WikiWirral Online with you since 2003, fantastic.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,352
Posts1,033,281
Members14,560
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (ArranGirl13, 3 invisible), 8,070 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,788
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Kalena1962, rattus, Lisrush, Emotecreative, ArranGirl13
14,560 Registered Users
New General Forums
New Wirral History
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
D.I.Y. / Building Shop
by mharford91 - 3rd Mar 2024 8:53pm
1970's Murder in Central Park, Wallasey
by cutespam - 4th Aug 2018 10:28am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by Rhoobarb - 25th May 2010 5:55pm
Oleo Works
by Ducko - 14th May 2008 3:09pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
granny 14
casper 13
bri445 4
Topic Replies
What song are you listening to?
by diggingdeeper - 28th Mar 2024 6:06pm
Facial recognition coming in supermarkets?
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 3:50pm
Bolts at Bebington Road
by diggingdeeper - 27th Mar 2024 2:33am
Hot Spot Chippie Broadway
by Excoriator - 26th Mar 2024 7:57pm
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 5:43pm
Lost river (Well, brook really)
by diggingdeeper - 26th Mar 2024 3:09am
Old Hall in Higher Bebington
by diggingdeeper - 24th Mar 2024 5:58pm
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
March
M T W T F S S
1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
Kylix 1
cools 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
granny 3
casper 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Habdab Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
To anyone fishing the Captain's Pit. All the Roach and Bream are suffering from White spot disease, commonly called Ich. The disease is caused by a protozoan parasite called Ichthyophthirius multifiliis that typically affects stressed fish.
Due to an Algae bloom the Oxygen levels in the water are beginning to drop and the fish are getting more and more stressed, there are already a significant number of juvenile dead Roach and Bream floating in the margins.
Ichthyophthirius multifiliis manifests itself as tiny white spots (cysts) that cover the entire surface of the fish's body and fins, which eventually rupture as the adult parasite emerges and drops to the floor of the pond to breed, and it is not to be confused with the breeding tubercles found on the heads of Bream and Roach that appear during the breeding season.
White spot is HIGHLY contagious and to prevent any contamination to other fisheries, after fishing in the Captain's Pit, nets should be thoroughly washed and disinfected, then dried.
This practice is encouraged by the Environmental Agency after all fishing trips to any water.
The outbreak has been reported to the E.A. and A.W.A.C. and they will be investigating the extent of the problem next week.

Fetere sum, ego sum Ergo
Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Always sad when this disease breaks out. Those poor fish frown

Habdab Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
Update:
Hundreds of dead juvenile fish visible in the margins of the Captain's Pit.

Fetere sum, ego sum Ergo
Habdab Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
The saddest part is that the Environmental Agency (E.A.) and the Association of Wirral Angling Clubs (A.W.A.C.) anglers pay a yearly subscription to both of them but they're are not even bothered.
As the controlling body, at the very least, A.W.A.C. should be down there clearing out the corpses of the dead fish, instead of leaving them there to decompose and further contaminate the water. The pathway is covered by headless half eaten fish (Rats). It's a disgrace. Despite taking money off Anglers every year (For what?), neither the Captain's Pit nor Central Park Lake is patrolled by bailiffs with any regularity, to the point where the local tackle shop has stopped selling permits, saying A.W.A.C. no longer looks after the ponds.
To be perfectly honest, I can't remember being challenged to produce an A.W.A.C. permit at either the Captain's Pit or Central Park Lake for at least 20 years.
Anglers pay a yearly fee to A.W.A.C. to be able to fish the council owned ponds on the Wirral. I wonder where all the money is going.

Last edited by Habdab; 1st May 2016 12:53pm.

Fetere sum, ego sum Ergo
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
The Environment Agency has been in attendance and taken samples which are being analysed.

There is very little they can do to prevent these things happening whether it was natural or intentional.

AWAC do not maintain any ponds, that function is down to the individual affiliated clubs. There are only nine affiliated clubs.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Habdab Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
So which particular club is responsible for the Captain's Pit and Central Park?
I'm no longer a member of any Wirral Fishing clubs but I still pay a fee to A.W.A.C.
If A.W.A.C. don't maintain these waters, why am I paying them for the privilege to fish them? They do nothing visible to warrant them receiving a fee. They don't stock, Police or maintain the waters.
At the very least they could pay someone to get the dead fish removed. (Spend some of that cash)

Fetere sum, ego sum Ergo
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
That is the problem, not enough people supporting the hobby, there is a massive shortage of bailiffs, massive shortage of affiliated clubs and massive shortage of affiliated clubs members.

Its not just a matter of fishing, it needs support to enable the infrastructure to work. You get out what you put in.

