Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,364
Posts1,033,327
Members14,584
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
15 members (3 invisible), 11,931 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Bunny, Stacey2007, PrimordialPoet, Rinchen, AGC12
14,584 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Moreton History
by IanFife - 1st Apr 2024 1:03pm
Campbell Terrace, behind old St. Andrew's Church on Conway
by KimTheilmann1 - 31st Mar 2024 3:34pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 12:56pm
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
bert1 5
casper 4
lincle 4
Topic Replies
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:49pm
Hi to everyone
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 3:39pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by granny - 23rd Apr 2024 2:58pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 2:36pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 19th Apr 2024 10:15am
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 17th Apr 2024 12:52pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Car paint jobs
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 9:54pm
April
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
cools 1
casper 1
Kylix 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Many years ago I went to London by pre-electrified train. My employer paid for first class and I got comfortably installed in a first class compartment. Shortly before the train started an extremely distinguished looking gentleman carrying a brief case joined me, and we nodded politely to each other and read our newspapers, respecting each other's privacy in traditional English fashion. He could quite easily have been a very senior Whitehall mandarin or a high court judge.

Nobody joined us and we had left Crewe when he looked at his watch, and asked me which direction I thought we were going. I said I wasn't quite sure but I thought roughly southwest. He agree with this, thanked me and retrieved his briefcase and took what turned out to be a prayer mat from it. Arranging this as best he could on the floor he knelt on it and began his devotions. Having concluded them, after probably about ten minutes, he got up, replaced his prayer mat and sat down and resumed his crossword.

I didn't like to tell him that I and he had got the direction quite wrong, and he was actually facing, not Mecca, but Rugeley power station.

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
It is different Mikey, Henry VIII did not break the rules of the bible, he broke the ruling of the Roman Catholic church or the Pope.

In the bible it is recognised that divorce is going to occur. In the Old Testament, laws were laid down in order to protect the rights of divorcées, especially women .
That just shows how little you know, Mikey smile

After the reformation the rules were relaxed in this country. Hence the Church of England. Then Mary reverted to Catholicism and continued with beheadings, particularly of Bishops who had been allowed to get married during King Edward VI brief reign. They had to denounce their wives and many were burnt at the stake. Then Elizabeth's turn...etc. . So I rest my case.

When the time comes, how will I be able find out I was wrong all this time ? Think before you speak young man.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Excoriator
Many years ago I went to London by pre-electrified train. My employer paid for first class and I got comfortably installed in a first class compartment. Shortly before the train started an extremely distinguished looking gentleman carrying a brief case joined me, and we nodded politely to each other and read our newspapers, respecting each other's privacy in traditional English fashion. He could quite easily have been a very senior Whitehall mandarin or a high court judge.

Nobody joined us and we had left Crewe when he looked at his watch, and asked me which direction I thought we were going. I said I wasn't quite sure but I thought roughly southwest. He agree with this, thanked me and retrieved his briefcase and took what turned out to be a prayer mat from it. Arranging this as best he could on the floor he knelt on it and began his devotions. Having concluded them, after probably about ten minutes, he got up, replaced his prayer mat and sat down and resumed his crossword.

I didn't like to tell him that I and he had got the direction quite wrong, and he was actually facing, not Mecca, but Rugeley power station.

Did his actions make you feel uncomfortable Ex ? I think I would have been so. Something not experienced before, is a bit bewildering.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Master
Forum Master
Many years ago I was on a full plane (Air Italia) and a man was sitting opposite me in other aisle with full robes and headgear on , think he may have of Jewish or Greek Orthodox origin.No sooner had flight departed Heathrow and seat belts were unbuckled he jumped up and with these beads in his hand started praying. Obviously I was shocked but then he sat down so I thought that was it but no every 20 mins or so he did same thing everyone was getting abit annoyed but nothing was said to him. If it happened today I think we would have all jumped on him , thinking he was a terrorist. Maybe he was a nervous flyer, who knows?

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Originally Posted by granny
It is different Mikey, Henry VIII did not break the rules of the bible, he broke the ruling of the Roman Catholic church or the Pope.

In the bible it is recognised that divorce is going to occur. In the Old Testament, laws were laid down in order to protect the rights of divorcées, especially women .
That just shows how little you know, Mikey smile

After the reformation the rules were relaxed in this country. Hence the Church of England. Then Mary reverted to Catholicism and continued with beheadings, particularly of Bishops who had been allowed to get married during King Edward VI brief reign. They had to denounce their wives and many were burnt at the stake. Then Elizabeth's turn...etc. . So I rest my case.

When the time comes, how will I be able find out I was wrong all this time ? Think before you speak young man.

Granny you win hands down on quoting the bible and rules regarding its text, my bad wink
We both agree that Henry VIII made a choice through his interpretation of the bible, yes?
So what is the difference between the roman catholic church, the pope, Henry VIII and any other charlatan that can interpret the bible as he see's fit?
Religion is dangerous granny.
I will meet my maker when the time comes and will not be force fed beliefs that are not backed up
By the way granny, I cannot stop thinking of a 49ish hour glass body. Why? wink

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Religion is dangerous granny.---Thats like saying Driving or Football is dangerous

I will meet my maker when the time comes and will not be force fed beliefs that are not backed up-----How would you define being "backed up". For many the bible reveals the plans of God many scoff at that but the same people would gladly believe anything in the e.g.Enclopaedia Brittanica

By the way granny, I cannot stop thinking of a 49ish hour glass body. Why? wink
---Perhaps Granny needs to back that up!!

