Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,280
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
12 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 7,899 guests, and 667 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 21st Mar 2024 9:27am
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jason24v6
Unregistered
jason24v6
Unregistered
J
THE government has offered to broker talks between Liverpool FC and Everton FC about building a shared stadium.

Sport secretary Andy Burnham MP, a lifelong Evertonian, made the pledge to mediate discussions while visiting young footballers in the city yesterday.

He spoke out after Liverpool’s announcement of a significant delay in its stadium plans for Stanley Park and the decision to hold a time-consuming public inquiry into Everton’s relocation to Kirkby.

Both Liverpool and Everton say a shared stadium is not on their agenda.

Mr Burnham said: “Obviously the situation has changed for both clubs, but it is for them to decide what represents the best way forward.

“Whatever they decide, the Department for Culture, Media and Sport would be available to help facilitate discussions and help the clubs explore the various routes.

“Obviously it is a continually moving situation and it is not right for me to express my preference either way.”

The Leigh MP, who is originally from Newton-le-Willows and went to school in St Helens, also reiterated his strong support of Share Liverpool’s plan for Reds fans to unite and buy the Anfield club.

He said: “It is a challenge, but the long-term goal of fans who want to buy clubs is to make them democratic and not for sale.

“In my view, that is what a football club should be and I would definitely lend my support to that principle.”

Speaking at Anfield sport and community centre, Breckside Park, he praised the two clubs for becoming the first Premier League sides to collaborate in supporting the Kickz initiative.

The project gives young people in deprived areas the chance to attend three nights of sport a week at 25 specially-designated sites.

Mr Burnham added: “Two clubs of this size working together in the community is something you do not see every day.

“In the first year of Kickz, many players have been picked up by clubs and . . . that is a tangible result.”

THE leader of Sefton council said the authority was “bounced” into making a decision on Everton’s Kirkby plans.

Cllr Tony Robertson was critical of the short space of time councillors had to react to the proposal and said it was “sad” people accused Sefton of being opposed to the stadium or Kirkby’s regeneration.

He said the council had never expressed a view about Everton’s stadium and where it should be - and the issue was the linked Tesco-led shopping district, which councillors were told would have an effect on shopping areas from Aintree to Southport.

what do you think about Everton and Liverpool shareing stadium think

i dont think it will work no

Last edited by jason24v6; 5th Sep 2008 11:41am.
Google Ads
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
the only thing that would stop a shared stadium from working is fans getting all whiny about it! its probabaly the best plan they are left with plus you would get all the fans that never go near a match whining like a lot of blues giving it the "ooh i dont wanna go to kirby" even though the nearest they have been to Goodison, was watching Ian play for Tranmere!

"can you describe the assailant?"
"er, 6ft3, moustache"
"my, thats a big moustache!"
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
As evertonian i would have no problem sharing in fact when you look at all the hassles both clubs seem to be having which all come down to finance it seems the logical solution

It all makes perfect sense expressed in dollars and cents ,pound shillings and pence
Wise One
Wise One
I'm a Liverpool fan who thinks a groundshare would be to the detriment of both teams. I appreciate that Everton are finding it difficult to find new investment in the club, but this scheme has been dead in the water a few times... only to be revived in desperation.

You might have noticed the boardroom shenannigans at Anfield over recent seasons. The clubs was sold to a couple of american 'playas' because Moores didn't have the money to invest in a new stadium for Liverpool, which has subsequently been delayed because of the credit crunch, (and more likely through boardroom lies and turmoil).
Why would we go through all this nonsense only to abandon or plans in favour of a faceless, soulless amenity. The identity of both teams would be diluted, and I'm afraid to say more so Everton's because of their weaker financial position and lower global media profile.
The Premier league is a massive global business these days, which was set upon this path by the partisan support from each teams supporters over many, many years. Each team needs it's own 'home', and identity and traditions.

I don't wish ill upon our blue neighbours but... get your own stadium will ya. mad

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
sort of agree with that but two teams combined could get a stadium together to rival wembley. you could have a kop end used for visitors during an everton game and vice-versa but know what you mean about a clubs identity

needed to change this for years. so now i have. ha
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Thats what im on about. people go on about "identity" and "tradition" when that really is not that important, just ask any Leeds fan, all that matters is competing and if both clubs get stuck in their current lodgings how are they going to compete?

Tradition went out with the terracing and that killed the atmosphere in the stadiums!

Even the current plans would still be a "soulless arena" anyway, I havent yet been in a new stadium with atmosphere, even Wembley looks like a library!

