The original inn of that name [Red Cat] stood in the village of Brimstage until it was demolished to make room for the village hall erected in 1932 by Lord Leverhulme. The village is overlooked by Brimstage Hall and its chantry chapel. One of the corbels of the chapel shows a "cat" carved in the red sandstone. The family of Lady Margery de Hulse, who built the chapel in the 14th century, was a branch of the Barons of Montalt, whose coat of arms was a red lion rampant. It is thought that the mason who worked on the chapel had never seen a lion, and, on being informed that it was a member of the cat family, he carved a cat's head with a snarl, or, as it appears, a "grinning Cheshire cat!"
Extract from "The Story of Greasby" by John Williams, 1978
...and those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.FN