Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
8 members (2 invisible), 11,645 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
The History of Wallasey Village
by PaulWirral - 1st Jul 2009 6:03pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
lincle 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
call 0151 7096010..if its a non urgent call to the Police...

Mustang
Google Ads
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by Corsa_Nikki0166
I ave experience with living among the arabs in Saudi Arabia, and I have to say in the 8 years I lived there, I did not hear or see anyone doing any sort of crime. Now I am not saying that people didnt commit crime, they did. But due to the harsh punishment, it detered people from doing crime. So although I believe not such punishments would work here in the UK, I do think they work in some societies.

The only problem with UK, is although we do have punishments, they still are not harsh enough for some crimes committed. The other thing, is although a jail sentence is given, if they appeal it, more often than not they are out half way through it. They dont learn!

I also noticed you put 'I still am of the opinion that it is better that 10 guilty go free rather than an innocent man be jailed wrongly'.....we obviously dont have a very good justice system if you feel that we would get it wrong.....it wouldnt be of any opinion if our country and government did their jobs right!

So......although I believe maybe we shouldnt have punishments like Saudi, I do believe that we should change somethings about the way we deal with certain crimes and punishments.

And to be honest I would agree with Matt, I think that if they were to bring back certain things, then a lot of our crimes would drop! And to be honest some people probably commit crime because they get a better life in prison than they do out. Going to prison is a sort of punishment, unfortunatley because of how our prisons are now, its like walking into a hotel room, no-body learns from it, and then judges/police/government all wonder why criminals commit crime again!

I lived in Bahrain for 4 years..and also have experience of the arab way of life....crime still does go on....but people are just terrified about doing anything wrong..such as jaywalking...they rule but absolute power and fear...
is that really a civilised way to live? not in my humble opinion
...isnt the whole point of democracy and freedom of speech why millions of people fought and died for our rights over the years...

as for my comment..'I still am of the opinion that it is better that 10 guilty go free rather than an innocent man be jailed wrongly' you also miss the point...
we have an excellent justice system in that it must be proved that someone is guilty beyond reasonable doubt...a far higher standard than civil law..on the balnce of probabilities...and the US system is also of a lower standard of proof.

Whilst we all rant about minor and petty crime...locking people up for it isnt the solution..education, good parenting and challenging ASB is the better way.

Comon..how many people bitch and moan about getting tickets for minor things like..speeding, no seat belts, like numberplates etc etc etc....

if we really clamped down on things...and jumped all over people for minor crimes...would it solve things...I very much doubt it!

The quintessential thing about the UK is the stereotypical idea of a bobby on the beat..they public hate the fact we even wear stabvests asthey are a bit too aggresive looking...so we tone it down with hi-viz jackets...

I think of lot of people think the grass is greener on the otherside if we were harsher...but I bet money that push comes to shove...people wouldnt be at all happy if we were more strict and handed out harsher penalties...

Mustang
Newbeee
Newbeee
Originally Posted by Auditastic

...and the US system is also of a lower standard of proof.

The problem with the American justice system, IMO, is that they've made it political. You *elect* many local judges and district attorneys over here, and they stand on political tickets. It's only at the highest levels that they're appointed, but even then, the appointments are still political ones, e.g. Bush loading the Supreme Court with the most right-wing judges he could get approved.

As regards "crimes", you wouldn't believe some of the things that get reported *and acted upon* in my local (and very rural) area. The cops have to justify their existence, as they're paid for locally. I've seen a report where one kid poured a can of Coke (or similar) over another kid and **was charged with harrassment**.

If I remember, I'll scan the next 'court report' section from our weekly local scandal sheet, and put it up on my WWW site. It should give you all a laugh. One of my friends recently retired as a sergeant in the Manc. police, and he said he near died laughing when I e-mailed him one of the 'court report' pages.