Last edited by fish5133; 7th Aug 2016 3:27pm.
Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Driving and football are dangerous, no denying that
Define backed up: Proved to be true e.g. Encyclopedia Brittanica wink
"By the way granny, I cannot stop thinking of a 49ish hour glass body. Why? wink---Perhaps Granny needs to back that up!!" Again true grin

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Everything s dangerous Mikey.

Still not understanding are you. Henry VIII split from the church in Rome, because he wanted a divorce, nothing to do with bible interpretation. Rome would not allow his divorce because the Roman Catholic church did not approve.

Is this the reason you conclude religion is dangerous.

quote "So what is the difference between the roman catholic church, the pope, Henry VIII and any other charlatan that can interpret the bible as he see's fit?"

The danger element comes from those who like to put forward their own misinformed calculations and interpretations to justify themselves.

Although, Henry VIII did not do that , he was a devout Roman Catholic and simply wanted a divorce from Catherine of Aragon. England also had Protestantism at the same time. Catherine of Aragon was Spanish , Spain being a very Roman Catholic country too. Henry VII had wanted to unite England with the powerful Spanish dynasty for peace and security and his son Prince Arthur married Catherine of Aragon of Spain.(arranged marriage) 5 months after their marriage, Arthur died and Henry VII had made his son Prince Henry (VIII) vow to marry Catherine, the then Princess of Wales.
This is what happened. Needless to say there was a lot of politics involved and the Spanish connection was to be liquidated if Henry VIII was allowed to divorce her. So you see, it wasn't simply to do with the bible or religion. He wanted 'OUT' after 24 yrs of marriage and the only way, was to break with the Church of Rome.
Spain at the time of Elizabeth 1st was still trying to get in the door again, resulting in the Spanish Armada .

~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by fish5133
By the way granny, I cannot stop thinking of a 49ish hour glass body. Why? wink[/i
---Perhaps Granny needs to back that up!!

What's that supposed to mean Fish ? A saucy comment for one so young. grin

~Chief Seattle
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

quote "So what is the difference between the roman catholic church, the pope, Henry VIII and any other charlatan that can interpret the bible as he see's fit?"

The danger element comes from those who like to put forward their own misinformed calculations and interpretations to justify themselves.

Correct, and even more correct
There is the danger granny, in religion, rather than morale belief of what is right and wrong
I like you and you like me but we have different beliefs, no problem smile
Just imagine a world without religion
What do you think it would be like?

Wiki Guardian
Wiki Guardian
Originally Posted by mikeeb

Correct, and even more correct
There is the danger granny, in religion, rather than morale belief of what is right and wrong
I like you and you like me but we have different beliefs, no problem smile
Just imagine a world without religion
What do you think it would be like?

Simply better !

Forum Master
Forum Master
Could have been worry beads.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
A world without religion, Mikey ? ISIS on every street corner, that's what it would be like. No rules, no guidance and no help.

Cools and Ex made posts about their experience, but they were a gentleman's beliefs of peace through his enforced religious following. That I agree, is how we were in this country and Europe also 450 years ago, but we eventually had a choice and considering there are 2.2 billion Christians , by choice , in the world, it can't be so bad. Today, we are all very nervous about any such experience relating to Islam, and why would that be, do you think ? Those who pray and those who are dead are not to be feared. Do you fear people who meditate, because that's what prayer amounts to. Are they dangerous people ?

Anyway, I think we need to meet for coffee , discuss this much further.

~Chief Seattle
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian

Agh- but would he find that 49ish hour glass figure in the café?

Trouble with an hour glass figure at 49 is that you need to stand on your head to turn back time!

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
Do you fear people who meditate, because that's what prayer amounts to. Are they dangerous people ?

No granny.
The premise of religion is sound, and I will always believe that. Most of our morales are borne out of some sort of inherited belief
Religion is at its base, politics
I always vote labour wink but have the choice of changing my mind without going to hell or burning at the gates of....You know what I mean granny wink

Agreed granny. Just don't tell casper whistle

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
recommendation, please
Car paint jobs
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Wanted Gardener
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
Paddle Steamer Waverley
by diggingdeeper - 5th Apr 2024 7:57am
News : New Topics
West Kirby flood defences
by Excoriator - 10th Apr 2024 10:45pm
Sunak and Reality
by diggingdeeper - 4th Jan 2023 12:56am
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by Excoriator - 10th Sep 2019 9:50am
New Enthusiast Forums
Pigeon breeder
by lincle - 22nd Apr 2024 8:17am
Car paint jobs
Any Decent Restaurant Open On a Mon Evening.
by Uffda - 21st Oct 2012 7:16pm
What song are you listening to?
by - 24th Jun 2007 10:06am
Popular Topics(Views)
5,071,530 WIKI WALK CHAT
4,017,821 Spotted!