These soldiers are parading in Whetstone Lane c.1910.
The building in the background behind the tram side pole was the Grange Hotel which stood at the junction of Grange Road (off to the right) and Atherton Street (straight ahead).
The hotel dated back to at least 1850, when the licensee was Elanor Postlewaite, and Grange road was then Grange Lane. The hotel which later became a Birkenhead Brewery Pub
was demolished in the mid 1980's and McDonalds now occupies the site.
The nearer building which is seen standing on the side of Grange Road was a branch of the North & South Wales Bank which was built in 1902 at a cost of £6,793 and incorporated the manager's house.
Midland Bank took them over in 1908 and this branch closed in 1991.