Brian.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Ok, for starters, freedom of speech, yeh so many people fought for it, shame it doesnt really happen anymore. Unfortunatley for the british citizens, you say anything about or to a black person, and your done for racism...thats not freedom of speech. I could say that I dont like asylum seekers in our country, and I would get hung,drawn and quartered for being racist, and yet I lived among them for 8 years!

Now you say you lived in Bahrain, fair enough....but living in Bahrain and Saudi are two completley different countries, with different cultures and beliefs...bhrain is a much more leniant country..I mean for example, in Saudi drink is illegal, as where its not in Bahrain! You dont have to cover up in Bahrain, you can eat bacon in Bahrain. The reason why alcohol banned, is because a prince went out and got drunk one night and raped a young girl, so the royal family banned drink! I have been to both places, and they are not the same! Although Saudi is strict,notice how not many people will put a foot out of place! And like I said, although I believe they wouldnt work in our society, they do in others!

You say better parenting.....you give me 3 possible ways in which you would start good parenting?......

An as for bobbies, the public dont care what you wear, as long as they feel safe in the knowledge that your doing your job right, and that if they had a problem, it would be sorted for them. Am sure at the moment, not many people do feel like that.

We want a country whereby we feel safe...we know that we can go out on the streets and nothing will happen. That old ladies can be safe in knowledge that they can walk to any destination without being hassled. We dont live in such a society!

All I am saying is that although Saudi's punishments maybe would not work.....longer prison sentences...detention centres....no appeals against sentences....more community service....and make it less uncomfortable in prison...take away luxuries that they have....tv...playstation and such things, am sure criminals wouldnt want to be in there. You could always add on, if they have already been to prison for rape or murder, bring the death penaltey back!!!

[Linked Image]
Nikki Abbo! wink Life isnt a practise,you have to get it right first time! smile
Forum Master
Forum Master
Load of crap lol, Live life how you want to, Too short to follow or care about all this crap lol

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Civic_Coupe_Sean
Load of crap lol, Live life how you want to, Too short to follow or care about all this crap lol

Remember that the next time you or someone you know are a victim of crime...

Forum Master
Forum Master
I meant all this freedom of speach crap, Not crime mate

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
yeh well one day....freedom of speech and all that crap will affect you. It affects you now, you just dont realise...you going to vote on thursday?....ya know if you dont vote people are going to start gettin fines through their front door.....there will be things in your future that u wont agree with....but because you dont care about this crap...its people like you that have that have the same views as others, but because you dont care...you dont try and help others n changing our society for the better.

[Linked Image]
Nikki Abbo! wink Life isnt a practise,you have to get it right first time! smile
Forum Master
Forum Master
Me vote ? LMAO raftl Never voted in my life and don't intend too tease

Forum Master
Forum Master
I don't take note in all that crap, Bores the hell out of me TBH.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Civic_Coupe_Sean
Me vote ? LMAO raftl Never voted in my life and don't intend too tease

Then you are happy to just sit down and be a slave to the state for the rest of you're life? You don't want any say in where you're tax is spent? You're happy to have you're hard earned money taken off you to look after the fat cats and aristocrats?

I dont give a damn about local elections, and thanks to Labour refusing to allow me onto the electoral role I won't be at the next election on Thursday, but come the next GE next May, I for one will be voting, to get this ... out of power!!

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
fair enough....thats up to you isnt it. Expect a coupla fines through ur front door smile

[Linked Image]
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Also, I recently recall you moaning about not being able to get a job, that you really want to be in, that treats you well and you are satisfied with... a lot of this is to do with many factors that can be directly related to the way the country is run, and the people who are elected, by you, the public, to run it.

Without ever voting, you have (along with all other people who never want to vote), imho, no reason to moan. If you vote for a losing party/candidate, at least you have grounds to moan.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
And Matt I completely agree with you! I want this ... out of power aswell, they aint doing nuthin for our country!

[Linked Image]
Forum Master
Forum Master
They are all ..., The world will never chance,

Im sorry Nikki but they cant fine you for not voting, And if they do id love to see them try.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
Gibbo
Gibbo
Formby
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,655 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,018,018 Spotted!