WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,899 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
LIVERPOOL’S media community was in shock last night after veteran broadcaster Phil Easton died suddenly of a massive heart attack.

[Linked Image]

It happened just hours after he presented yesterday morning’s breakfast show on City Talk.

Station chiefs said they were “absolutely devastated” by the news.

Phil Easton had worked in radio for more than 30 years and was one of the first to join the original Radio City station when it was set up in 1975.

His show, The Great Easton Express, which he presented for 12 years, was one of the longest running on commercial radio.

After a spell as programme controller for a group of southern radio stations, he returned to Liverpool and the Radio City group and has remained with them ever since.

He hosted Magic 1548’s breakfast show for over a decade, before becoming co-presenter of the breakfast show with Kim Hughes when City Talk launched a year ago.

Mr Easton, who lived in Crosby, leaves behind a widow, Fran, two sons, Dan and Ben, and daughter Zoe.

Richard Maddock, station director for Radio City, Magic and City Talk said: “We are deeply saddened to hear this tragic news.

“Phil was an astounding broadcaster and friend to everyone here at Radio City, Magic and City Talk. Our thoughts are with his family at this terrible time.”

Terry Smith, chairman and founder of Radio City, said: “Phil was brilliant in his show this morning.

“He had not shown any signs of illness, and then the next thing we heard was that he’d had a heart attack and died.

“He was planning to retire in about nine months to live in Spain, where he’d built a property.”

As well as his radio work, Mr Easton was well-known for his involvement with Liverpool FC, as the club’s PA and stadium announcer at Anfield.

Les Lawson, secretary of the Merseyside branch of the Official Liverpool Supporters’ Club, last night said he was “gutted” by the news.

He added: “A nicer man you could never wish to meet.

“He was part of the Anfield family.”

THE DALIY POST

Google Ads
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
TRIBUTES poured in for suddenly radio broadcaster Phil Easton who died last night.

[Linked Image]

The veteran presenter, 59, suffered a heart attack shortly after presenting his breakfast show on Liverpool’s CityTalk radio station.

He left the studio at the top of St John’s Beacon at around 9am yesterday and returned to his home in Crosby.

It is thought he suffered the heart attack in the early afternoon.

Today, well-known figures from the broadcasting industry spoke of his impact on Merseyside's radio scene.

Mr Easton had many friends in the celebrity world, including singer Chris de Burgh and talk show presenter Jeremy Kyle, who phoned Radio City DJ Pete Price last night and was said to be "distraught".

Radio Merseyside presenter Roger Phillips said Mr Easton recently revealed his intention to retire within two years and move to Spain with his family.

He told the ECHO: “He was principally a music presenter and going on to CityTalk was great for him because it expanded what he did.

“It seems so unfair because he was a fit guy and was bonkers about his football. I knew him socially and he was the tops.”

Mr Easton worked with Radio City for more than 30 years and was one of the first presenters to join the station when it launched in 1975.

He was also the first broadcaster to be heard on City Talk 105.9 when Liverpool's all-talk station was launched on January 28 last year.

The presenter, who hosted the popular breakfast show with Kim Hughes, recently interviewed prime minister Gordon Brown during his visit to Liverpool.

Mr Price said he heard the news at around teatime yesterday and struggled to complete his show between 10pm-2am.

He told the ECHO: “The hardest thing was doing my show and not saying a word. At the end, I asked my producer if I could play a pre-recorded show because all his family had yet to find out.

“I remember when we first co-presented the breakfast show on Magic FM, he turned to me and said: 'Well, Mr Price. This is going to be interesting.'

“He was without doubt one of the nicest men you could meet in the industry. He was a magical man and his death is so unexpected.”

Mr Easton's pioneering show The Great Easton Express ran for 12 years and won him a legion of loyal fans.

He worked for a number of southern radio stations before returning to Liverpool and fronting the Magic FM breakfast show.

Phil lived in Crosby and leaves his wife Fran, two sons, Dan and Ben, and a daughter, Zoe.

Richard Maddock, station director for Radio City, Magic and City Talk, said: “We are deeply saddened to hear this tragic news.

“Phil was an astounding broadcaster and friend to everyone here at Radio City, Magic and City Talk. Our thoughts are with his family at this terrible time.”

Mr Easton was well-known for his involvement at Anfield, where he was the matchday announcer for Liverpool FC, and his voice was instantly recognisable to thousands of Reds fans.

Today, the club said it would discuss ways to potentially marking his death in the near future.

Spokesman Ian Cotton said: “All of us at the club are shocked and deeply saddened.

“Phil was at the Chelsea game the night before when we were all talking to him.

“He was an intelligent and humorous man who was always great company. He will be sadly missed.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time. Phil was part of the matchday routine at Anfield and he was well respected.

“When I was rung and told about his death last night, I just couldn’t believe it.”

THE DAILY POST

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I never met him but in many ways he was part of my life - simply because he was always "there" early morning in recent years. I loved his style, his obvious concern for people and willingness to try anything. My condolances to his family and to all those who worked with him.

Snod

5 Precepts of Buddhism seem appropriate. Refrain from taking life. Refrain from taking that which is not given. Refrain from misconduct. Refrain from lying. Refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness
Wise One
Wise One
used to listen to him when i was teen,he used to play all the heavy rock and heavy metal which i loved,maybe that was the express program that was mentioned but i dont remember.shame

Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Very sad!

[Linked Image] Please do not adjust your mind, there is a slight problem with reality
Omigod death of a legend, so sad. We used to listen to his shows at work - before the authorities got all arsey about performing rights licenses and all that crap anyway. RIP big fella frown

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am