Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,347
Posts1,033,259
Members14,550
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
10 members (3 invisible), 9,938 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
JohnC, Luke2307, jharwood, TamTam, mrbigglesworth
14,550 Registered Users
New General Forums
Do we need Trident?
by derekdwc - 20th Jan 2016 1:11pm
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Looking for Joneses
by Markjon88 - 11th Apr 2019 7:06am
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 15
casper 14
bri445 4
Topic Replies
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:20pm
Gaza
by granny - 15th Mar 2024 10:13pm
Get your Money Tree ready
by StellaSimmons - 11th Mar 2024 11:50am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by bri445 - 4th Mar 2024 5:54pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by Abakumss - 2nd Mar 2024 3:52pm
Oleo Works
by diggingdeeper - 1st Mar 2024 11:51pm
Wiper mechanism needed
by Gibbo - 28th Feb 2024 12:29pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1029113 19th Jan 2017 3:01pm
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
The Council is planning a load of changes to parking charges.

Many car parks fees are about to double.
Country parks are about to have parking fees.
More streets are going to become pay-and-display in and near shopping areas.

This is a stupid thing to do that can only shut down the Wirral economy.

I've said before that I would prefer to buy an annual parking pass than have all this faffing around.

Of course its all a clever trick by the Government, they reduce the Council funding but its the Council that get the blame not the Government.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Google Ads
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
I won't pay £5 parking to take my grandchildren to Adventuretime at indoor fair nor to eat out or for cinema.
New Brighton is wonderful and businesses will close and theatre might strugglei if less people attend.

The pensioners who daily walk dogs in Royden Park and other outdoor places cannot afford the parking fees and will become more isolated and less fit.

The local residents will have roads blocked with parking.

I have considered getting the train from Grove Road Station to New Brighton to avoid charges.

The revenue could come from elsewhere. It's not rocket science to budget sensitivity and fairly.

Forum Master
Forum Master
Councils making over half a billion pounds profit from parking

Concerns have been raised that town hall parking rules are undermining local high streets and shopping parades. A 2012 survey found that almost 7 in 10 people intentionally avoided shopping areas with high parking prices. Two thirds said they would return to the high street if parking was more affordable. 1 in 5 felt there were not enough spaces available. It also found that 4 out of 5 people pay up to £150 per month for parking.

Local Government Secretary, Eric Pickles, said:

This £635 million municipal parking profit shows why we need to review and rein in unfair town hall parking rules. This government has scrapped the last administration’s Whitehall rules which told councils to hike up parking charges and adopt aggressive parking enforcement. But councils aren’t listening, and local shops and hard-working families are suffering as a result. The law is clear that parking is not a tax or cash cow for town hall officers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/councils-making-over-half-a-billion-pounds-profit-from-parking

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Temporary false number plates might be the answer when you park. Do the traffic wardens do a reg check or just put it down on their machine and slap ticket on windscreen. Perhaps we should all put our "favourite" councillors reg on our car when we park.

These rules are made by people who don't have to scrimp and save and count every penny and who don't live on the breadline.

Be murder if they decide to meter places like west Kirby prom,. More meters need more wardens.

DD. How much would you pay for an annual pass? Sounds a decent idea--I can see a counterfeit permit market opening up.

fish5133 #1029169 20th Jan 2017 1:32pm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
They do propose to charge to park on Wesy Kirby prom fish, there's a petition on the 38 degrees site if you want to sign it.

Addict
Addict
We should let these idiots on the council know that they will be voted out as soon as possible. They are depriving people of being able to afford to visit many of the leisure areas in Wirral & they will no doubt employ another gang of traffic wardens at our expense to dish out tickets. I feel sorry for the pensioners who will have to pay this unnecessary & greed-fuelled charge & hope that they will be instrumental in getting rid of these councillors. The next local election will be the first one where I have not voted Labour.

Bob.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Please sign this petition if you disagree with the proposed parking charges.
http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...rge-introduction-in-wirral-country-parks

Beethoven #1029232 21st Jan 2017 12:58am
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Beethoven
Please sign this petition if you disagree with the proposed parking charges.
http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitio...rge-introduction-in-wirral-country-parks

Signed.

It's crazy. As Pax and others say, all it will do is drive people away. Maybe that's what they are hoping, then they'll sell the parks etc off, saying nobody used them. Nobody is about to pay even a £2 to walk their dog on a daily basis.

DD, when the going was good, councils were spending like there was no tomorrow. They still waste money on unnecessary things like fireworks on the river, and cancelled six community bonfires. Which cost the most ?
The difficulty is that most of the money is going into the care sector anyway, or it would appear to be that way. Why is Abbeyfield getting any when they charge their residents something like £3 thousand a month anyway (or more).

