WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,361
Posts1,033,316
Members14,578
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
5 members (2 invisible), 10,026 guests, and 420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
PaulRobson, meolswanderer, Firminafirm, YesterYearGenea, Luke121
14,578 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 6:55pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
Topic Replies
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by diggingdeeper - 14th Apr 2024 2:42pm
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 13th Apr 2024 3:35pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 10th Apr 2024 11:00pm
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Abakumss - 8th Apr 2024 9:04am
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
casper 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Addict
Addict
Anyone else notice that all the proposed "new" places are in pay and display areas?

Now if I was a cynic.......................

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by AR_One
"thats what the problem is.......people all over wirral are shoutin, screamin and stampin feet cos the libraries are closin but how many actually get off their arses and go the library, i dont thats why i aint bothered, yes i read books (mainly footballers autobiographys if anyones interested) but i aint been near a library since i left school 10 years ago, so if more of these people who are moanin went they wouldn't be closing!!!!! "

I used to be like that until I started going again about a year back cos I had no money and still wanted to read - the books are relatively up to date (and free!), you can renew them online, they have free newspapers and magazines and lots of other usefull stuff like classes and mother and baby groups.

What are people supposed to do on Beechwood now - oh yeah they'll be kept busy for a few weeks smashing up the empty building......

I use the library, mainly Beechwood or Moreton. I don't use it all the time, but I quite often wander in and come out with a few books of interest to me (usually things like Wirral history, but did anyone know they actually do Haines manuals too).

Im not going to shout and stamp my feet, because Moreton being safe means it does not affect me much, but its still wrong, there is a lot of older people I know (45+) who use the libraries on a regular basis.

Old Hand
Old Hand
It pisses me off because there is no money in the council cos its all going on the council fat cats final salary pensions !

* spits *

How about putting some of your 40k a year into a fund since your acting in the interest of Wirral ??? idiots

Over 5000 years of Wirral History:
Are you SoNutz?
Forum Master
Are you SoNutz?
Forum Master
Is there a way to not Pay Council tax? Cause i would certainly put 2 fingers up to it. Why should i pay it when all it goes on is crap.. £92 a month it is for me and it enrages me..

Lee Mills

Addict
Addict
Well according to this...

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/3935198.EXCLUSIVE___MP_s_letter_slams_library_closure_plan/

It looks like the council are in trouble with the local MPs..

Maybe the huge public outcry and protest has done some good...

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by SoundLad
Is there a way to not Pay Council tax? Cause i would certainly put 2 fingers up to it. Why should i pay it when all it goes on is crap.. £92 a month it is for me and it enrages me..

Its paying for the repairs after all the bag eds have wrecked the houses and been moved into another newly done up house as their old one was no longer livable.

Don't pay it, they will take you to court though. I have seen on TV pensioners who havent paid it and been sent to prison etc. If enough people didnt pay, what the fook would they do, turn hundreds, maybe thousands of law abiding people into criminals serving prison sentences.

I think council tax, like anything we pay in life, should be a value for money service. The council go ahead and do things with our money that people very rarely ever want, and never do the simplest things that people and communities need.

If I went and paid £150 for repairs to my car, and was ripped off, then I would have trading standards etc, all backing me up, but who is there to back the average consumer up when the councils rip us off.

Labour certainly arnt going to do anything, unless the shit is on their doorstep.

_
_jase_
Unregistered
_jase_
Unregistered
_
Library closures give council leader "sleepless nights

THE leader of Wirral Council says proposals to close twelve libraries and three sports centres on the borough have given him sleepless nights.

Labour's Steve Foulkes made the confession at a rowdy meeting of Wirral Council's cabinet last night (November 27) - prompting scornful laughter from angry audience members.

The heated meeting saw more than 100 members of the public pack into Wallasey Town Hall to see councillors decide the way forward for the controversial strategic asset review, which would see buildings like Birkenhead Central Library and Guinea Gap Baths close and arts events moved from Pacific Road Arts Centre to the Floral Pavilion.

