WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 8,070 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
A 17-year-old boy has been charged with the murder of 11-year-old Liverpool schoolboy Rhys Jones who was shot as he walked home from playing football.

Gary Kayes, 25, and Melvyn Coy, 24, both of Croxteth, and three youths, aged 15, 16 and 17, are charged with assisting an offender.

The 16-year-old has also been charged with possessing a firearm. They will appear before magistrates on Thursday.

Rhys was killed by a gunman on a bicycle in Croxteth Park in August.

Those charged will appear before Liverpool Magistrates' Court.

A total of 13 people were arrested on Tuesday and Wednesday in connection with the youngster's death.

Three people aged 54, 50 and 49, and a 16-year-old youth have been released on bail pending further inquiries. A 22-year-old man was also bailed on Tuesday night.

I hope they got the right little shit and they lock him up and throw away the key!!

BBC News Report

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
yeah, just read it on the telegraph website.
bring back the death penalty mad

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
bet he gets a new life and protected jail time etc etc, jamie buldger springs to mind

Uncertainty or not knowing causes depression, Im happy because I know I'm going to die one day!
chiccy of the chiccyness
Forum Master
chiccy of the chiccyness
Forum Master
i actually dont know what to say! i have loads to say but wont make sence IYSMIM! grr little barstard!!!!

Find me on facebook as: Gail Jones

Find me on msn as : ibizachic[at]hotmail.com

♥`*•.¸♥¸.•* ♥¸.•*chiccy* ♥`*•.¸♥¸.•* ♥
Forum Master
Forum Master
IYSWIM*** ??? lol

send him to china, sure they'll find a use for him lol

chiccy of the chiccyness
Forum Master
chiccy of the chiccyness
Forum Master
withthat speep deprived forgive me sorry

Find me on facebook as: Gail Jones

Find me on msn as : ibizachic[at]hotmail.com

♥`*•.¸♥¸.•* ♥¸.•*chiccy* ♥`*•.¸♥¸.•* ♥
Forum Master
Forum Master
sleep too? tease lol

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
IYSWIM = If you see what I mean.

The Jury have just returned a Guilty verdict on Sean Mercer - he will be sentenced this afternoon clap

RIP Rhys - I hope his family can now start to rebuild their life, although how you would is beyond me.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Just heard that too - Life will just be too good the the little fook!!!

What If There Were No Hypothetical Questions?
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
RESULT.....hope he gets used to playing mummies and daddies inside..they got some fresh meat coming their way!

Mustang
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
raftl

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
P
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
Pinzgauer
Unregistered
P
Sorry folks. I've said it before and I'll say it AGAIN and AGAIN.
Medical experiments on the little sh*ts AND stop subjecting innocent animals to a (short)life (and death) of misery !

The "parents" (a very loose term) of these ... bags need a "knock on the door".

Very non-PC ??? You bet!

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Wasn't his mother charged with perverting the course of justice as she gave him an alibi?

Last edited by Softy_Southerner; 16th Dec 2008 6:16pm.
_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_

Mr Justice Irwin's comments before sentencing the defendants

Rhys Jones died at your hands. His death was a tragedy for him and for his family, a waste of a promising, young life. His parents' dignity throughout this process has been deeply impressive to any of us who have seen it. The way they have behaved has been a standing reproach to those in the dock, and particularly to you Mercer, who killed their son. But it is clear that their composure conceals searing emotions, which we can guess at, but which those of us who have not lost a child can hardly fully understand. The impact upon them and upon Rhys's brother is enormous.

There is only one sentence for murder, in your case detention for life, in formal language detention at Her Majesty's pleasure, and that is the sentence I shall pass upon you.

It is necessary for me to set a minimum period to be served, before you can be eligible for release on licence. As I think has now become well known, this period is not the period you will serve. It is the minimum period you will serve, before you may even be considered for release. The decision whether you may ever be released will be taken many years from now and will reflect whether you are then thought to represent a risk to the public.

If you had committed this crime at the age of 18, the age you are today, the starting point set by statute for this minimum period would be 30 years. As it is, because you were just short of your 17th birthday at the time of the offence, the starting point is 12 years. It is to be emphasised that those starting points are no more than that. The period I set can and will vary widely from that starting point, reflecting what you have done and what I judge to have been your role, your approach, to what happened.

