WikiWirral yrs online 24/7 365 days a year.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
7 members (3 invisible), 8,175 guests, and 438 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
When you are due for your next upgrade, dont be prepared to pay the same as you are now for the minutes/texts you are getting, if you are on a standard tariff, expect to pay less, a lot less!! Even if you are already on a special offer, you may as well try, as god loves a trier lol!

I have just upgraded and as I have been on a standard tariff for the past two years (400mins + 100 texts @ £35.00 per month + o2 Long Weekends until recently), I decided the time was right to get my own back on o2 and stop them ripping me off (this isnt a dig at o2, all mobile networks rip their customers off).

Here is how to do it:

Step 1 - Upgrade as early as you can
I took the contract out on 22nd December 2005... yet I upgraded to my third handset on Wednesday 24th October 2007?? Okay thats 22 months, each contract runs for 12 months, so how do I do that? Many people dont realise that on a 12 month contract, as soon as you are into the last 30 days, you can upgrade, and the upgrade will take effect within a couple of days, so why pay for 12 months when you can pay for only 11 (provided you dont intend to leave the network). For those poor people stuck on an 18 month contract its even better, you can upgrade after 15 months! Im not sure about 24 month contract, but it could be 18 months???

Step 2 - Do your homework!
When I say do your homework, I mean literally about 10 - 30 minutes having a look around the web, searching for the best deals you can that would suit you. Also, try and enhance the "standard" deals of your networks competitor's, say they are special offers in you local store or whatever, but make them realistic. Periodical chequeback offers are not the best to use, so avoid if possible. A little blagging though goes a long way!

Step 3 - Contact your network
As soon as its upgrade day, armed with your weapons of cheaper deals, contact your network's upgrade team on their dedicated telephone number - dont go into a store as they wont be able to help you! Tell them you are thinking of leaving because you have seen offer X in the local shop or offer Y online, and the tariff you are on is not good enough...

Step 4 - Push for more, you are the boss!
Mobile networks are weak - you, the consumer, are king! When you give them a push, 99% of the time, they will respond in a positive manner - but only if they think they are about to lose you! Make it clear that you are wishing to move to another network for the better deal and see what they say... you will eventually be put through to their "disconnections team" - dont worry, they are actually the "customer retention" team, and will do everything they can to keep you as a customer!

Step 5 - Tell them what you want
Dont make your requirements stupidly unrealistic - you are not going to get the latest and greatest phone with 500 mins and 1000 text for £10 per month - but so long as your requirements are realistic, they will try their best. Dont accept their first offer - it may sound impressive, but thats the offer they are hoping you will take, 99% of the time, they will offer better... phone them back once or twice if needs be, depending on who you get, the better offer you will be given. Take the names of the people making the offers as they are easier to trace then. Stick to your guns with regards to contract legnths, if you want 12 months, you shouldnt be pushed into longer... networks want everyone on 18 month contracts, saying they are better value etc, but some people (like me) prefer 12 months, dont let them force you into it! Sometimes (very rare) they will just turn around and say we will cancel your contract... say you will think about it and phone back in a day or so, dont be intimidated by them.

So they have made you an offer you cant refuse? Good, take it, but be wise
Once they have made you an offer you are happy with, before you accept, get them to clarify it (contract legnth, inclusive minutes, texts, any special extra's etc) and ask questions NOW, because once its accepted, you wont be able to ammend the agreements. Remember, once everything is clarified to your liking, all telephone conversations are recorded by the network, as they have no getting out of it. Accept the offer, and make a written note of the key elemens of the offer. If they make any exceptional offer (like a cashback offer to you which gives you essentially free line rental for the entire period) make sure you get it in writing before you accept.

And then hopefully, you will have what you want, with a nice saving! thumbsup

Google Ads
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Here is how I did it and what I got:

I went online and looked around at the official Orange and Vodafone (o2's main rivals) websites. I found that on the Orange site, the "Dolphin £30" plan looked good, if it was doubled up in minutes and texts (its usually 200 mins and 300 texts, so double that would be 400 mins and 600 texts). So I decided upon that blag as my main weapon, with a few other offers from the likes of phones4u and onestopphoneshop.com as backup plans.

