Hatton to fight Mexico's Lazcano,
Floyd Mayweather and Ricky Hatton
Hatton was stopped in the 10th round of his Mayweather fight
Ricky Hatton will return to action in his home town of Manchester on 24 May to defend his IBO light-welterweight title against Mexico's Juan Lazcano.
The fight, which marks a drop back down from welterweight for the 29-year old, will take place at the City of Manchester Stadium.
Hatton will be aiming to bounce back from his defeat by Floyd Mayweather.
A final contract with Lazcano has still to be signed, but deals with the stadium and promoters have been agreed.
Interview: Ricky Hatton
The Hatton camp was eager to make the announcement slightly early having sealed the deal to hold the fight at the home of Manchester City, ahead of alternative venues such as Wembley.
I am still left with the impression that Hatton is ducking Witter
The last time Hatton fought in his home town was in 2005 when he defeated Kostya Tszyu.
"It is a homecoming fight and it's an absolute dream come true to be fighting back in Manchester," said Hatton.
"I'm down the home straight of my career with everything I have done so far.
"But I'm back down to my normal weight and it's my aim to come back and slam the door on everyone who thinks I'm finished.
"You prove yourself to be great by coming back from obstacles which are put in front of you."
Former WBF lightweight title holder Lazcano, 32, has won 37 of his 42 bouts.
Hatton enjoyed the support of thousands of British fans in his loss to Mayweather in Las Vegas in December - the first of his professional career - and subsequently promised to hold his next fight in the UK.
Not everyone can afford to go to Vegas for every single fight. This is my way of saying 'thank you'
"Some 30,000 fans went over to Vegas last time and only 5,000 of them had tickets, so it was time to come home," he told BBC Radio Manchester.
"Not everyone can afford to go to Vegas for every single fight. This is my way of saying 'thank you' and having a homecoming."
Ray Hatton, Ricky's promoter and father, said the fight would mark the first occasion in British boxing in which tickets would be priced with the fans in mind and some packages geared towards families.
"It's not about the pounds, shillings and pence - it's about the fans," he said.
Two further world title fights are being worked on for the undercard along with a potential fight for an English title.
Hatton's official website said a further announcement would be made on Thursday.