Liberal Democrat leader Simon Holbrook spoke in support of the review but his comments about the "extremely high quality" redevelopment of Bebington Oval - which re-opens on Saturday after being closed for more than a year - prompted more loud laughter and jeers.

Unison members protested outside Wallasey Town Hall before the meeting, with one sign reading: 'Wirral Council's contribution to the National Year of Reading? Close the libraries'.

Cabinet members agreed to convene a special area forum conference "as soon as possible" for public debate and referred the matter to a special scrutiny committee.

After six weeks of public and staff consultation, councillors will make a decision on the proposals at another cabinet meeting on January 15.

Councillor Foulkes said he was prepared to talk to private sector groups with ideas for the future of some of the closure-threatened buildings - and revealed he had already been approached about the Birkenhead Central Library building on Borough Road.

He said: "There will be less assets at the end of this, that's something that's glaringly obvious and has been for some time. It's not something we take lightly.

"I've had so many sleepless nights over this report but I genuinely believe that we have to grasp the mettle on this. We need to work with staff and I think they will enjoy the end result, working in better appreciated, more used facilities.

"There will be anxiety because people have an attachment to buildings and they have an attachment to staff who work in those buildings.

"But the footfall that goes through some of the facilities is extremely low and I think it's difficult to justify them.

"You can bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away but I don't think this situation is one where we can do nothing."

The council currently faces a £10m backlog of repairs to its buildings – stock which was largely inherited in 1974 from five district councils which previously governed Wirral, each of which brought their own property portfolio.

Councillors say the authority must also tackle rising energy costs and a massive budget deficit, predicted to be £16.6m within a year and £12.7m in two years.

Cllr Foulkes said he would listen to any community group or private sector partner who could come up with other ideas for the buildings threatened with closure.

He added: "If the consultation comes back and people say that they don't want a central library anywhere but where Birkenhead Central Library is now then we will listen to that.

"But I think we need to talk again with private and public sector partners about the use of that building for something more suitable."

The council wants to invest £20m in creating "multi-purpose complexes" across the borough providing community, council and library services in partnership with other agencies like Wirral PCT.

Conservatives called the meeting a "sham".

Wirral Conservative leader Cllr Jeff Green, who was refused permission to address cabinet members on the proposals, said: "If Wirral doesn't do leisure, libraries and sports centres, what is the council there for?

"I thought that was a sham of a meeting. If this is the way this so-called consultation is going to run it's quite clear it's a done deal.

"This is an appalling day for Wirral Council."

Liscard Cllr Leah Fraser said the meeting would confirm the worst fears of community organisations across Wirral and criticised plans to hold the consultation over the busy Christmas and New Year period.

Comment in forum, at http://forums.wirralnews.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=57547

Addict
Addict
EXCLUSIVE - MP's letter slams library closure plan
3:30pm Friday 28th November 2008

Comments (2) Have your say »

By Justin Dunn »

THE PROPOSED closure of libraries and leisure centres across Wirral has been slammed as the “wholesale slaughter” of vital public services by Wirral West MP Stephen Hesford.

In a stinging letter of rebuke sent to Wirral Council leader Steve Foulkes, Mr Hesford claims that an exercise to improve the use of council land and assets has instead become “little short of an act of corporate vandalism”.

The letter, obtained by the Globe, was sent in advance of a crisis meeting to be held this evening between Wirral’s four Labour MPs and Cllr Foulkes and senior council officers.

Of the closure plans, Mr Hesford writes: “It is impossible to see which of Wirral’s people benefits.”

He is being joined for the 4pm showdown today by fellow MPs Ben Chapman of Wirral South, Frank Field of Birkenhead, and Angela Eagle of Wallasey.