This is just for September 2016, taken at random. See the money against Autism Initiatives on the 6/9/2016 . Not that I'm complaining against Autism , simply the amount of money and wondering how it can possibly be such vast amounts.

https://www.wirral.gov.uk/sites/def...20suppliers/2015-16/September%202016.pdf

Last edited by granny; 21st Jan 2017 1:04am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
£3000 a month sounds a lot, but it isn't totally disproportionate, its roughly the same as what a prisoner costs us. Full board lodgings plus 24/7 care for less than £100 a day (£4.12 an hour).

I'm also amused by the £635million pound "PROFIT" figure for municipal parking - this is not a profit figure its a gross income figure, I've said this before but car parks are not created nor maintained for nothing, they are expensive things.

The councils are having their budgets slashed at a totally inappropriate rate by the Government, never how bad the Council's previous financial integrity has been, there are limits as to how fast you can reduce expenditure and what is happening is going way beyond those limits. They are being forced to sell off or reduce assets that in the long term are going to cost more money, not save money.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
This is a stupid thing to do that can only shut down the Wirral economy.

Agree it's stupid, but what can you do when you have to finance all sorts of other things that really are necessary like care home places, road maitnenance, schools, various public buildings etc.

The stupidity is centrally sourced in Westminster. You could say it is country wide. We voted them in there!

Wiki Master
OP Offline
Wiki Master
@Ex I Agree with all you sentiments on the this except ....

I think the cost of installing and maintaining some of these parking meters and the associated administrative costs will result in them making a very small amount of money indeed. Perhaps the "inside plan" is to make a profit out of fines for those that chose not to buy tickets.

There is another danger that if some of these open spaces are then underused they will become assets for the council to sell off. Those sort of decisions are irreversible in the future.

I know its not entirely the Council's fault but while they award themselves above inflation pay rises, fiddle their expenses etc then they rightly don't get a lot of sympathy.

I amazed the Government hasn't ended up in the high court yet over some of the tricks they have pulled.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Well, it's only a matter of time before the meters are replaced by a camera and a notice telling you to pay for your parking by phone. That would be dirt cheap, and all the money handling and policing will be done by computer, much of it on YOUR phone at YOUR expense using YOUR battery. You don't even have to employ traffic wardens, depressing the already deeply depressed Wirral economy even further.

They will probably even charge you for downloading the app. that does the computing.

What do you mean you don't carry a smartphone? If you don't, you can piss off and park somewhere else!

It would be highly Illegal, of course, but I have often chuckled at the idea of entering Sainsbury's car park with false number plates carrying the number of the Queens Rolls, or May's Jaguar. One can imagine the lines humming between Buck house or Downing st and Sainsbury's HQ with accusations and denials hurtling to and fro!

Excoriator #1029289 22nd Jan 2017 9:35am
The parking fees in existing car parks is going up as well - by 50p a shot. So if I want to visit my GP in West Kirby, I have to pay 81% more (for one hour) and a trip to the gym will cost 60% more (I always pay for 2 hours, daren't get caught running 5 mins over).

So WBC is spending all this money pushing Invigor8 and Active Wirral, and then charging you more if you use the facilities.

Not only are they are proposing charges for the prom, but also for The Crescent, Banks Road and Grange Road - oh wait, that's where all the shops are doh!

Last time they put up the charges in the Concourse Car park, they insisted they made more money, but we could all see that the car park was half empty - more money for the Council, but less for the shop owners. So WBC reduced the fees - suddenly the car park is full!

In Hoylake they are proposing charging for the big car park by the station in Carr Lane, the little one in Albert Road, Station Road and Market Street. Lordy, that's where the shops are too!

I hope the traffic wardens don't get hit by any of the tumbleweed rolling down our empty streets on this side of Wirral.

Next time there is an election for Council members, I hope the 65% who didn't vote last time make their mark!

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Is Leasowe still going to be free, or will that be charged now. How can they do one without the other ?

Heswall car park off Telegraph Road, had the prices put up last time, so it was virtually abandoned. Then they introduced a scheme with a voucher with money off in certain shops , and no charges after 3 pm. The they reduced the prices, then put them up again.
Pain in the neck.
They fail to understand that all it will do is drive the people into the supermarkets more, the small shops will fail and be driven to close and everywhere will end up looking like Birkenhead. Shutters, and shit.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
granny #1029299 22nd Jan 2017 11:54am
Here's the link to which car parks / roads will be affected. Leasowe seems to have escaped.

Those affected are West Kirby, Hoylake, Heswall, Liscard, Bromborough, Bebington, Irby, Upton and Moreton

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...nd_as_pay_and_display_blitz_hits_Wirral/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
Xbox
by TudorBlue - 3rd Mar 2024 8:48pm
Possible Cause of Dementia
by diggingdeeper - 22nd Feb 2024 2:08am
Wiper mechanism needed
by Peter0787 - 20th Feb 2024 4:07pm
For Sale & Free
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
diggingdeeper
diggingdeeper
Wirral
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
Floral pavilion promo code?
by TheComputerLab - 31st Dec 2018 2:11pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am
New Enthusiast Forums
Xbox