Supercharged XFR tops XJ220's long-standing record

Jaguar announced yesterday that the new XFR had become its fastest car ever at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah – and now we have the video. The car – powered by the all-new AJ-V8 Gen III engine – hit 225.675mph, beating Jaguar's previous speed record of 217.1mph (349.4 km/h) set in the XJ220 in 1992.

Paul Gentilozzi – the owner of Rocketsports Racing who successfully led the Jaguar XKR to five series victories between 2001 and 2006 in the Trans Am series in the USA – drove the 600bhp car on the record-breaking run.

The footage, with its Oasis soundtrack, is not the last word in informative documentary making, but who cares – the car looks cool.

Running with minor aerodynamic and safety modifications to meet the requirements for a Bonneville run, the 225mph top speed was achieved with additional horsepower liberated by a remapped ECU, a modified air intake and exhaust system and revised supercharger settings.

No internal engine components were changed and the six-speed automatic transmission was standard, including the gear ratios.

Gentilozzi said of the run last November: ‘During my career, I've raced worldwide from the southern tip of New Zealand to Le Mans. Along the way, I have been privileged to drive and own so many exciting cars but I've never driven one that was as exciting to drive fast as this Jaguar.’

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?