So I phoned o2 up, and to be honest I was quite blunt, told them I had been in an Orange shop that morning (yeah right!) and had seen a special offer, either a free Nokia E61 or Toshiba G500 (hmmm) on the £30.00 per month 12 month dolphin plan, but with the minutes and texts doubled (loooooooool). I told them that as it was significantly better then the tariff I was on, I would be intending to leave. Anyway, the guy made a few lame offers of basically standard tariffs, with nothing special, basically the same as I was on now, and eventually he put me through the "disconnections team".

When this happened, the guy asked me why I was leaving, so I told him why, and he said he would see what he could do to help me. I did explain to him that I was happy to stay with o2, but their tariff's just wernt good enough, and he asked me what I would be looking for. I explained, something that equalled the dolphin tariff I had been offered by Orange, along with the new Sony Ericsson P1i, as o2 dont offer the G500 (neither do Orange but o2 dont know that).

This is where my homework started to come in handy, the guy looked at the Orange site and told me it was an 18 month contract, I laid down the law (politely) and told him it was a 12 month contract I had been offered and it was just doubled minutes etc... Then when he eventually gave in trying to blag it was an 18 month contract, he came out with the argument I had only used 147 minutes in the previous month, and I hit back with my argument which is sometimes I go over my 400 minutes, I just never know, so I couldnt accept any lower, he also opened himself up in that I argued, well if im a low user, why should I be paying £35 a month and only using 147 minutes and 100 texts on average lol. He was coming out with allsorts of crappy offers, better then my normal tariff but still not what I wanted!

Eventually he asked me straight, what did I need, I re-iterated I wanted at least 400 minutes per month, and 500 texts a month, with a Sony Ericsson P1i. He asked me how much I wanted to pay, so I answered that since I could get the equivalent from Orange for £30.00 per month, that would be what I would take and no less. He argued about the P1i as he rekoned it was worth too much to offer free at that price - its true that o2 dont usually offer it free on anything less then £45 per month contracts for 12 monthers, so I had a fight on my hands to get everything I was asking for... or so I thought!

I was happy to pay £30.00 per month, I had told him so! Yet less then a minute after telling him that, out of the blue, he offered me 500 minutes and 500 texts with a free Nokia N95 on a 12 month contract for £25.00 per month!! Now I know I didnt want the N95, and I really really wanted the P1i, but for that amount of texts/minutes, with a standard price of £25.00 per month, whilst still getting a phone that usually at £25.00 per month is £149.00 to buy, I honestly couldnt refuse!! Work it out, over the 11 months, I would pay just £275 and yet the phone was worth ~£400 on Expansys lol!

So I asked a few questions, got him to clarify the offer a couple of times, and accepted it with happiness! It arrived on Friday (yesterday) and my plan has now changed. So here is what I was getting and what I am now getting:

- 12 month contract
- 400 minutes a month (+2000 LW minutes which has now expired)
- 100 texts
- Thier system didnt know if I was an online or offline customer so no free customer support
- Free Nokia K800i Silver
- £35.00 Per Month

Basically got this:

- 12 month contract (all the networks try to get ppl on 18 or 24 tariffs)
- 500 anytime any network minutes
- 500 text messages
- Non-online tariff (means free customer support and paper billing)
- Free Nokia N95 (i didnt want this but couldnt really refuse the tariff)
- Free unlimited web surfing for 3 months
- £25.00 Per Month - Usually £40.00 per month!

Could I have held out for a P1i (my desired phone)? Probably, but I think it would have been extremely hard to get for free at £25.00 per month, maybe at £35.00 per month they would have budged... Either way though, the N95 is still a top end phone (Nokia's highest general phone) and one of the commercially highest valued. I probably wont keep it, so selling it on eBay will give me enough cash to buy a P1i anyway, or even enough to pay for the entire contract!!

MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
To summarise, it took me less then 30 minutes, including about 10-15 minutes on the phone, and saved me £180.00 per year over what the plan should cost, and £120 per year over what im paying now.

smile

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
nice.

quite enjoyed reading that as I've always wondered how go blag them.

Think I'll stick to pay as you go though as I hardly use my phone that much

Autowirral.co.uk - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Motoring Enthusiasts.
Cruisewirral.com - The Northwest's Biggest forum of Modified Car Enthusiasts.
Forum Master
Forum Master
i only use y fone to call the missus and txt my brother so rarely go near my limits altho i know i am paying well over the odds for wot i get

£25 for 200mins anytime any network and 250 txts

i know ppl who r basically getting more than i am for half the cost... i still however have about 12 months of my cntract to complete before i can upgrade... also with vodafone u can upgrade in the last 2 months of ur contract smile

MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Lol got me mobile bill through the other day...