The permit fees on Wirral are very low compared to many other areas and it would take a massive increase to employ people to do the infrastructural work, it relies on volunteers which just aren't forthcoming.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Habdab Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
I agree, but it still doesn't answer my question, where are all the fees going to, even if they are low?
Also, if the Captains Pit and Central Park lake are not run by any affiliated Wirral clubs and no one bailiffs them or does any work on them, Why do we get charged to fish them?
This post started off as a concern for the Fish stocks and a hope that I could get those in authority to step up to the plate and accept some sort of responsibility for the place, instead of the normal reactions that are shown year after year when things go wrong. If you contact anyone, all they do is shrug and pass the buck.
We can't do anything because ...... (There's always an excuse)
Never mind the excuses, A.W.A.C. you take our money, isn't it time to do something in return?
Apart from the Angling aspect, we're losing sight of the fact that Fish are living creatures. Although not for long in the Captain's Pit unless something is done soon.

Last edited by Habdab; 1st May 2016 8:08pm.

Fetere sum, ego sum Ergo
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
I attended the last AWAC meeting. Only 4 people present-chairman, secretary, a bailiff and myself. At £14 a year for adults and £7 a year for juniors and less per head for Associated club members you are not going to afford full time bailiffs. All fees taken are banked with proper accounting procedures.
Not quite sure of the Council/AWAC responsibilities. The waters still belong to the council and they are strapped for cash as we know.
A lot of maintenance is on the shoulders of associated angling club members and there lies the problem.. Local angling clubs on the decline with the move toward Commercial Waters.

Never mind the excuses, A.W.A.C. you take our money, isn't it time to do something in return?

If you have a permit YOU are AWAC.

I share your comments about the EA as they have £millions.

Habdab Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
You're missing my point entirely. It still doesn't answer my question, I'm not asking for bailiffs, I'm asking what are A.W.A.C. doing with the money they take from me for a licence fee? If they don't Police the water because it costs too much, or they don't remove dead fish after a kill, or they don't run oxygenating pumps when the Algae bloom starts, WHAT IS MY FEE BEING USED for? The council pay for repairs to the bank and to empty the litter bins.
And as far as me being A.W.A.C. is concerned, A.W.A.C. means The Association of Wirral Angling Clubs. I'm not a club I'm a disabled pensioner, an individual, nor do I recall agreeing responsibility to upkeep and maintain the waters when I signed my lifetime membership form.
I do pick up litter when I go fishing, but I do that everywhere I fish.
Now back to the original topic. The health of the Fish and the lack of concern from those who take the licence fees.

Fetere sum, ego sum Ergo
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
They make a payment towards the aeration systems, last year this alone was at least £1000.

Get in touch with the Chairman or Secretary HERE, I'm sure he will let you have a copy of the last accounts if you are a permit holder.

Habdab Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
What aeration system? they refuse to use one on the Captains Pit.

Fetere sum, ego sum Ergo
I too would like to know what happens to the money. I dont and wont fish any of the council owned waters on the wirral anymore for that reason. If you go to Liverpool its free. I have heard of many people asking this same questions for years about where the money goes but non of them have ever had a reply. Unless anyone one on here can explain. Its a shame to hear about the Captains pit in Wallasey as it used to be a lovely little pont to fish years ago.

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
I dont and wont fish any of the council owned waters on the wirral anymore for that reason. If you go to Liverpool its free.
Not entirely £1.60 each way for tunnel....which is about a quarter of the annual AWAC fee.

I take your point about Captains Pit and to some extent Birkenhead Park which has had a cormorant problem. Money was spent there on providing fish protection cages at the advice of the Environment Agency.

Habdab Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
I just found this on the AWAC website... http://www.awac.club/

I quote,
"AWAC will continue to manage and maintain these waters for the enjoyment and pleasure that fishing brings to so many people, and at the same time secure habitats for other animals such as the heron or kingfisher in areas which may otherwise fall into neglect, and become weed choked, polluted eyesores."

Hahahah!

Fetere sum, ego sum Ergo

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Netflix 3 Body Problem.
by BultacoAstro - 22nd Mar 2024 8:04am
Tall Brick Chimneys
by diggingdeeper - 16th Mar 2024 11:56am
For Sale & Free
Wisper electric bike. 36v .
by Dilly - 21st Mar 2024 7:36pm
This is Elvis
by GingerTom - 17th Mar 2024 2:37pm
Member Spotlight
Dilly
Dilly
wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
by Excoriator - 27th Mar 2024 10:52am
Bolts at Bebington Road
by Excoriator - 23rd Mar 2024 9:48am
Get your Money Tree ready
by keef666 - 22nd Mar 2023 12:27pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by CarterUSM - 7th Aug 2020 7:59pm
News : New Topics
Gaza
by diggingdeeper - 29th Oct 2023 9:28am