folly of their actions - and be a warning to others.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
This is ridiculus, give them a batton and some riot gear and they think they can fight the world, i've never been a fan of police in all honesty but it just shows how much power they think they have over everyone, if they just used that power in the right way maybe people would actually show them some respect. As Pinzgauer said, they arent taking out the bad apples, and they are very quickly becoming more and more.

Thing about lies is... you will finally get caught out, remember that smile
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Ok so a few policemen get out of hand and they will be dealt with within the law. So why is it in all these so called peaceful protests do we have a large element of the great unwashed hooded idiots with balaclavas and masks who's sole aim is to disrupt and cause trouble and the police are not allowed to hand out what they receive. There's nothing wrong with peaceful protest whenever are they peaceful, if the organisers of these protest marches can't keep the peace then it has to be the responsibility of police to protect the public and their property and they should be applauded for the work the majority of them do. People in this country should be glad its only battened police they face and not machine guns.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,
This is no place for children.

Bertieone.
P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Agreed bert. Yes, peaceful protest can get hijacked by the hooded scumbags. They should just be taken out of society FULLSTOP ! Half the problem appears to be that the police don't seem to be able to tell the difference (or can't be arsed to differentiate) between bona fide, peaceful protesters and the Rentamob dross.

Police can (and have to) tolerate verbal abuse on a daily basis. The way they react is the questionable bit. Having to cope with the idiot full of piss and wind on a Saturday night after chucking out time is something few of us would relish. BUT it's their job and it's what they are trained for.

For some uniformed hoody (Check that video again) to kill an innocent guy who CLEARLY wasn't part of the trouble is unacceptable in anyone's book.

The same goes for that gloved, spineless gorilla who hit that woman in the face, then whacked her HARD with his coward stick.

Years of inaction against the hooded slime that contaminate our streets at the weekends etc. have bred a confrontational, anti-authority underclass of testtube rejects that are hell-bent on causing trouble. THEN, in my little black book, it says the police SHOULD beat THEM to a pulp. NOT folk who are making a peaceful, allbeit vocally "iffy" protest.

This whole sketch makes me very angry. Let's build a few camps somewhere were the uniformed vomit bags and uniformed gorillas are thrown in with the testtube hoodies. That should provide some entertainment !!

No apologies this time for the rant.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
As much controversy as this will cause, I can see how it has happened, and although maybe I dont agree with the level of force involved, I have no symapthy for the protester.

Regardless of who, what, where, they had been ordered to get back - that is what they should have done.

I see their sole objective in that clip to be to antagonise the police, and that was not the time or the place. Had she taken the first warning and backed off, it wouldnt have happened. The Police cant been seen to change their minds otherwise order would very soon be lost, and the disruption would have been much worse.

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
I don't think its controversial at all, your quite right why does she have to keep having a go, She was aggressive and looked out of control, when do you want the policeman to act after he's been stabbed or hit on the head with a brick. The trouble is half of these protesters haven't got a clue what the protest is about, they only go to cause trouble, nothing else.

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,

Bertieone.
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by Shambo
Dramatic footage obtained by the Guardian shows that the man who died at last week's G20 protests in London was attacked from behind and thrown to the ground by a baton–wielding police officer in riot gear.

Moments after the assault on Ian Tomlinson was captured on video, he suffered a heart attack and died.

The Guardian is preparing to hand a dossier of evidence to the police complaints watchdog.

It sheds new light on the events surrounding the death of the 47-year-old newspaper seller, who had been on his way home from work when he was confronted by lines of riot police near the Bank of England.

The film reveals that as he walks, with his hands in his pockets, he does not speak to the police or offer any resistance.

A phalanx of officers, some with dogs and some in riot gear, are close behind him and try to urge him forward.

A Metropolitan police officer appears to strike him with a baton, hitting him from behind on his upper thigh.

Moments later, the same policeman rushes forward and, using both hands, pushes Tomlinson in the back and sends him flying to the ground, where he remonstrates with police who stand back, leaving bystanders to help him to his feet.

The man who shot the footage, a fund manager from New York who was in London on business, said: "The primary reason for me coming forward is that it was clear the family were not getting any answers."

full story & video

Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
For some uniformed hoody (Check that video again) to kill an innocent guy who CLEARLY wasn't part of the trouble is unacceptable in anyone's book.

Amateur video footage captured by a New York fund manager emerged several days later of him being pushed to the ground by a policeman.

Other photographs have also come to light of Mr Tomlinson apparently remonstrating with officers in a riot van in Lombard Street up to an hour earlier.

full article

Although this does not vindicate the officer, it does show that the male concerned was not quite as "peaceful" as the initial video would suggest. Thankfully, the whole of that area is covered by CCTV and so the truth will out.

As for the officer "killing" him, basic law at the moment states, in layman's terms:

Murder is causing the unlawful death of another with intent to kill or cause serious bodily harm. Malice aforethought is an old term now replaced by the intent.

Transferred malice occurs where you intend to kill A and actually kill B, e.g. if you aim a gun at A and miss. This is murder - you do not have to intend to murder the same person you actually kill. And you can have a 'general' intent, for example if you plant a bomb in a shopping centre.

All crimes are analysed legally by splitting them into the actus reus and the mens rea. Both elements must be proved for the defendant to be guilty. Actus reus is physical, i.e. causing the death of the victim. The mens rea is the 'guilty mind', i.e. the intention to kill or cause serious harm.

The other way to look at it is "acting in a manner so negligent that the death of another is likely to be caused". For this to be the case the death has to be a 'virtual certainty' of the defendant's conduct. If it is merely likely, then this is manslaughter. The only thing they may apply if the Officer is charged is something called the "thin skull rule".

The 'thin skull' rule says that the defendant must take his victim as he finds him. Therefore, even if injury or death is not reasonably foreseeable the law still considers the defendant liable if the victim suffered from some physical or mental condition that made him or her vulnerable. I could go further into the other rules that would apply (the "but for test" etc) but it tends to get rather complicated.

From a legal standpoint, I doubt the Officer will be charged with Murder or Manslaughter, mainly because of the fact that he actually died from natural causes. Yes, it looks like the Police Officer concerned may have acted in an unprofessional manner on this occasion - but murder it is not. They have a split second or two to gauge the situation, get it wrong, they get injured or die, get it wrong the other way and someone else gets injured or dies. Chances are, it was his his time to go and he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Maybe, had he not remonstrated with Police an hour earlier, he wouldn't have been in such a state in the first place - we'll probably never know.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Well done Jaci

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,

Bertieone.
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Bert - after that I need a lie down raftl Bloody good revision though happy

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by PaganJay
Bert - after that I need a lie down raftl Bloody good revision though happy

Now, if i was a bit younger raftl

God help us,
Come yourself,
Don't send Jesus,

Bertieone.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am