£16.40 a month im being charged - it seems o2 are giving me far too big a discount, its supposed to be discounted from £40 to £25, but the discount is liks £23 summit instead - not that I shall be ringing up to complain hehe!

£16.00 per month for 11 months sounds good to me, especially as I just sold me N95 for £250 haha! Contract paid off, 500 mins and 500 texts a month, and a K800i and I have cash to spare!!

MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Upgraded again last month (September that is). Took me 2 days to get something I wanted this time. And it proves that you should never accept their first offer if you don't like it and sometimes you need to keep pushing them and stand your ground to get a good deal...

The first time I phoned up, I was looking to take the HTC Touch Diamond (XDA Ignito on o2), increase my minutes a bit and get unlimited web. I already knew that 12 month contracts have been stopped on o2, so I had this to bargain with, I also made up a blag, but realistic, redemption/cashback offer from Phones4u to use as my weapon for driving down the cost.

Anyway, the first time I rang, they said they could offer 1200 minutes and 1000 texts plus unlimited web and a free Ignito for £35.00 per month - not good enough!!

So I told them I would consider it and phone up again half an hour later. They then proceeded to offer me the same offer, despite me insisting I didnt want to pay over £20.00 per month. I know people who had got the Ignito with 600 mins, 1000 texts and unlimited web for £20.00 per month, so this is what I was aiming for.

I phoned up again, but this time, I called retentions instead of upgrades, to see what their best offer was. They offered me the same contract as the upgrades team (1200mins, 1000 texts and unlimited web) but for £30.00 per month. Again, not good enough!! So they reduced the cost further to £27.00 per month, and stated that is the best deal I can have. I told them I didnt want 1200 minutes or even 1000 texts and said if they can do 600 minutes and 500 texts with unlimited web for £20.00 per month, id be happy. Unfortunatly "computer says no" was the response I got. Fair enough, ill leave it I told them, after them trying to get me onto a SIMplicity tariff.

Phoned up about and hour later, told them straight that I wanted to cancel the contract. The guy asked why, I told him why, he said he would try to do the deal I wanted. He could not do it, and went to see his supervisor, who could not get the system to do it either. He reluctantly accepted my request for a PAC code. I wasnt afraid to call their bluff, because I knew the winback team would phone me at some point.

Anyway, the next day, wouldnt you know it, a woman from the winback team phone me at midday. The woman explain they are phoning to explain the transfer process to me (like shite they are) but as expected they asked why I was leaving. I told them straight the deal I wanted and the woman said she would have a look. She comes back and says the best deal for me and my usage would be the same old offer they had already made:

1200 Minutes
1000 Text Messages
Unlimited Web
Free XDA Ignito
18 Month Contract
£27.00 Per Month

I must admit that it is an excellent offer in fairness, it would be £45.00 per month as standard. But too many minutes and I wanted my bill lower, not higher (I was paying £25.00 per month).

So I decided to play it a different way. Told the woman that really I would prefer to stay on a 12 month contract. She proceeded to explain that they dont officially offer them anymore, but that I can have one without a phone. She came back and offered me the following:

500 Minutes
1000 Text Messages
No Phone
£150.00 Account Credit
£25.00 Per Month
12 Month Contract

This essentially means the first 6 months would be free, and the remaining 6 would be £25.00, which is equal to £12.50 per month. I said I would think about it and asked the woman to phone back.

She phoned back at 5 like she said she would, and I told her, if I could have unlimited web with it, id take the 12 month plan. No can do, unlimited web isnt allowed for free on 12 month contracts (im at the final point of call here, so I can't argue with them, if I dont take something here, I wont get a second chance).

So I said, how about an 18 month contract with no phone... She looked on the system and offered me the following:

500 X-Net Anytime Minutes
Unlimited o2 - o2 Calls (Everyone I know is on o2)
Unlimited Text Messages
Unlimited Web Access (Exactly what I wanted)
£150.00 Account Credit
£15.00 Per Month
18 Month Contract
No free phone (I dont care, I love my K800i with its excellent camera and long battery life).

So I worked it out... £5.80 per month for practically unlimited everything!! Wow! So of course I accepted this offer, but I asked the woman if it was possible for me to change my number. She could not process this for me, but added a note to my account, entitling me to a free number change whenever I want it, all I have to do is phone customer services. This is worth £35.00 as I have already had two numbers.

