There have been churches dedicated to St Hilary on this site since at least 902
and it`s possible that the earliest church dates back to the Fifth century. The tower, (the oldest building in Wallasey), was built as part of the fourth St Hilary`s church in 1530.
The tower became part of the fifth church built in 1757-1760. It remained the only church in Wallasey until the Nineteenth century and on the North side of the tower was the first school in Wallasey. Legends speak of tunnels leading from below the tower floor to other parts of Wallasey and that these tunnels were used to hide the goods collected by local shipwreckers.
This fifth church was destroyed by fire in 1857. The fire was caused by the sexton stoking up the boiler too high after complaints that the church was cold. The heat melted fat on hams being unofficialy smoked above the boiler which in turn caught fire.
It is recorded that Wallasey smelt of bacon for days afterwards.
The fire destroyed the tower floors and the six bells crashed down and were broken.
They were re-cast and placed in the present St Hilarys.
In 1893 the tower roof was repaired and the ground floor area became a mortuary chapel. The floor level was raised and decorated with Minton tiles.
The tower was re-roofed and restored in 2003. For times of opening and access contact the Rector (0151 638 4771)