Mr Hesford demanded the face to face talks after it was revealed on the Globe website on Tuesday that the council was planning to close 14 libraries, three leisure centres and the Pacific Road arts venue as part of a highly controversial strategic asset review.

The closures are just part of a plan that would also see community centres and village halls across Wirral stripped of their council staff and funding from as early as March next year.

A stormy meeting of the council’s ruling “cabinet” committee on Thursday, also attended by over 100 protestors, voted to put the plans out to consultation until January 15, when a final decision on the suggested closures will be made.

If the plans are rubber-stamped in the new year, as likely, it would mean the permanent closure of Guinea Gap Pool and Recreation Centre in Seacombe, Grange Road West Sports Centre and Woodchurch Leisure Centre.

Both Birkenhead and Wallasey Central Libaries also face being closed, but will be rehoused in new multi-purpose complexes to be built in their respective towns.

However, community libraries in Hoylake, Pensby, Upton, Irby, Bromborough, Higher Bebington, New Ferry, Seacombe, Wallasey Village, Prenton, Ridgeway and Beechwood all face the axe.

The council claims the drastic measures would save the local authority £3.7m a year in maintenance and staffing costs.

Instead, it plans to invest £20m building or refurbishing eleven mult-purpose centres around the peninsula offering services such as One Stop Shops and healthcare.

In his letter to Cllr Foulkes, a clearly irate Mr Hesford declares: “What appears to be proposed is little short of an act of corporate vandalism.

“I have now had an opportunity to read all the relevant papers, including the report which went to cabinet dated July 9, 2008. It is clear that what set out to be an exercise to ‘improve the use of the council’s land and assets … for the benefit of the people of Wirral’ has become a wholesale slaughter of services. It is impossible to see which of Wirral’s people benefits.”

He adds: “The original report claimed that it set out to ‘improve services’ by matching and disposing of ‘under used and obsolete properties’. Moreover, the report claimed to have ‘no financial complication’; ‘no direct staffing implications’; ‘no direct anti poverty implications’ and ‘no direct Social Inclusion implications’.

“How can the stripping out of libraries and sports centres, particularly from places like Woodchurch, not have any of the implications listed above?

“This whole process has become misconceived and two quite separate considerations have been conflated, namely, the provision of services and the management of buildings.

“In view of this, I will be asking the meeting to seriously reconsider the whole process, and in the future if any asset review is to go ahead, all parties, including MPs, will be involved from an early stage.”

Mr Hesford was unavailable for comment.

Forum Master
Forum Master
sounds like a load of crap to me

this is happening down here in the port too

if i remember correctly the main EPIC leisure centre was earmarked for closure earlier in the year, but its still trading..... but for how long

all because we have David Lloyds further up the road who have stupidly high prices

Addict
Addict
For those of you who are interested there is a group called 'Save Wirral Services'
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=36938458013&ref=mf

The group owner is organising a demonstration on the 15th January for those who feel strongly.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
cant see earlston libary closing down, no way.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Putin khuilo
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Is everyone aware of www.faxyourmp.com? If you put in your post code you see all your MPs - write your message there and they all receive it.

They are under legal obligation to respond within a short space of time.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Addict
Addict
Save Wirral's Services Protest
10th December 2008 - Leisure and Tourism Overview and Scrutiny Committee
Event InfoHost:
Save Wirral's Services
Type:
Causes - Protest
Network:
Global
Time and PlaceDate:
10 December 2008
Time:
17:30 - 20:30
Street:
Brighton Street
Town/City:
Wallasey, United Kingdom

View Map
Google
MapQuest
Microsoft
Yahoo
Description
In conjunction with Unison, and every other concerned party/individual, we are organising a mass protest at this special meeting of the Scrutiny Committee. Details about the meeting, as released to the press, below.