Throughout it, the staff were polite and as helpful as they can be. The deals are becoming harder to get now due to the credit crunch and rising cost of modern phones, but with a little patience and determination, you can still push an awsome deal out of them. If you choose to keep your phone, you can get an absolutely unbeatable deal.

So essentially, I have the next year free thanks to the credit on my account (I was already £11 in credit) and then im only paying £15.00 per month for 5 months, whereas I was paying £25.00 last year for much much less!!

Result!!

Forum Master
Forum Master
i upgraded a couple of weeks ago, totally shite, that bad im not even gonna say it in here - tried to haggle them once but the ppl i spoke to were thick as pig shit and lived for script reading. so wasnt interested, ended up gettin me fone in the voda shop - the camera is fooking awful tho 5mp camera that's grainier than a 1940's black and white telly (samsung F450 i think).. £25, 1000 txts and free handset

good deal u got there matt, if only i had ur persistance/patience lol

AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
Yea, a very good deal but you need to constantly be at them..

When I updated my phone over summer, I had earnt £100 with my 18 month contract, to use on a new phone. I decided to go for the Samsung Tocco touch phone, which was £180. Only problem being, I didnt want to spend the extra £80. So simply asked the sales assistant what they could do for me, rang up customer services, and they gave me the new handset for free, on my original deal which is a good deal to start with;
£20 a month
£180 credit each month
Free Internet usage
Friends and Family call plan with reduced callcosts and free calls to anyone on T-Mobile
£10 free credit on a new sim card for my Old phone

Overall, a damn good deal, saving over £180

They also increased the price plan from £180 a month, to £200, as that it the new deal they offer now.

I was pleased laugh

[Linked Image]

------------------------------------------------------------
MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
A bit of a heads up for anyone upgrading on o2 in the next month or so...

o2 have an annual upgrade budget, and it runs from January through to December. As we are nearing the end of the year now, it seems as though they have run out of this budget, and deals are becoming VERY hard to get hold of now. The systems are prepared to let people leave before they will give them the deal that they want.

So if you are due for an upgrade, and upgrades/retentions do not offer you the deal you want, try and hold out till the new year if possible, because the upgrade budget will be renewed which means more and better upgrade/retention deals.

And I am led to believe that there WILL soon be decent upgrade/retention deals available on the iPhone within the next few months, and maybe even some lower tariffs for it.

smile

AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
My mate here In Preston was due for an upgrade, so I took him to the O2 shop..to organise his upgrade etc...

He wanted my phone, the Samsung Tocco..even though a new ones just come out.. but he managed to get that for free, then rang up retentions...who he said seemed shocked to be being rung by a customer (??) and he managed to get his monthly bill down from an extortionate £40 to a much better £27.

He seems pretty happy to be honest, but I think he could have got it a bit less in my view.

[Linked Image]

MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
Sometimes retentions can act odd when you phone them direct; but they are meant to I guess as they don't really want people phoning them as opposed to the upgrades line, because their systems allow better deals and therefore make less money for o2 lol.

Did he get 12000 minutes and 1000 texts with a free bolt on by any chance?

smile

AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
AlfaHolic
Forum Veteran
No, he got unlimited Texts and something else that I cant remember...

Still a good deal to be fair...

But I prefer mine, £200 to use each month (I only ever use bout £20 at the most)..free internet..cheap calls and texts to T-Mobile users...and because Im on Friends and family package, all other calls and texts are cheap as well....

[Linked Image]

MattLFC Offline OP
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
The bolt on could have been unlimited texts tbh; I am only wondering because this is the only deal o2 retentions seem to be able to offer at the moment, which is still excellent as its 40% off the standard price.

I don't think I could be bothered having a "credit" to use each month; I have practically unlimited everything now, but before that I liked to have a good idea of how many minutes/texts I would be guaranteed each month. Does it ever get confusing? Is it what they call Flext or summit like that?

It sounds a great idea though if your usage varies from month to month (ie. one month you use 150 mins of calls and 700 texts and the next you use 600 mins of calls and 40 texts etc...). It probably would have beenfitted me last year when I was reguarly going over my call allowance, but sending hardly any texts in comparison lol.

smile

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
give your phone to your dog as a square meal (slightly rectangular) bills will drop dramatically

needed to change this for years. so now i have. ha
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Mark 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
KevinFinity
KevinFinity
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am