Originally Posted by Digital Spy
John Simm will reportedly take over the role of The Doctor from David Tennant, playing the eleventh incarnation of the popular Time Lord.

The News of the World claims that the deal has been signed, with the former Life on Mars star to play the coveted role in the fifth season due to be screened in 2010. The tabloid cites a BBC insider as saying: "John is absolutely over the moon. He's got a six-year-old son who is a massive Doctor Who fan and he can't believe his dad is going to fly the Tardis at work."

Simm appeared in the final three episodes of the third season of Doctor Who earlier this year in a different role - as evil Time Lord The Master.

The BBC has since told Digital Spy that the News of the World story is untrue.

I dont believe this can be true, as there is supposed to be the2007 Xmas special, then a full series next year, then in 2009 there will be 3 feature legnth specials, with another full series in 2010 and Tennant has said he intends to work through until at least 2011 because he is absolutely loving it!

Cant see it, also I honestly think Simm would be a crap doctor, the worst ever, he just doesnt fit the mould at all, I felt he was absolute shite as the master in the last series!

Digital Spy Report