This offence arose from the stupid, brutal gang conflict which has struck this part of Liverpool. You were caught up in that from a young age, but it is clear you gloried in it. It is wrong to let anyone glorify or romanticise this kind of gang conflict. You are not soldiers. You have no discipline, no training, no honour.

You do not command respect. You may think you do, but that is because you cannot tell the difference between respect and fear. You are selfish, shallow criminals, remarkable only by the danger you pose to others.

ou were told that Brady and the others from Norris Green had been seen on the Croxteth Park estate, and you took that as an invasion of your territory, as if you had the right to territory, or to occupation of it. Or it may be you saw this as an opportunity. And so you armed yourself and set off. The CCTV evidence shows you hunting for your intended victims, first behind the Fir Tree public house, and then coming back round the end of the pub, when you saw Davies and McCabe circling far off, on their bicycles.

Then your aggression became alloyed with cowardice. You stopped by that wall, and fired at your intended victims from 70 yards across a pub car park, with bystanders all round, and with cars moving across the car park in the moments before you fired.

Your first shot nearly struck your intended victims, hitting a metal container about a foot from one of them. They fled as fast as they could. You tracked them, and fired twice more, arms extended, aiming shots with murderous intent, as the jury have rightly found. Your second shot cut down Rhys Jones. He died because of your brutality and because you are a coward.

You gave no evidence in your trial. In my view it is absolutely clear that you had no answer to the case against you. You proved you were a coward again. You did not admit what you had done, and the witnesses and Rhys Jones's family had to go through a two-month trial. You cannot be punished more for that, but you have of course lost any of the mitigation you might have had, if you had admitted what you did. Instead you engaged in a conscious effort to destroy the evidence which might lead to your detection, an effort which sucked in your co-defendants.

You have a previous conviction for possessing a prohibited weapon earlier in 2007, but I do not hold that as a significant separate factor in sentencing you, since I have little doubt it arose from your gang involvement, which I certainly do take into account as aggravating this offence.

This killing involved the use of a firearm; involved a degree of planning, both in order to be ready for the continuing conflict by having firearms quickly available to you, and over a short time in relation to the incident itself. It is aggravated by the danger your actions represented to the public – you turned this ordinary car park into a dangerous place, something which produces huge public dismay.

I am quite satisfied that you intended to kill one or both of the two young men from Norris Green, if you could do it without getting too close to them and putting yourself at any risk. You shot at them, intending to hit them with a large calibre bullet. You then set about a systematic attempt to avoid being arrested, destroying evidence and pressurising witnesses.

Although you are not separately charged with such offences, the verdicts in relation to your co-defendants and the probe evidence make clear that was what you were doing.

It is also true that your victim was young, and could be considered vulnerable, although anyone walking across that car park would have been vulnerable to what you did. Those are all aggravating features of this offence. So is the gang element to it, which means that this sentence must have a deterrent element.

There is one other factor which I bear in mind. This offence took place within a day of the first anniversary of another killing, a killing by other members of the Croxteth gang, of a young man from Norris Green. Liam Smith died on Wednesday 23 August 2006, shot down when ambushed outside Altcourse prison. Rhys Jones died as the trial for that murder approached its close. I have no doubt you were well aware of all that. The fact that another young man had been killed a year before did not make you hold back. It may even have encouraged you.

Apart from your age, which I have already mentioned and which I do take into account, there are no mitigating factors here. Your age determines the starting point and has thus been strongly reflected already in the sentencing process I have gone through.

I accept that you were not mature, although it appears to me it was your personality not your immaturity which was the key in this story. In relation to your age and your personality, it is relevant to mention that despite being only 16, you clearly took the lead in the events of that day.

Rhys Jones's life is gone. We do not take a life for a life, although even if you are released, you will be under licence and supervised for as long as you live, liable to immediate recall to prison if you do anything wrong. However, the proper punishment here will have the effect that you will not emerge from prison, even at the earliest, for a very long time. You are 18 now. Then you will be at least on the verge of being a middle-aged man.

The minimum period to be served here is one of 22 years. You have served 243 days on remand, and that period falls to be deducted from the minimum period to be served.

Accordingly, the punishment for this crime is that you serve detention for life. You must serve a minimum period from today of 21 years, 122 days before you can be considered for release on licence.

Take him down.

Last edited by _jase_; 16th Dec 2008 6:39pm.
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
pity it wasnt " and you shall be hung by the neck until dead"......but then what would that serve...let him loose in the prison...for everyone to know what he has done..and deal with him accordingly...

Mustang
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am