COUNCILLOR JOHN HALE, CHAIRMAN OF THE CULTURE, LEISURE AND TOURISM OVERVIEW AND SCRUTINY COMMITTEE HAS CALLED A SPECIAL MEETING OF THE COMMITTEE TO CONSIDER THE CABINET’S PROPOSALS TO CLOSE LIBRARIES, LEISURE CENTRES AND TO TRANSFER COMMUNITY CENTRES WITHOUT ANY GUARANTEES OF FINANCIAL SUPPORT.
THE MEETING WILL BE HELD ON WEDNESDAY, 10 DECEMBER AT 6.15 PM AT WALLASEY TOWN HALL. COUNCILLOR HALE INVITES MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC OR ORGANISATIONS AFFECTED BY THE PROPOSED CLOSURES TO CONTACT THE CONSERVATIVE GROUP OFFICE AT THE TOWN HALL ON 0151 691 8550 BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 9AM-5PM SHOULD THEY WISH TO SPEAK OR GIVE EVIDENCE AT THE MEETING.

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Special Area Forum Conference for Birkenhead, Tranmere, Rock Ferry, Bidston, Claughton, Oxton and Prenton - this will be held at the Lauries Centre on 5 January 2009 at 7:00 pm.

Special Area Forum Conference for Heswall, Pensby, Thingwall, Bebington, Clatterbridge, Bromborough and Eastham - this will be held at Hulme Hall on 6 January 2009 at 7:00 pm.

Special Area Forum Conference for West Wirral (Hoylake and Meols, West Kirby and Thurstaston), Greasby, Frankby, Irby, Upton and Woodchurch – this will be held at West Kirby Concourse on 7 January 2009 at 7:00 pm.

Special Area Forum Conference for Leasowe, Moreton and Saughall Massie, New Brighton, Wallasey, Liscard and Seacombe – this will be held at the Floral Pavilion on 8 January 2009 at 7:00 pm.

Please feel free to contact the Council, your Councillors and MP with any queries you have, they are there to serve YOU!

H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Subject:
05-09-2006 :
Peel unveil plans for £4.5 billion "Wirral Waters" scheme .
What about The Pacific Road Theatre ?

Date: 3 December 2008 12:52:43 GMT

To: [email protected]

For the Attention of : A Tennant .

I don't think that this is in the interests of Peel from a PR viewpoint and I think you as a Corporation need to be made aware, as if ... you need to be , which I doubt , of the fact the lunatics are running the asylum that is the MB of Wirral Council .

This venue should be central to the vision of Wirral Waters ..it is a listed building of limited use for any purpose other than the one it has now. As is true of many of the other proposed closures !

Encs. is the link to just one of the protest sites.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=40793707133&ref=mf

The content below is the main info page.

The site has added 500 members in 3 days since launched and is growing exponentially .

The Arts community both on the Wirral & in Liverpool is starting to get motivated .

It's all over the Local papers and Radio ...as you will be aware.

The Artists who have appeared since the announcement are bemused, angry and prepared to back us.

What has surprised me is the proportion of youngsters, about 75% of the membership ,are around 6th form age and furious. And may become politcalised as a result of this; They are the generation Peel are ( speculating ) hoping, expecting and banking on, to become the future employers, employees & residents of Wirral Waters ??

In light of the Peel Corporate's statement on the Brochure that "Peel are at the heart of the community" I would ask John Whittaker or Robert Hough and Mike Butterworth to either get involved or issue a statement refuting and allaying the suspicions that a deal has already been done by Peel & the MB of W, with regards to the Pacific Road site and its future use's.

Which if Peel do respond ...I undertake to publish in full on the site without alteration.

Sincerely
Tim Tapling

facebook group: 'Save Pacific Road': admin & creator .

It will be interesting to see if they do respond to this email. The curse of Peel Holdings strikes again raftl

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
Hi to everyone
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 8:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 3:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
Wirral waters
by casper - 2nd Apr 2024 11:32am
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 11:52am
News : New Topics
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Car paint jobs
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 9:04am
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,248 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,369 Spotted!