"er, 6ft3, moustache"
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
H4H County Volunteer
Wiki Veteran
Originally Posted by Shambo
I don't wish ill upon our blue neighbours but... get your own stadium will ya. mad

raftl raftl raftl Am I correct in thinking it was our ground in the first place think surely it's the reds that need their own raftl

On a serious note though, not sure I'd want a shared ground. Having said that, I don't want a stadium without a soul either. As a Blue, I miss the way Goodison used to feel in the 80's let alone now.

It's a catch 22 situation. At this rate, neither team will have a stadium to play in! I suppose something has to give.

Sometimes Police Officers give more than just speeding tickets!

It�s hard to be fit as a fiddle when you�re shaped like a cello!
Wise One
Wise One
Originally Posted by Sir_longmong
Thats what im on about. people go on about "identity" and "tradition" when that really is not that important, just ask any Leeds fan, all that matters is competing and if both clubs get stuck in their current lodgings how are they going to compete?

Have a word with yourself. withthat
What are you on about?

"Identity" and "tradition" is very important. It's kinda the reason it makes so much money... in fact it the whole basis for professional football. US versus THEM. The identity of your team. The tribalism, the partisan support, the unquestioning love of your team. It arouses passions, fills stadia, promotes itself globally, television rights, ads, sponsorship, multi millonaire wages, multi billoinaire owners and...it sells shirts. think
That's not just good advertising selling those shirts.

I, with the greatest respect, don't give a flying £uck what a Leeds fan would think about anyones groundshare. Leeds fans or any others should be worrying about their own team. Their opinions don't come into it. Leeds isn't Liverpool and the comparison is insultingly laughable.

My opinion is that it'd be a disaster for both teams, for merseyside... and more so for Liverpool FC than Everton. hand

Paganjay I know Everton used to play at Anfield. I quite like the fact. It's a great story and a fascinating quirk in the rich footballing heritage of these local parts. Not something I'd feel embarrassed about, *try harder* wink . Some people in the UAE woud pay a fortune for sporting history like that.

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
Had a word with myself and he backs me up!

I couldnt give one what people thought about "partisan support" and all the other romantic bollocks as long as my team where competing, I support Tranmere and would share a anew stadium with cammel lairds or birkenhead rugby club if it meant financial gain and cutting out a load of pissing about for my club!

"er, 6ft3, moustache"
Wise One
Wise One
Tranmere? You have my sympathy.

The red, white and blue teams round here might be playing the same game but Tranmere is a world away from the premiership. Liverpool and Everton are playing to a global audience.

If you'd be happy to leave Prenton Park and share a stadium then thats your look out. It doesn't relate to a Liverpool and Everton groundshare, unless maybe you'd like to share that too? Of course you would. That'd be great for your team, and I'd can be one of those 'whiney' dissenters who happens to think my team deserves it's own stadium.

Forum Guide
Forum Guide
"and I'd can be one of those 'whiney' dissenters"

good call

"er, 6ft3, moustache"
Wise One
Wise One
Shhh. The big boys are talking football. Not being a fan of either team, I'm at a loss as to why you think you're got a valid opinion, nevermind label people who don't agree with it as whiney.

Attached Images
scooby-doo.jpg
Forum Guide
Forum Guide
ah the old "he doesnt support a premier league team what does he know?" well ill have you know I have an armchair to watch match of the day on too!

Last edited by Sir_longmong; 6th Sep 2008 7:58pm.

"er, 6ft3, moustache"
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by Shambo
Shhh. The big boys are talking football. Not being a fan of either team, I'm at a loss as to why you think you're got a valid opinion, nevermind label people who don't agree with it as whiney.

dont believe everythin gary lineker an co tell you! all this bollox bout history an tradition... iv seen people who support liverpool all of a sudden,they had jus won the champions league funnily enough!bet u go to every game eh?

Wise One
Wise One
hahaha. Am I not qualified to give this opinion? I was born a Liverpool supporter, my father was a supporter, grandfather, great grandfather. I don't go every game anymore, but I used to hold a season ticket and go home and away. I feel I'm entitled to express an opinion about the team I was raised to support, and your accusation that I'm some sort of glory hunting armchair fan is laughable, and shows you don't have a valid retort. If I claimed to be a fan and had never set foot in Anfield my entire life, my opinion on the matter would still count, whereas yours clearly do not.

Lets get back on topic shall we. Why the hell would a Tranmere fan call a Liverpool supporter who doesn't want to share a ground 'whiney'? Why? Are you jealous, a little bitter maybe? Perhaps you belive as a supporter of a lower league team you represent some sort of hard core common sense? That because your team isn't very succesfull that makes you a better football supporter? I suggest you restrain your idiocy and worry about your own team... let me worry about mine.

What sort of supporter thinks the traditions and identity of their team is aload of hype and bollix that should be jettisoned to save a few quid?

You've engaged your keyboard without thinking this through haven't you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am